i30 Owners Club

Thinking of upgrading the 2014 GD to a 2016 DM Santa Fe

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Recently we have been thinking about what we will do car wise once we have finished paying off the GD.

Currently what we owe on the GD and what we would get for it are pretty much neck and neck.

We have a camper that I currently tow with my FD. It does the job fine, but a little more grunt would be nice.

We only have 2 cars for the odd occasion that we need 2 at the same time. (Partner catches the train to work)

So we're thinking keep the old mate FD and run it into the ground and change the GD as we don't really need 2 small cars.

Anyone on here own a DM Santa Fe 2.2 diesel? Manual? As their other car? Thoughts?

There is currently a great price on a brand new 2016 plated Santa Fe Active 2.2 Diesel w/ 6spd Manual!

There is only 4 manuals left in the country.

The manual can tow 2500kg vs 2000kg of the auto. Tow ball weight at 150kg with the upgrade pack isn't great, but fine for what we have and possibly intended to tow in the future.

I've never owned an auto car and still can't bring myself to do just yet. So as Hyundai loves to do we have one option and an Active model

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They are a nice looking vehicle for a large 4WD and they certainly get a good wrap. I reckon a 2.2 ltr Hyundai Diesel motor married to a manual 6 speed would be great. I can't imagine the Sante Fe active being too much of a poverty pack. If you can afford to, I'd say go for it! You only live once (as far as I know).. I'll go check that version out on Car Sales. ... Hope I don't get tempted!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ive had a 2.2R Santa Fe diesel manual . Quite a nice drive, the motor purred. But, the Santa Fe has an internal concentric clutch slave cylinder. If it fails, as mine did, it is a major job to replace it. What is normally a 30 minute job becomes an expensive Motor-gearbox removal.
Like most of the small motor SUVs they do not come with heavy duty clutches; these fail if worked too hard, and the dual mass fly wheel has a limited life span.

Overall not a bad vehicle, but get the auto model. The above vehicle had been written-off because of the cost of clutch repairs.

:disapp: SORRY DAZZ :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
What year was your Santa Fe?
Was it a CM or DM?
I've currently got a 1.6 i30 FD wagon with a 5 SPD manual. 160,000 on the clock and clutch still seems good. It definitely wasnt a car meant for towing but has now done at least 30,000km towing the camper or trailer around.

All my cars have been a manual so far. Really hesitate towards buying an auto.

Will definitely think about your advise.

It's sad to think of selling the GD it really has been a beautiful car to own with no issues.

Anyone after a 2014 GD i30 Hatch 1.6 diesel 6spd manual in Dazzling Blue with 50000km on the clock? $17,000?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
2012, CM from memory, it had 160,000 on the clock. As I said, it came to me as a write-off because of the cost of the internal clutch slave cylinder. While in there, the procedure would be to replace flywheel and complete clutch. Quoted parts cost about $3000.
The FD has the usual solid clutch. It will last forever. But, all of the larger diesels (ix35 etc and other makes) all have the spring loaded dual mass flywheel to smooth out the roughness of the 4 cylinder motor. Advice is they last about 5 years but burning your clutch will help to destroy them earlier.

Serious towies and off-roaders get rid of them and put in single mass flywheels.
The main complaint, however, is the light duty clutch.
Under warranty you get the same, no heavy duty replacement.

I have a mate who runs a new Toyota Hilux,( trades in every 2 years) like you and I, he prefers a manual box, but has now gone to an auto because his vehicle was off the road, once a year, having the clutch replaced under warranty.
Another, mechanic mate, has a Navara, the first time he pulled a heavy load he burnt the clutch.

Another point to consider is resale. A manual vehicle, especially used, is not popular. So much so, I rarely trade manual i30s, even though for my personal use, the Diesel FD manual is one of my favourites.
The average SUV buyer dreams of Fraser Island weekends until the day he can become a grey nomad.
 In truth, he will be just another city commuter driving a Wankmobile.  The wife will drive their SUV to the bus stop to pick up the legless kids and occasionally the family will have a thrilling 4x4 adventure as they cross a wet lawn.

Get the AUTO  :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Definitely noted.

What is more probabale?

- the Auto having a major failure

Or

- the dual mass flywheel failing?

Both seem to have their fair share of problems online

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The flywheel will be the last to go....The light clutch is more problematic depending on how much you work it. Some are reported dead at 10,000km.
To be honest, the whole concept of putting a turbo on a small motor to achieve greater power is the same concept as investing savings to get an extremely high interest rate. Both have greater risk of failure than a more conservative setup.
Cheers G

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
And it's been done!

Bought a 2017 Santa Fe Active Diesel. Fully loaded with tow bar, load assist kit, tint, mats, roof racks, cargo liner, black slimline plates and 5 years free scheduled serving for $41,500!

We drove the Tucson CRDi and unfortunately was seriously disappointed. The 2.0 diesel had no get up and go. Felt like a very slow and load petrol engine.

The 2.2 didn't need to be pushed hard to get moving quickly. Even being almost 300kg heavier than the Tuscon. It felt less busy and like a more comfortable drive.

I was really disappointed that an older generation Santa Fe was better in quality too.

We couldn't justify the extra $10,000 for the extra conveniences which most of the time you don't use.

Very sad to be seeing the GD go. It has been a brilliant car to own. I'll be jealous of everyone still driving around in theirs.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
a nice rig, Happy motoring.  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congrats! Did you go for the Manual or Auto..  :whistler: :winker:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Ended up going with the auto. It drove well. Hope I don't regret getting auto. This will either win me over on autos or completely turn me off them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ended up going with the auto. It drove well. Hope I don't regret getting auto. This will either win me over on autos or completely turn me off them.

I'm glad you took Gary's advice. Think you've made the right decision. Sounds like the Auto is more robust and his point about resale is sound as well...  :victory:

I've had over 30 cars in 40 years and about 25 of them were manual! I don't think I'd go back to manual now after 2 x CVT and now an Auto...  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This will either win me over on autos or completely turn me off them.

Doubt the latter, but at least you will be able to sell it. :D

Best Wishes  G.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks mate!

Well the i30 manual diesel sold in 2 days got $17k for it! Wrapped! $3k more than trade in.

Bit pathetic, but it's sad to see my i30 being driven by someone else.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks mate!

Well the i30 manual diesel sold in 2 days got $17k for it! Wrapped! $3k more than trade in.

Bit pathetic, but it's sad to see my i30 being driven by someone else.

Well done! No, that's not pathetic, I feel like that every time I see one of my old cars around. There are still a few around Devonport. Between Trish and I we have traded something like 8 cars in the last 10 years!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm glad it's going to a good home.

In the last 8 years we've done 6 Hyundai's. After this it's probably time to try something new.
 Running telly - XD Elantra, X3 Excel, TB Getz, FD i30cw, GD i30, DM Santa Fe. 3 petrols and 3 diesels

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Holy "ns", Dean, Hyundai should put YOU in their motoring museum! :Shocked:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Quick update on our Santa Fe.

Bloody brilliant decision going with the auto!

The pick up on this thing is unbelievable for a 2.2 hauling close to 2 tonne!

The transmission is very smooth and majority of the time is in the right gear. They transmission has 3 drive modes; normal, eco and sport.

In normal and eco I find sometimes it changes in to a higher gear a bit too soon. Usually 4th to 5th at 60, where I'd rather stay in 4th.

For everyday driving it not an issue.

Flick it into sport mode and it picks exactly the right right and holds 4th longer.

I've only been using sport mode for towing and find it gets it right. It doesn't require as many manual overides as it would if I was in normal or eco for towing.

When cold I do find the first few gear changes to be a little more prominent, but once I'm at the end of my street it's all good. Never owning an auto I have nothing to compare it to.

Fuel economy is sitting around the 8 litre mark, not bad given its rated at 7.8 litres per 100.

We do miss the small conveniences that our i30 elite had like the auto fold mirrors, smart key, climate control and heated mirrors. But for an extra $10k I can't justify it.

While it doesn't have all the extras of the i30 elite, build quality and material quality is definitely there.

Little things like additional insulation in the wheel arches, carpets and soft touch materials, plastics covering floor bolts for the seats just to name a few.

One thing... The door plastics are just as shit as the GD. They scuff so easily still.

Unlike our FD that has had a hard life and the door plastics just hold up so much better.

Only other downside

The Android / Apple Car Play stereo. The microphone quality when taking phone calls is terrible. The other person can hear heavy engine noise and breaks up.

I went to the dealer and had this checked and was told there is a software update to fix the problem, of course the update did nothing.

I thought bugger it, I know this is another of those headunits from Cartronics, so I emailed the guy that helped me with my FD radio issues and he told me, there is a fix, but it's coming in april-may and required the headunit to be replaced with a new model.

Much more helpful​ than the dealership.

This might be helpful for anyone with a GD i30 that has the Android / Apple CarPlay unit as they are the same one as the Santa Fe Active.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting that there's almost always an expectation of a software fix when it's much more likely relocating the actual microphone and upgrading its mounting surrounds (hardware v software approach) will fix such things. About the only thing software could do is tweak equalisation of already degraded audio, a bit like polishing a turd. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Definitely. I was quite surprised to hear the fix was replacement of a new model.

Will see how I go and update. Like I mentioned anyone with the same unit in their GD should have the same fix

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for update, am thinking that will be replacement for challenger when time comes.
GD mic is crap, please tell how the replacement goes,

:goodjob2:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As the others said, thanks for the update and tip on the audio. A bit partial to a Sante Fe diesel.... :D

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Daz, if you're tempted; they're​ pretty nice to drive ;)

I was really surprised at the difference between the 2.0 Litre R-Series diesel and the 2.2 R Series in the Santa Fe.

The 2.2 never needed to be thrashed for quick pick up, unlike the Tuscon I had my foot flat to the floor getting on to the freeway test driving it.

The Tuscon also had a lot more engine noise. Really disappointed with how it performed. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Daz, if you're tempted; they're​ pretty nice to drive ;)

I've liked them since they were 1st released. Unfortunately when we did have a look at one a while back Trish didn't like the highish dash.  :undecided: She is only 5' tall and prefers cars with a lower, less slabby dash (getting scarce)

I also want my next car to be better than say 7 L/100kms in real world driving if possible.

The third problem is resale on my Calais is a lot less than it is worth to me to just keep it.  :undecided:

Mind you, after driving a very nice Camry Hybrid for 2 weeks on holidays ( a car I quite like) it makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have a Calais which is even better in almost every way.  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal