i30 Owners Club

Kona for my son - Now Updated with Drive Report and Photos

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Like dogs balls gonz .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for the info and pics.
That blue looks horn , saw a grey one the other week and thought yucky,  yuck,  yuck, poo  :spitty:
A trip to Glenn Innes, not seeing any relo's there is he ?
Seat height does become a factor. Our challenger is higher, 650mm ground to clear of door sill, still ok for me,  Anita is using the running boards more and more to get in.
Keep us posted  .
His wife, our daughter in law is working down there ATM, overseeing the building of the solar farm.

Solar farm,  will google that, thanks 👍
I have relo's there.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the info and pics.
That blue looks horn , saw a grey one the other week and thought yucky,  yuck,  yuck, poo  :spitty:
A trip to Glenn Innes, not seeing any relo's there is he ?
Seat height does become a factor. Our challenger is higher, 650mm ground to clear of door sill, still ok for me,  Anita is using the running boards more and more to get in.
Keep us posted  .
His wife, our daughter in law is working down there ATM, overseeing the building of the solar farm.

Solar farm,  will google that, thanks 👍
I have relo's there.

:link: Home - White Rock Solar Farm
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I agree with ya Gonz, I’m not overly fussed with the direction all the brands are changing to, the look has grown on me slightly though I still prefer units that are mounted lower in the dash.

The new styling makes upgrading your stereo very difficult as well.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
With regard to Gonzs comment about the screens, here my take on them.

I've only seen the i30 PD, the CX3 and the Kona.
All good in my opinion.
Given the size of them now ( 8"?), if they were down in the dash they'd be almost unusable.
IMHO.  :whistler:

They sit below the dash line so they don't interfere with forward vision.

Two years ago in Canada we had a hire vehicle for a couple of days. Large screen but down in the dash and it was a PITA to use.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Think the Calais screen was 8" and in the dash, but fairly high up.  That seemed to work ok for me.

Trish hates the tacked on screens. I'm not in love with the look but from a function point of view it works great.

If only they temporarily mirrored the heating/cooling info in the screen like in the Calais and others, it would be perfect.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I find using a touch screen in a moving car difficult. I have to take my eyes off the road to find the menu I need, aim my finger at the correct button and in the millisecond before I touch the screen the car hits a bump and I get the wrong selection.  I contend they are just as dangerous as using a phone (for calls, not texts) in a car.

I have a Garmin sat nav which is now only used when abroad on holiday. To zoom the screen you have to touch the screen with two fingers in the appropriate place then swipe them apart or together to zoom in or out. In my Niro (and the previous Vengas) there is an old fashioned knob you turn to zoom the map - its much easier.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fortunately with Android Auto/Apple carplay most of the time you are using voice control rather than the touch screen. 
Calls, text, navigation and even selecting music can all be done by voice. :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Fortunately with Android Auto/Apple carplay most of the time you are using voice control rather than the touch screen. 
Calls, text, navigation and even selecting music can all be done by voice. :goodjob:

What does it do when you abuse someone who cuts you off, like I did twice today......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What does it do when you abuse someone who cuts you off, like I did twice today......

I must push the voice activation button next time I do that.. I suspect "she" will say - I'm not sure I can help you with ... "use your indicators you bloody dickhead"

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I must push the voice activation button next time I do that.. I suspect "she" will say - I'm not sure I can help you with ... "use your indicators you bloody dickhead"

Well she definately won''t be able to help me, though if she was to do a google search the results would be interesting  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see what you mean! (looks like most people use the F word rather than the B word..)  :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal