i30 Owners Club

Changing the engine oil in my Hyundai active blue drive crdi MK2 GD

Offline charles-carol

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I am looking at changing the engine oil in my Hyundai active blue drive crdi MK2 GD. I cannot find a stockist of Shell Helix Ultra Extra. Can anyone recommend an alternative oil that they have used without any problems.

Thank you
  • hyundai active blue drive CRDI MK2 GD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I buy mine from germany, from a webpage in swedish(mostly). I buy shell ultra helix ultra pro AVL 0w30. I think the 5w30 is probably better for you in uk(am-l). Most important is that its acea c3 oil.

Germany is probably the cheapest you can get quality from in eu. I pay less for top of the line oil, including shipping, than cheapest store brand with bad rep costs locally.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I had 3 months ago the 4 year service of my hyundai i30 mk2 1.4 crdi  and I decided to do it by buying my self oil and filters and I went to a great mechaninc friend of mine and mechaninc of honda cars  to do it and I was into the service place and watching. I bought  all 4 filters of the car   (Knecht/Mahle  filters) in low price     - 5lt oil 4600 Liqui Moly 5w30 and 300ml ceramic additive liqui moly for the engine. I have the european version of i30.

After the 3 months I can say I am really impressed. The engine (1.4 crdi of mk2) run smoothly - the consuption dropped from average 6.5 that I had all previous years  to 5.7 lt/100km and  I was amazed. I drive in the same roads and in the same conditions!

And the even acceleration is better. If these numbers numbers are notmal I imagine that my previous services were not ok from the official dealer. as he avoids customers to be into service place....

Regards!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:12:21 by chris_i30gd »
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's great Chris.  Thanks for the feedback.   :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Instroe
Years ago I used to change oil in Australia with Shell Helix Ultra Extra on my 2009 diesel model. Shell Helix Ultra was not recommended. (ultra Extra was a $20 premium)
Shell Helix Ultra Extra is never on the shelf and the Shell Australia website now recommends simply Shell Helix Ultra.
So, is the modern Helix Ultra the same as the original Helix Ultra Extra? Or is the whole thing just smoke and mirrors and any old synthetic oil will do the trick?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Years ago I used to change oil in Australia with Shell Helix Ultra Extra on my 2009 diesel model. Shell Helix Ultra was not recommended. (ultra Extra was a $20 premium)
Shell Helix Ultra Extra is never on the shelf and the Shell Australia website now recommends simply Shell Helix Ultra.
So, is the modern Helix Ultra the same as the original Helix Ultra Extra? Or is the whole thing just smoke and mirrors and any old synthetic oil will do the trick?
Cant say I've ever heard of Shell Helix Ultra Extra :confused: I've heard of Shell Helix Ultra (full synthetic) and Shell Helix Extra (semi synthetic) as two different Shell products.

Shell Helix Ultra is Shells top line oil that has synthetic base stock created from natural gas and is suitable for diesel and petrol engines.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was pretty sure that Shell Helix Ultra was the best Shell product for the diesel and for some reason the ultra extra wasn't recommended.  Dave ( @Doggie 1 ) has always sworn by helix ultra and has done hundreds of thousands of kilometres in his FD and now GD diesel, using nothing else. Many on here use Castrol Edge Titanium (often cheaper) without adverse results and others swear by Mobil one... Any fully synthetic that has the right specs should be fine though.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can see on Shell's website Shell Helix Ultra ECT, not sure if that is what you mean by Extra :undecided: ECT labelling is for diesel cars with DPF which the Australian i30's don't use.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can see on Shell's website Shell Helix Ultra ECT, not sure if that is what you mean by Extra :undecided: ECT labelling is for diesel cars with DPF which the Australian i30's don't use.

I think that was the reason the straight ultra was more suitable for the CRDi ( in Australia anyway)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I think that was the reason the straight ultra was more suitable for the CRDi ( in Australia anyway)
Yep :goodjob2:

The manual lists Shell Helix 8 as their recommended oil though Ultra is a superior product which I also use :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I was pretty sure that Shell Helix Ultra was the best Shell product for the diesel and for some reason the ultra extra wasn't recommended.  Dave ( @Doggie 1 ) has always sworn by helix ultra and has done hundreds of thousands of kilometres in his FD and now GD diesel, using nothing else. Many on here use Castrol Edge Titanium (often cheaper) without adverse results and others swear by Mobil one... Any fully synthetic that has the right specs should be fine though.  :cool:

Shell Helix Ultra Extra was NOT recommended for i30 diesels.
Shell Helix Ultra was.
I have used Shell Helix Ultra in both of my diesel i30s (FD & GD).
The first one (FD) I sold at 136,000 kms.
My current one now has 210,000 kms on it and runs as new.
Hope this helps.
  • Tertius the i30

Instroe
It was definitely Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5 years ago - there is no such thing available now, thus no longer shows on their web site. photo attached.

best free photo hosting site

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I looked into this quite deeply from 2008 onwards and Shell Helix Ultra Extra has never been recommended for Australian i30 diesels (without DPF).
Which is why I used the recommended Shell Helix Ultra.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From what I can dig up "Extra" was rebranded ECT which is the DPF suitable type.

Instroe
Doggie, you're right. I went back through my old notes - sad I know.
It was Shell Helix Ultra that was recommended by Shell website.
However, at the first service that I got a mechanic to do - they used Shell Helix Ultra Extra so I continued to use it until it was no longer available.
Now I just use Shell Helix ultra.
2009 model, 103,000 km so far and no issues apart from a door lock last week, so can't complain about the car. Always puts a smile on my face when I zoom around in it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

However, at the first service that I got a mechanic to do - they used Shell Helix Ultra Extra so I continued to use it until it was no longer available.
2009 model, 103,000 km so far and no issues apart from a door lock last week, so can't complain about the car. Always puts a smile on my face when I zoom around in it.

:goodjob:

Yep, I can still remember the V6 like torque. My 2008 CRDi that I sold in 2010  is still cruising around Devonport in as new condition (from a distance anyway)  :victory:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Instroe. Yes, they're a good thing those diesels.   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal