i30 Owners Club

2011 sr auto to manual conversion

sleeksr · 18 · 5644

Offline sleeksr

• 1st Gear
  • 2011 sleek silver SR Hatch

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
My son is going to be after his first car shortly and it is conveniently at the same time we will be looking at a new car for my mrs. I have told him his first car must be a manual so he can learn how to drive properly. After that I don't care what he drives. Long story short, my mrs currently has a 2011 i30 petrol auto. This would be a great car for him as we have had it since new but its auto. Can some one give me a complete list of items that need to be changed for doing this. I know the obvious of gearbox, pedals and gearshift, but I am unaware of driveshafts, console, ecu, starter and stuff like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would love to keep the car in the family but if it is not practical, so be it. car has only 70 000kms on it so you can understand why I am considering it.
  • 2011 SR Hatch

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :Shocked:
All of the above plus flywheel, etc etc, all other electronics to match the ECU. Week off work.
I could do it but wouldn't, because I could sell the auto easily and buy the less popular manual with cash to spare.

The only thing I agree with is making your son learn to drive a manual.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have a different philosophy. Driving  an Auto is less burdensome and therefor allows the inexperienced focus purely on the important aspects of driving.  That is, acceleration, braking, vehicle positioning, handling skills, other road users etc etc.

My wife was a less confident driver, we had  a manual, the moment I changed to an Auto her driving was so much better because the effort and distraction of getting the gears right.

So my boy has had 12 months incident free now, learnt on an auto. My plan now he's got some real driving experience to get a manual and try to teach him. I believe once he gets his opens there's no restriction but He'll need L's if driving a manual.

6 in one, Half dozen in the other but in a critical situation it's easier in an auto to bury the pedal as opposed to guessing what gear you need or getting it wrong to find you have no power.

Given the value of the FD series now markedly low and the plentiful supply of used versions why would you reengineer the car?

would it need a engineering check I suspect for the conversion?
What faults may be inadvertently introduced?
wiring looms will need to be changed, sensors will be different, ecu wil be different, what about the instrument cluster?

Drive shafts, flywheel, gear selector and cables, centre console.

Is the calibration or ESP items the same in auto and manual?
Interlocks will be different, pedals are not a traditional pedal box either AFAIK.

Autos would be the dominent transmission these days anyway
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What TW said...

I learnt in a manual. Havn't driven one since.

If you have  a good car with 70k on it I would keep it and pay an instructor to teach him how to drive a manual It isn't that difficult and most kids do it that way.

If you really want him to have a manual as a first car, sell the one you have (privately) and go buy a manual.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have a different philosophy. Driving  an Auto is less burdensome and therefor allows the inexperienced focus purely on the important aspects of driving.  That is, acceleration, braking, vehicle positioning, handling skills, other road users etc etc.

:faint: The reason MY philosophy is different from the totally irresponsible , unthoughtful, untechnical, raving nonsense above,  :twisted: :D is that:
 a driver will encounter numerous incidents that require some dexterity. If said driver does not have sufficient skill to simultaneously use a clutch, gearshift and to chew gum; he/ she should not have a licence.

sorry Gerrard, I promise to say nice things in the next post. :P
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:faint: The reason MY philosophy is different from the totally irresponsible , unthoughtful, untechnical, raving nonsense above,  :twisted: :D is that:
 a driver will encounter numerous incidents that require some dexterity. If said driver does not have sufficient skill to simultaneously use a clutch, gearshift and to chew gum; he/ she should not have a licence.

sorry Gerrard, I promise to say nice things in the next post. :P
C'mon. "totally irresponsible , unthoughtful, untechnical, raving nonsense"

Quite the opposite. :mrgreen:

It's ok I understand every now and then you have these conflicts. :spitty:

Maybe the peanut gallery will liven up with more rounded comments :snigger:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The only raving I've read was where the word was first used. I prefer to expose the student to the manual experience up front. We're not talking about PhDs here. Practically every near-illiterate across the world can drive, licence or not. As for the prospect of conversion, a fun project perhaps but hardly economical.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2: Thanks Gonz,  :goodjob2:  but  :undecided: I thought 'to rave' was PhD level. :head_knock:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I thought 'to rave' was PhD level.
:lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Both NZ and TW make some good points. Thanks guys!

In this situation it's logical to just keep the Auto and go with TW's plan of attack. He will be a far more confident driver by the time he ever needs to drive a manual car.  :goodjob:

As the others have all said a transmission conversion in either direction is not economically feasible in a budget 2nd hand vehicle or probably any  vehicle for that matter.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
go with TW's plan of attack. He will be a far more confident driver by the time he ever needs to drive a manual car. 

:faint: There's no hope for the human race  :blubber: :blubber:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :blubber:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :lol:  :lol: :rofl:
You guys crack me up 👍
@sleeksr
G 'Day sleeksr
 :i30:
You could buy a manual of some description, say a 2002  323 , and then resell it once license obtained.  :victory: Saves all the back breaking and afore mentioned hassles . :D

Taught my wife and both our daughters on manuals. Girls got bonus points at test for manual cars.
For what its worth,  I feel that by learning on a manual it gives a better sense of connection with the vehicle that carries with them for life.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:54:31 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2: Mick

Geee, I hadn't realised why I needed all this counselling. Until now....

He will be a far more confident driver by the time he ever needs to drive a manual car. 

Yes,  my confidence went out the window the day I stepped into my Ford Mk1 Zephyr with a manual box :crazy1:  and with column gear shift, drum brakes, cross-ply tyres, vacuum operated windscreen wipers and WITHOUT   :scared: power steer, ABS, ESP or traction control.

Thank goodness I have these young ANZAC s to guide me through my remaining dotage.   :crazy2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2: Mick

Geee, I hadn't realised why I needed all this counselling. Until now....

He will be a far more confident driver by the time he ever needs to drive a manual car. 

Yes,  my confidence went out the window the day I stepped into my Ford Mk1 Zephyr with a manual box :crazy1:  and with column gear shift, drum brakes, cross-ply tyres, vacuum operated windscreen wipers and WITHOUT   :scared: power steer, ABS, ESP or traction control.

Thank goodness I have these young ANZAC s to guide me through my remaining dotage.   :crazy2:

When I'm as old as you.  :evil: If I make it.. I'll probably be stubborn, pig headed and set in my ways too..  :whistler: But it's ok Gary I still like you anyway.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D Always knew you'd come around, Dazz.
All the best 2018 mate.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:D Always knew you'd come around, Dazz.
All the best 2018 mate.  :goodjob2:

Cheers mate! Same to you. Glad you accepted my sledgehammer wit in the spirit it was intended.  :goodjob: :sweating:

Offline Zag

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I wouldn't bother converting just hand it to the kid.

And while I do agree about being able to drive a manual car may matter 95% of new cars completely disagree and only come as an auto of some kind.

Even cars with duel clutch autos is simply a manual box with a computer handling the changes.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with work cars where they only want manual cars
  • 2017 i30 Active 6M

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal