i30 Owners Club

Upgrade GD-02 to GD-03

Offline supachicken

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi Guys,

I've got a 2015 i30 ActiveX and I really want CarPlay but with an original Hyundai head unit - don't want to go aftermarket.

Is it just a straight swap out if I upgrade a GD-02 to a GD-03?

DA
  • i30 ActiveX MY15

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think you might get a rude shock at the cost of a new GD-3 Audio from Hyundai!  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Yea im in the same boat. I called my local Hyundai dealer and they said it would be about $2500 just for the head unit let alone installation! wished we got the update!
  • Hyundai i30 Active X 2015

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Looks like if you really want it, you have the options of paying up or going a/m after all. At least a/m options are improving all the time and may offer some pretty cool extra features. You can always put the standard unit back in for resale if you want, and take your a/m whizzbang with you. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline supachicken

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I purchased one from someone who bought a new car and upgraded it to an aftermarket unit.

$29AUD
  • i30 ActiveX MY15

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I purchased one from someone who bought a new car and upgraded it to an aftermarket unit.

$29AUD

:Shocked:

Wow! I would buy a lotto ticket with some of the money you saved!  :Shocked: :mrgreen:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

$29AUD

Wow! I would buy a lotto ticket with some of the money you saved!  :Shocked: :mrgreen:

So you would waste money with the money you saved?  Remember, if something is normally $2500, and you pay $29; you haven't "saved" $2471, you have spent $29!!  The first way is called female logic, the second way is called simple economics.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

$29AUD

So you would waste money with the money you saved?  Remember, if something is normally $2500, and you pay $29; you haven't "saved" $2471, you have spent $29!!  The first way is called female logic, the second way is called simple economics.
Only a little bit! You know me! If I get a bargain that good I'd reckon my luck was running hot and lash out another $7 or whatever rthe minimum is to get a lotto ticket! : lol: 

I see people spending hundreds on lotto when I go in for the odd magazine or newspaper. We probably spend $20 per year!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :rofl: Wife with lots of bags and boxes: "Honey, you won't believe how many thousands of dollars I just saved!"

Dazz, that's $20 more than I spend on gambling. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:mrgreen:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Keep an eye on Ebay.

Head units usually go for $100-150. Would depend how many people have the same idea you do (I would guess not many).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline supachicken

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
It's installed and working. Need a different USB cable and USB caddy and a cram cable to cut out some pins.
  • i30 ActiveX MY15

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory: :hatoff:

Offline Javich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Would you mind sharing pictures and letting us know if you ordered the OEM replacement?

I have seen android chinese replacement unit that will fit perfectly in the headunit, not sure about the wiring though.

One thing that makes me consider upgrading to one of this units is that the outdated GPS that came with my OEM unit is driving me crazy, it will always get something wrong, it won't find an address, it will make you avoid the hwy when it is flowing nicely   :wacko:

It's installed and working. Need a different USB cable and USB caddy and a cram cable to cut out some pins.
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Elite Tourer (Wagon), Diesel 1.6lt, 7DP Dual Clutch Auto, Red.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal