i30 Owners Club

i30 Petrol Economy

robbo137 · 43 · 11013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The 3drs and Tourers are Euro built models which have a larger tank than the Korean built units I believe.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The 3drs and Tourers are Euro built models which have a larger tank than the Korean built units I believe.
The Korean hatch with the live rear axle has a 50 litre tank, the euro built models with the independent rear have 53 litre tank..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Korean hatch with the live rear axle has a 50 litre tank, the euro built models with the independent rear have 53 litre tank..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Repeating yourself is the first symptom of alz............bugger I forgot.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
What Dazz said. :goodjob2: What Dazz said. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I've noticed that the distance to empty doesn't seem to change as the fuel consumption AVG gets higher or lower. For eg when I fill up it says I have around 670km to empty. If, say when I filled up i'd been doing my normal commute and the trip comp says 6.8L/100km and I reset it when on the highway and my trip comp reads 4.8L/100km - my distance to empty figures remain the same! I thought that it should vary depending on fuel consumption and avg out.

Interesting about the speedo. I have a feeling you are right as when I was doing around 105km at one point and passed one of the electronic cameras that displays your speed - it read as 100km.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
The Mrs distance to empty used to be down around the 700k mark but after a few fills and re-set at each fill, now always shows 830k.
We had Hyundai re-set the ecu yesterday (attempting to fix the continual highway steering correction problem) so I'll check if the fuel info also returns to those lower figures it used to display when new.
A suggestion, if the servo has a slope in the driveway, park the car with the filler on the high side. You'll fill to the max without the nozzle's auto cut off prematurely tripping from air pockets.
Son has a new Prado and its speedo is the same, indicates 100 at 95 actual so perhaps they all err or the slow side.
Most common car I get hassled by is the Camry so I'm thinking perhaps the Camry speedo is reading in the other direction.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 21:06:01 by crayman »
  • i-30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Speedo's always read slightly high relative to actual speed, to avoid any legal claims from owners back to the manufacturer for incurred speeding fines.

Never have been a fan of this system, the speedo should be deadly accurate and the onus for not speeding, placed directly on the operator of the vehicle, but then no one listens to me, it's like talking to a brick wall, sometimes.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Most common car I get hassled by is the Camry so I'm thinking perhaps the Camry speedo is reading in the other direction.

My last two Camry Hybrids under-read by about 5% (so about the same as the i30 and most other cars including my new Calais)

I've noticed that the distance to empty doesn't seem to change as the fuel consumption AVG gets higher or lower. For eg when I fill up it says I have around 670km to empty. If, say when I filled up i'd been doing my normal commute and the trip comp says 6.8L/100km and I reset it when on the highway and my trip comp reads 4.8L/100km - my distance to empty figures remain the same! I thought that it should vary depending on fuel consumption and avg out.

Distance to empty didn't adjust up in my 2008 i30 CRDi or either of my Hybrids (that I ever noticed) but by coincidence today I noticed it does in my Calais. I filled up about 15kms out of town and DTE went to 798 kms. Driving down hill and on the level into our home town it went up to about 815kms as the average fuel economy dropped. by the time I got home it was back to about 800..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I have not taken much notice of distance to empty. I just drive till the light comes on.
Then fill up seems to be around 650 if I brim it. That's all Sydney driving & no motorways.
What is the furthest you all go on one tank before refilling?

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
I have just returned from a trip to Tasmania, travelling around 900km from Mt Gambier to Melbourne and back and 1355km in Tasmania travelling on a lot of very slow winding up and down roads for a total of 2255km I used 185litres of 91 octane petrol. That's 8.2l/100km . I have a December 2013 manufactured i30 Premium automatic, total km's now on 12664km.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:52:32 by Dennis »
  • I30 Premium

Offline lyon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Melbourne
Currently, around town and during commute I am getting 6.5L/100! ! As previously mentioned this includes around 12 sets of traffic lights and an Avg speed or around 40km. It's fair to say that I am more than happy with these results.

How come I've been getting 14-16L/100km for city driving in Melbourne? (looking at those instant calculation on the dashboard)
It's about 40km/hour zone with pretty much traffic lights on every block. I drive really carefully and slowly as well (not pressing the pedal hard on green, etc)

Still on my 400km (2nd tank) i30 though
  • i30 Premium 2014, Creamy White, 1.8L Petrol, Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The most efficient speed for cars is around 80 kmh, a speed which enables the engine to operate in it's best torque & power environment, usually in top gear as well.

Cruising @ 40 kmh would require gear changing from 0-40-0 and this is inefficient for the motor. The car weighs approx 1200 kgs and to move an object from rest to any speed, requires much more energy than maintaining a speed on a freeway.

Idling at stop lights add consumption for 0 kms traveled, so that doesn't help either. All I can say is you're lucky your not in my VP Commodore. It would be a lot worse.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal