i30 Owners Club

70k Service

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
Hi everyone :)

So attempting to give the car some TLC including a decent service and possibly a stereo upgrade to Android Auto (if I can ever work out how to get a double din unit to fit without forking out £££s for a facia that might not fit). Anyway I digress ...

When I bought the car it came with no service manual or anything so going a little blind at the moment. What I am wondering is are there any servicing things I can do at home to save some pennies? I drive the car a lot and am also a student paramedic so need to keep the cost as low as possible. I have historically changed coolant on an old Fiat Punto so reckon I can get around the engine a little bit, but was wondering what are the quick and easies I can do before taking it to the garage?

Also, does anyone know the belt replacement intervals? I do not want to over run the belts and suffer another breakdown :|

Thanks in advance, awesome forum :D
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
Should have said, it is 70k miles :)
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If you're thinking timing belts you can relax on that as these are chain driven. If you're talking the auxillary drive belt then a visual inspection of the ribbed side for cracking should give some clues on condition.

If it's the original then I'd say fair chance it's getting tired. 100000K is not unreasonable expectation for one to be replaced. Age , distance and conditions all contribute to lifespan. It's a big belt and a bit of a maze routing it.

It would not take much to teach yourself. Changing air filter easily achieved, changing engine oil and filter also not difficult, fuel filter , probably a bit awkward and challenging and if it's an auto not really a beginners job flushing that.
I believe one of our members has slowly been building up a repair and servicing thread.

Have you looked through those areas?

I do all mine and the two areas I focus are regular oil and filter changes and full flush out of the transmission if it's auto.

personally I don't like 15000k intervals on the oil or suggested auto fluid checks . probably do mine every 50-60000k
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for the info :)

Quite relieved to hear it is chain driven.

I have found the posts you mentioned, really helpful so will follow some of them. Although some might be a bit out my ability at the moment.
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal