i30 Owners Club

redex or not ?

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Hiya all, just a question, age old snake oil question.. I will be picking up a low mile, 6 year old 1.6CRDI that has a load of Hyundai  service history but I'm worried that the low miles suggests short journeys so I was wondering if adding Redex to a fresh tank of go juice and going for a looong motorway drive will help clear the DPF.. I have never had a car with a DPF, this is my first step into modern motoring and I am paranoid the DPF is going to fail...

So Redex or not ?? Can I even use Redex in a modern car engine ?

I dunno....
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I hadn't heard of that particular Redex product until I googled it. Which is not surprising as we have only just got the DPF equipped i30s in the latest series. (PD) Due to our slightly less stringent emission standards the previous FD and GD series Diesels didn't need one in Australia.

:link: Redex DPF Cleaner - Redex

I can't see it doing any harm, although if you use some and it does trigger a problem with the DPF any warranty cover afforded by the seller may be forfeited (on the DPF). But then you could possibly make a claim against Redex in that case. Both scenarios seem unlikely.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Are you sure the car has a DPF.  I am not absolutely sure about this, but I have a feeling that the DPF was introduced when the GD model was launched in 2011.

If your car has a DPF there should be a sticker on the engine cover warning you to use an appropriate engine oil.  Normally ACEA ‘C’ grade, ‘low SAPS’ oil.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
I recon it has a DPF.. There is a dirty great stainless steel cylinder bolted to the exhaust manifold.. and another under the car which will probably be a silencer.. or cat or something.. so I suppose I'm not sure but I don't want to take the chance.. I haven't got the car yet so I will have a good look when I get it.. I also am assuming it's a U2 engine..
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal