i30 Owners Club

Upgrade GD-02 to GD-03 head unit

Offline mrgareth

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Administrator Comment Split from :link: Upgrade GD-02 to GD-03
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2015 model with the GD-02 fitted (with reverse camera but no sat nav). I'm seeing the GD-03 head units becoming more regularly available now:

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD PLAYER/DVD/ MP3/WMA/AUX/BLUETOOTH,TOUCH SCREEN GD, O5/12- 1 | eBay

That one is $200 + $15 postage. As time goes by (and more people write off their cars) these will become common.

As there's no pinout on the back, I can't work out really what needs to be done.  If you look at this thread:

:link: GD-02 Pinout

The pinout of the GD-02 looks pretty much exactly the same as the pins in the photo on the ebay page:

http://ultjap.au.1.s3.amazonaws.com/pinproHostedImages/j/j/b/a/d/fd6467bb-e431-413b-8a6b-2b4caa564a2d.JPG

But I can see an extra connector there...

What did you mean by USB caddy, and cram cable?

EDIT: Found another thread which I think answers most of the questions:

:link: New Possible Head Unit

The ebay link doesn't work in that thread, but they must have shown the GD-03 pinouts and there are 5 pins which aren't used, 4 of which relate to USB. So that must be what the USB caddy is about - you need to work out how to adapt the existing USB port to the new port on the back of the GD-03 model.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:52:33 by mrgareth »
  • Hyundai i30 Active-X

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Welcome mrgareth

If you are after a new head unit just for the satnav I believe a better option (for me at least) is to get yourself a Garmin or similar with lifetime map updates, the benefit being you wont then have to pay for yearly map updates on the Hyundai unit which are always a year behind at a cost of $150 a pop.

Also keep in mind that I think it's the GD04 units that are Apple carplay and Android compatible.

Offline mrgareth

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I'm not after satnav at all (already have a Garmin in the car, I agree they are MUCH better in terms of map updates), just Apple Carplay.

We bought the car in 2016, but it was during the 2015 plate clearance and was a Series 1 model. From what I understand the Series II models have the bigger touchscreen and are GD-03 marked, and these now support Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto) with a firmware update. So that's basically what I'm after.

Looks like I'll have to do more research :)

EDIT: If you look here:

:link: i30 - Apple CarPlay - Hyundai Australia

The head unit looks exactly like the one listed in the Ebay link:

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD PLAYER/DVD/ MP3/WMA/AUX/BLUETOOTH,TOUCH SCREEN GD, O5/12- 1 | eBay

• Hyundai i30 Active-X

Offline Geni30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi,

The difference between the GD-02 and GD-03 audio units are the USB connectivity.

GD-02= Normal speed.

GD-03= High speed.

You need to obtain a USB setup from a later model vehicle.

Cheers   
  • PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi,

The difference between the GD-02 and GD-03 audio units are the USB connectivity.

GD-02= Normal speed.

GD-03= High speed.

You need to obtain a USB setup from a later model vehicle.

Cheers
If the connecting cable to the head unit still fits then there wont be any need to change the usb port near the power adaptor as the transfer speed is provided via the head unit.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal