i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 SLX vs SR

Offline kersleywyy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi all,

I am tossing between these 2 cars:

2008 SR ~ 150000km (It is an SR but the dealer put it as SLX)
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Hyundai-i30-2008/OAG-AD-13797122/?Cr=3

2009 SLX ~ 100000km
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Hyundai-i30-2009/SSE-AD-4618003/?Cr=23

Any advice would be appreciate.

Cheers. :razz:
  • i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Nice problem to have, I have owned neither of these cars so cannot assist.

Someone will be along very soon to offer assistance  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
In either car make sure the timing belt was changed particularly the one which is only 100,000km.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Manual is my preference but not much in your choice either way.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's going to come down to condition, service history, nil accident damage really.
Very similar cars.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The SR is closer to 160k than 150......

Personally I would look at the one owner SLX. I could eyeball the owners, perhaps see their other cars to see how they are 'normally' maintained.

All things being equal the SR looks nice and sporty with the wheels, and trim but it has 60k more on it, and appeals to the more 'livley' driver.  The extra 60k makes a big difference it means your a fair bit closer to another timing belt and auto service, and they are not cheap.  You also stand a better chance of doing a cheap cash offer for the SLX as they are going overseas and will be keen to get a sale. All things being equal you could start at $7500 and see where it goes from there. A dealer is less likley to let a car go for a song.

Also the crome inserts in the wheels on the SR don't have a great history of lasting for a long time.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The SR is closer to 160k than 150......

Personally I would look at the one owner SLX. I could eyeball the owners, perhaps see their other cars to see how they are 'normally' maintained.

All things being equal the SR looks nice and sporty with the wheels, and trim but it has 60k more on it, and appeals to the more 'livley' driver.  The extra 60k makes a big difference it means your a fair bit closer to another timing belt and auto service, and they are not cheap.  You also stand a better chance of doing a cheap cash offer for the SLX as they are going overseas and will be keen to get a sale. All things being equal you could start at $7500 and see where it goes from there. A dealer is less likley to let a car go for a song.

Also the crome inserts in the wheels on the SR don't have a great history of lasting for a long time.
:whsaid:

Going overseas, potentially timing belt due, one owner and looks original. Go for the SLX.

Those wheels would not be originals on that SR. To my knowledge they came out with the same as the SLX but maybe in a platinum colour.

Check the colour of the transmission fluid dipstick see if it's pink or brown
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. Yes, I think I'd lean towards the private sale SLX too.. For the reasons outlined. The SR alloys are genuine and look flash, but nothing wrong with the SLX ones... we had a 2008 Diesel SLX manual which is much more economical, but the SLX spec has a good mix of features and a one owner with only 100k on it should still have plenty of good driving left in it.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Welcome. Yes, I think I'd lean towards the private sale SLX too.. For the reasons outlined. The SR alloys are genuine and look flash, but nothing wrong with the SLX ones... we had a 2008 Diesel SLX manual which is much more economical, but the SLX spec has a good mix of features and a one owner with only 100k on it should still have plenty of good driving left in it.

Whoops.  :faint:

Sorry about that chief. Must have been mixed with the Trophy. Can't say I've seen an SR in the flesh now I think about it.

$7900 for this one in Brisbane , 100000 and Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
No probs!  :D

Not a fan of black (in Australia's climate) but not a bad find all the same..  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Myself i don't look at milage as much on 9 year old cars, as i think they last longer if they are driven and motor oil always at runing temp. so SLX 100,000k would have averaged just under 10,000k per year so one oil change per year. plus they show car in the street, that means it has been out in elements all its life. i like to keep in garage. & owner will be oversea's soon.
the SR has averaged around 15,000 per year thats what i call normal. dealer has three year warranty with the SR, your on your own with SLX . check auto has had services, check if fuel filter has been changed, timing belt no big deal price one, i think 150,000 to 200,000 between changes. fuel filter on petrol is inside fuel tank bit of trouble to change.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The wheels on the 2008 SR and the SLX are correct for each car according to my stock.
There is not a lot of difference between SLX and SR. Both excellent cars. Auto is an easier resale than a manual. Rule of thumb, You will pay $1000 more for an auto.
You are being offered a warranty on the SR. That's attractive, but read the terms carefully, look for 'out clauses' before accepting it. Remember, the dealer is including HIS cost for the warranty in the price of the car.
Don't take for granted that the 150k km car has had the timing belt changed. The 100k km is also due for change.

100,000Km is below average for a 2009. On the face of it looks like the SLX the better deal and at a fair price.
Every back yard dealer is going overseas, so ignore that and just look at the car.
Does the rego prefix (XG) match a 2009 registration? Its supposed to be one owner.
Have a look at the top of the front strut towers (under the bonnet). If the car has had a previous frontal accident the joint sealant will probably have cracks .
Check that the closed door , bonnet and hatch gaps are equal. Same reason.
Good Luck

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Myself i don't look at milage as much on 9 year old cars, as i think they last longer if they are driven and motor oil always at runing temp. so SLX 100,000k would have averaged just under 10,000k per year so one oil change per year. plus they show car in the street, that means it has been out in elements all its life. i like to keep in garage. & owner will be oversea's soon.
the SR has averaged around 15,000 per year thats what i call normal. dealer has three year warranty with the SR, your on your own with SLX . check auto has had services, check if fuel filter has been changed, timing belt no big deal price one, i think 150,000 to 200,000 between changes. fuel filter on petrol is inside fuel tank bit of trouble to change.

More good advice here from Lakes.  :goodjob2:
However, the car photographed on the street is just that. Hard to get a good shot of it while in the garage. I have a favourite rain forest site for my sales.
That said, cars always look better in the photo , it hides many defects.  The 2009 is so clean, I get the impression that it has been repainted.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have we confused the poor bugger enough yet  :cool:

On the SLX, the ad seems too well written for a back yard dealer (at least up here) and claiming one owner status is hard to do when your name isn't on the log book.

At the end of the day it is a mix of eyeballing the car, the seller and getting a feel for it. A mechanic is a good guide for the first half, your gut the second.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The wheels on the 2008 SR and the SLX are correct for each car according to my stock.
There is not a lot of difference between SLX and SR. Both excellent cars. Auto is an easier resale than a manual. Rule of thumb, You will pay $1000 more for an auto.
You are being offered a warranty on the SR. That's attractive, but read the terms carefully, look for 'out clauses' before accepting it. Remember, the dealer is including HIS cost for the warranty in the price of the car.
Don't take for granted that the 150k km car has had the timing belt changed. The 100k km is also due for change.

100,000Km is below average for a 2009. On the face of it looks like the SLX the better deal and at a fair price.
Every back yard dealer is going overseas, so ignore that and just look at the car.
Does the rego prefix (XG) match a 2009 registration? Its supposed to be one owner.
Have a look at the top of the front strut towers (under the bonnet). If the car has had a previous frontal accident the joint sealant will probably have cracks .
Check that the closed door , bonnet and hatch gaps are equal. Same reason.
Good Luck
XGS809

2009 year  WYA 000, 2010 year XRA 000, I expect that's correct sequence for a 2009 registered vehicle.

Compliance plate is 09/2009, build date 13.08.2009,

Rego expiry 30 Sep 2017.

Engine number : G4GC9630615

Seems to all  line up well

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:25:50 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Have we confused the poor bugger enough yet  :cool:

On the SLX, the ad seems too well written for a back yard dealer (at least up here) and claiming one owner status is hard to do when your name isn't on the log book.

At the end of the day it is a mix of eyeballing the car, the seller and getting a feel for it. A mechanic is a good guide for the first half, your gut the second.

mate all good info. But, backyard dealers are professionals. They were doing this before you were born.
Rule one: Forget the text, look at the product.

Not sure how I know this  :whistler: :twisted: :happydance: :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

More good advice here from Lakes.  :goodjob2:
However, the car photographed on the street is just that. Hard to get a good shot of it while in the garage. I have a favourite rain forest site for my sales.
That said, cars always look better in the photo , it hides many defects.  The 2009 is so clean, I get the impression that it has been repainted.

I was just thinking, if car garaged , i would expect to see it in a driveway (off the street) rain forrest interesting!!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
claiming one owner status is hard to do when your name isn't on the log book.
 A mechanic is a good guide for the first half, your gut the second.

Mate, not trying to dump on your post, so Ive highlighted (above) the best advice given in this thread.  :goodjob2:

The log book should be treated with some caution.
Services and service dates can be added by the seller.

The name of the original owner can be different:

It was my maiden name.
It is my former husband.
It is my former partner.
It is my mother, she lives with us.
It is my mother, she died last week.
It is my brother who is already overseas and waiting for us.
It is Mahmoud, but my name is actually Mahomet, the dealer got it wrong.
That is our old company name.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 22:27:26 by nzenigma »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
[
It was my maiden name.
It is my former husband.
It is my former partner.
It is my mother, she lives with us.
It is my mother, she died last week.
It is my brother who is already overseas and waiting for us.
It is Mahmoud, but my name is actually Mahomet, the dealer got it wrong.
That is our old company name.

If you were to buy one of those excuses your an idiot... Though, having sold a couple of cars recently, most arn't as careful as they should be.
[/quote]

Actually, all the above would be legitimate changes.

Love them or hate them car dealers, like real estate agents, exist because they provide a convenient avenue for the public to buy and sell an asset.
The Car dealer who has a conventional yard or even backyard operation is businessman who needs to sell product to survive. Therefore, you can say they are self-interested, but no more so than the buyer who wants the best item for HIS best price.

Problem is, and this has increased rapidly over the last few decades, most of the public has a reduced or even naïve understanding of the workings of the car. Here, the dealer probably has an advantage, but he can guide the buyer if he is allowed to.

The dealer has to make the child-like buyer comfortable by creating an atmosphere that makes him or her happy. It’s like persuading a kid to eat its vegies.

The dealer needs to assess the buyer and hopefully talk about the history of the car in a rational manner. Or, he may need to allude to the possible fact that a church-going Granny owned the car. He will skip the fact that Granny’s grandson learnt to drive in the car, regularly pranged it, and held orgies in the back seat.

Beerman, you previously asked if there was a market repairable write offs. Why not?  They could be less damaged and better repaired than Granny’s car that was constantly repaired by the insurer and never recorded as written off. And the back seat will also have less infectious disease. :wacko:

I had a mate who ran a large Chevrolet dealership in the USA, he would change his accent and speech pattern so that it was similar to that of his inter-state buyers. They loved him.
If he was selling a car to Lakes, he would go Ocker and have the car locked in a large garage with a huge driveway. :mrgreen:

True story: I once had a concerned Frenchman who asked me if the ten year old car on sale had ever been driven in the rain.  :wacko:
 Obviously, I said No, never! He bought the fine weather car.
 Naturally, the thought of water with added car shampoo never entered his mind.  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal