i30 Owners Club

How to enable Auto Hold braking permanently? (Mine resets on restarting the car)

Offline andrewilley

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I've just bought a new i30 Premium and am starting to get to grips with it. I can't currently find out how to enable the Auto Hold braking feature permanently though - I keep re-enabling it, but the feature turns itself off again as soon as I stop and restart the engine. There must be an option, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Andre
  • 2018 i30 Premium, 5-Door Hatch, Petrol, 1.4lt, Manual, Ara Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Andre,

I doubt that you can. Another member was hoping there was some way to configure that via the setup menu, but it doesn't appear to be an option.

I'll tag member @Hati  he might know.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I'll tag member @Hati  he might know.

On the Australian models you cannot. Not sure why. It is a pain, I agree, because I use it all the time too. Great way to stop wearing your clutch out by crawling at the lights.
I would be surprised if any other market would have this (permanent on for the auto-hold) available, but you never know...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I did a bit of google work, and it seems to be a common question the answer unfortunately is no.

I guess it kind of makes sense, the car would need to know your intentions every time you stopped.

Now if they moved the button onto the steering wheel.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I did a bit of google work, and it seems to be a common question the answer unfortunately is no.

I guess it kind of makes sense, the car would need to know your intentions every time you stopped.

Now if they moved the button onto the steering wheel.....

I'm not sure what you guys mean by the auto braking feature - If you are referring to hill start assist to stop the car rolling back on a hill my Niro does it automatically by sensing the incline - in fact I don't thing you can turn it off.

Perhaps you are referring to feature I don't have.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Watching with interest!
I have always had cars that, braking was from my foot, or the hand brake. ??

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The PD (I assume all models?) has an auto hold button down near the gear selector. What this does is negate the need to keep your foot on the brake while stopped at lights or in a traffic hold up. It has the added benefit of automatically applying the electronic park brake when you put the car in park at the end of your journey. So I'm guessing the manual models probably don't get this feature as they have a conventional lever type handbrake rather than an electronic one. :cool:

Offline andrewilley

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
My i30 Premium manual has an Electronic Parking Brake, which makes the Auto Hold feature very useful as there's no way to do a gentle/partial release of the parking brake during a hill start like you can with a manual handbrake lever. If the engine auto stop/restart feature can be activated and stays enabled, it seems madness if the Auto Hold mode can't :(

Andre

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
The PD (I assume all models?) has an auto hold button down near the gear selector. What this does is negate the need to keep your foot on the brake while stopped at lights or in a traffic hold up. It has the added benefit of automatically applying the electronic park brake when you put the car in park at the end of your journey. So I'm guessing the manual models probably don't get this feature as they have a conventional lever type handbrake rather than an electronic one. :cool:

Mine is manual and ive seen a weird icon light up on the dash occasionally when taking off from a handbrake start.... no isea if this this hill start thingo or not though.

I dont have any buttons near the gear shift.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My i30 Premium manual has an Electronic Parking Brake, which makes the Auto Hold feature very useful as there's no way to do a gentle/partial release of the parking brake during a hill start like you can with a manual handbrake lever. If the engine auto stop/restart feature can be activated and stays enabled, it seems madness if the Auto Hold mode can't :(

Andre

We don't get the auto stop/restart function in Australia on any i30 released here so far. Our PD's are from the Ulsan (Korean) factory rather than the Czech factory yours come from. Quite a few differences actually. For example we don't get the 1.0T or 1.4T motor, only a 1.6T.

But I still doubt the auto hold can be enabled permanently.  I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it that way. Be interesting to see if cars like the new Toyota Camry that have the feature can enable it permanently.   :cool:

Offline andrewilley

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
How ironic if a feature calling itself 'Auto Hold' cannot in fact auto hold, but instead needs to be enabled manually every time. How utterly ridiculous!  :confused: :rolleyes:

Andre

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm really confused with this report.

On my manual GD it used to hold the car when in gear on a slope - the HAC (Hill Assist Control) kicked in whenever it was needed.

If you are referring to hill start assist to stop the car rolling back on a hill ...

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't understand why for andrewilley it would only work once per car start :eek:

... but the feature turns itself off again as soon as I stop and restart the engine ...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Out today and really focused on the HAC.

Topped on hill with foot on footbrake.

Removed foot off brake and it activate but after about 20 secs it deactivated and i had to put foot on brake to prevent car rolling back.

Personally i never use HAC on hill but apply handbrake as i never "ride" the clutch to hold car.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: eye30
after about 20 secs it deactivated

Mine only held the brakes for 2 seconds.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are two different features. The hill start assist (or whatever it is called) doesn't have a button and automatically holds the car (stopping it from rolling backwards during hill starts).

The Auto Hold is to stop the car from inching forward when stopped at lights or in stop/start traffic.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ahh thanks Dazz - yet another gadget to go wrong I guess.

Must admit I'd love such a facility in my auto... I hate keeping my foot on the brake (even in Neutral it can sometimes roll).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Doing a quick google, it appears VW have had the feature for about 10 years in some models and not sure what year this VW is, but it does have the option to have it set permanently.

:link: How to set AutoHold to always be on - YouTube

Also found this...

:link: Little Known Features of Your Hyundai - Auto Hold

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Just to clarify this, the "Auto Hold" we have on the PD i30s is just an automated hand brake. It gets applied automagically every time the car pulls to a full stop if the button in the OP is indeed activated after the car is started. It is also deactivated by the car when the loud pedal is pressed again. This system also applies the brake lights.

Otherwise the hand brake works as normal (for an electric handbrake), pessimism and fear of new from some of the UK members notwithstanding ;)

It is one of the best features of the new generation i30.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Ahh thanks Dazz - yet another gadget to go wrong I guess.

Must admit I'd love such a facility in my auto... I hate keeping my foot on the brake (even in Neutral it can sometimes roll).

that's one thing I do not like about auto, in the city, the need to keep foot on brake, to stop the car moving forward. with manual I just put in neutral , another thing I noticed was in city & always on the brakes, brake lights did not last.
so the new Hyundai feature sounds really good to me!!
How is the economy on your new car Steve?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Does anyone remember what they used to do before this feature /curse was in your car ?  :evil:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does anyone remember what they used to do before this feature /curse was in your car ?  :evil:

It is quite handy Mick although I often forget to use it. Because our traffic light change quickly down here (less traffic) and less traffic congestion, not as much benefit as say in the bigger cities.  :cool:

Offline andrewilley

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

It is quite handy Mick although I often forget to use it. Because our traffic light change quickly down here (less traffic) and less traffic congestion, not as much benefit as say in the bigger cities.  :cool:

I find it useful when you stop on a slight incline, makes it easier to get the clutch/accelerator biting point ready to set off again without risk of rolling back. Normally, like any other driver, I'd just partially apply the manual handbrake, but not pull it up so far that it locks - however with this somewhat pointless Electronic Parking Brake thingy you can't do that, it's much too vicious.

Incidentally, while talking about the EPB, I also don't like that switch has no visible indication to say if it's activated unless the engine is running and the instrument panel is active. It needs a little red status notification LED by the brake switch itself.

Andre

Offline AlanM

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

Andre

We don't get the auto stop/restart function in Australia on any i30 released here so far. Our PD's are from the Ulsan (Korean) factory rather than the Czech factory yours come from. Quite a few differences actually. For example we don't get the 1.0T or 1.4T motor, only a 1.6T.

But I still doubt the auto hold can be enabled permanently.  I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it that way. Be interesting to see if cars like the new Toyota Camry that have the feature can enable it permanently.   :cool:

My wife’s VW Golf automatically applies the electronic hold when the car comes to a complete stop. The Auto Hold feature remains in the on position between journeys. There’s a button behind the electronic parking brake switch to turn it on or off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • i30 1.6 CRDi Active Blue Drive

Offline hoju

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
After reading these comments I'm very pleased to find that Auto Hold on my PD2 June 2018 build remains active and does not need to be reset during my journey. Someone in Ulsan must have been listening. :victory:
  • 2018 PD2 Hatch Active S.Sense 2.0 GDi Auto White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After reading these comments I'm very pleased to find that Auto Hold on my PD2 June 2018 build remains active and does not need to be reset during my journey. Someone in Ulsan must have been listening. :victory:

Thanks for that! Good to hear.  :victory:

Be nice if a  software update made the PD 1 do the same thing.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal