i30 Owners Club

Buying advice on a 2013 i30 Gde Wagon

Offline Nekooken

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some tips and things to look out for when buying a used i30. 
Currently, I'm looking at a 2013 i30 Gde wagon 1.6l petrol auto.
It's NZ new and has been a company car it's whole life with regular servicing, but also has 151,000km on the clock.

The car seems to be in good condition inside and out.  If anyone has any advice they could give me that would be great! and also what you think a good price would be or what parts might need replacing with so many km done.

Thanks  :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:56:32 by Nekooken »
  • 2006 Corolla

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
150k is a bit high for the age but if a thorough professional inspection checks out ok and the scheduled services have been done at the required intervals then it shouldn't be a problem, the GDe's (euro built) are a good little motor plus you still have a year of factory warranty left if it's been maintained via the book.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:04:52 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The advantage in NZ is.... the WOF  ...whatever it is called now days. Used to be an inspection every 6 months....now ???
Therefore, most Kiwi cars are quite sound. I drive rental cars in NZ that are up to 250-280,000 km, drive ok and will still be sold on.

Re : Good price........ :Shocked:.:do your local  homework, ask people, check the Net , ask a dealer, get off ass Bro :).
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Re : Good price........ :Shocked:.:do your local  homework, ask people, check the Net , ask a dealer, get off ass Bro :).

Gary can say that, he's an expatriate Kiwi.  :snigger:

NZ members and info is a bit light on here unfortunately. So you are most  :welcome:

They are a pretty sound model but have had a bit of feedback that rear suspension in rep cars can get a bit soft with higher mileage (so check that out) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nekooken

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
Thank's for the replies everyone,  I'll keep an eye out for the things mentioned here.  I know 151k is a little high for its age but I bought my 2006 Corolla with similar mileage and it's been great, no problems, so hopefully the i30 will be the same :happydance:

nzenigma your right about the WOF, it definitely helps with weeding out the lemons (for the most part) and inspections are done once a year for new cars and anything older than 2000 will be every 6 months.

• 2006 Corolla

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The car has done about twice the average Kms travelled for it's age. But, the car will do 300k and still run fine. So reliability is not an issue. The issue is that you will always have a high Ks car, especially when you want to sell it; so you need to pay a fair bit less for it now. That's why you need to do your local homework.

Seems they have changed the Warrant period. It used to be every 6 months for all cars. A bit of an inconvenience, but at that rate there were never any big repair bills.
In this State , we only need to do a safety certificate when we sell a car, which may be never!  :head_butt:

Another bit of homework Bro, our petrol GD i30s are 1.8 litre. They are nice quick cars. I haven't driven or even seen a 1.6L. There was one in the late FD but not a popular or common car. If NZ has 2 engines available, check the average price for each and pay less.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@nzenigma try to keep up Gary... the GDe tourers from the Czech factory that were sold between 2013 and 2016 in Australia and  NZ  (like the 2014 one Trish drives) have the 1.6 GDi (non turbo petrol) or 1.6 CRDi it has similar performance to the 1.8 MPi but better economy. CraigB's 3 door hatch also has the 1.6 GDi motor. They are basically the same as the new PD SR but without the turbo. They were quite highly-rated when they first came out.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal