i30 Owners Club

2009 Hyundai i30 FD 1.6 Diesel Alternator

kimmie · 7 · 5292

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Had a break-down yesterday and the RACV guy analysed and decided that I need a new alternator, after a new battery installed and the 'battery' indicator on the dashboard panel still lit. The car starts fine now with the new battery, but according to the RACV it runs purely on battery as the alternator is not working.

I checked the alternator fuse and it's not blown up... so I think I will need a new alternator.

Got a quote $676 from a local mechanic for a brand new alternator installed, but found some used ones from eBay. I noticed some have 2-pin and 3-pin model. Is there a way to find out which one do I have without taking it out first?

Is replacing an alternator something that is doable from home by an amateur with some tools? I tried to find a video on this on YouTube but couldn't find any.

Please help. Thanks
  • MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that. I'm no mechanic, but definitely don't pay $676 for one. Sounds like you are on the right track. Our friendly techs should be able to advise you.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I think I found the alternator in my car... tried to unplug the connector to see what sort of 'pin' do I have... but there's not enough room to unplug it with just one hand...

• MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Don't thik thats alternator wiring.

You could try with alternator rebuild. All d4fb engines have valeo units installed. Problems with these are in 99% brushes or slip rings or both. Rebuild kit is around 10$ on ebay and all valeo alts have the same one. You probably have 125a version.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Without knowing the exact details of your vehicle like the VIN or date of build , fitted to my 2010 CW, march/april 2010 production

373002A110

Is your vehicle High K's?  Could be the brushes wore out, I have had one of mine open and at 165000k the brushes were looking 70% worn and armature also had decent wear, clutch pulley was shagged.

You can get the parts to rebuild but tough DIY job without the right tools.

There's a guy in SA selling new $400 shipped genuine.

If you're going down the used path, obviously go for lower k and check the clutch pulley. Should lock in one direction, free spin in the opposite.

Engine rotates clockwise so in that direction it should lock, anti clockwise it should release.

They do fail and seize, mine did and when I went to get a used one it too was seized.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
This alternators are very easy to rebuild. No spe ial tools needed except for clutch pulley. This tool is worth 5 $. Also on valeo units you can change brushes and regulator with just phillips screwdriver and soldering iron.
Agree not a job for total beginers but if you have any technical knowlage you can rebuild this alternators very easy and quick for few bucks.
  • 1.6crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal