i30 Owners Club

Radiator frame repaired with PAPER

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This Rapidfix adhesive was recommended to me by my mate who rebuilds vintage cars.

It is strong as. I repaired a cracked front bumper then went on to this radiator support frame. 

I replaced a damaged section, on the left side I put masking tape under the crack applied welding powder and adhesive. On the right side the new section is hollow so I pushed 2mm of tissue paper between the outer edges and applied adhesive. It went rock hard. While the paper was strong enough, I also added a layer of powder and adhesive. After the photo, I ground the joint smooth. It was like grinding hard steel. Lick of Paint.
As new, saved $200. :goodjob2:

The Rapidfix appears a bit expensive, but you only need a few drops to complete a repair.

@Surferdude Repair the stub axle on the Vanguard

@tw2005 you can now repair those spiked tyres, even recap them.

@Dazzler perfect for the Tazzie driver who keeps getting rammed by the relatives.

:link: Best of Rapid Fix with Audio - YouTube
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 22:56:12 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee, you wouldn't read about it!  :crazy1: Geddit? Read the paper...  :groan: :needhelp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Sometimes I wonder why I bother  :fuckyou:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I give in. What's the Vanguard stub axle reference?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks like a shifty cover up done by a dodgy car sales yard :eek: definitely wouldn’t pass engineers/pit inspection and likely not warrantable under insurance either :disapp: if I’d found my vintage car had been rebuilt with this dodgy workmanship I’d be dragging their arse through the courts :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

We were talking about stub axles that broke on old Standard cars. If you watch the U tube vid they lift a motor with a cut chain link glued together by this stuff. I may not try that tho.  :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
if I’d found my vintage car had been rebuilt with this dodgy workmanship I’d be dragging their arse through the courts :disapp:

Please describe the engineering standard you and the Courts would accept.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
if I’d found my vintage car had been rebuilt with this dodgy workmanship I’d be dragging their arse through the courts :disapp:

OEM replacement parts or manufactured to correct tolerance, those joints would have no flex and be the first thing to break, repairs like those are simply a quick fix to get the vehicle home :crazy1:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

We were talking about stub axles that broke on old Standard cars. If you watch the U tube vid they lift a motor with a cut chain link glued together by this stuff. I may not try that tho.  :whistler:
We were?
When?
Must have been some other surferdude.
Only conversation I've had about Vanguards is that I learner to drive on one.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

OEM replacement parts or manufactured to correct tolerance, those joints would have no flex and be the first thing to break, repairs like those are simply a quick fix to get the vehicle home :crazy1:

I have responded to your inference that my mate's vintage restorations are poor quality. NOT SO!  :disapp: Two of them are mentioned and pictured in earlier posts.
OEM for vintage ? One can only hope. :blubber:
 You obviously are shooting from the facebook/twitter hip again.
If it is a steel panel it will be brazed or welded.
The example I have posted above is plastic. To further amaze you, it is the bracket on an FD i30 that surrounds the headlight. IT is attached to the metal radiator support.
The unit does not flex and the joint is stronger than the original plastic.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
NZ, I’m referring to the radiator support, which should be metal :undecided: and yes if not able to obtain OEM factory parts as I know all to well difficult to find for vintage vehicles then they should be re-manufactured, liquid welds unacceptable.
PS, I don’t use social media 😁

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :thanx:
All cool here,  lets move on  :goodjob2:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Interesting idea but I'll stick to more conventional ways me thinks.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@nzenigma

You picked a fine time to tell me, Lucille :whistler:

I feel you should run a workshop and  I bring mine around :crazy2:

@CraigB

The rad support is a mixture of steel frame and plastic moulding on the FD and likely similar on other models. Not sure if you've seen any of my images of my rad support , plastic parts broken around the headlights.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB

The rad support is a mixture of steel frame and plastic moulding on the FD and likely similar on other models. Not sure if you've seen any of my images of my rad support , plastic parts broken around the headlights.
A bit different on the GD, radiator support is all metal and lights bolt on the end from what I can see, cant remember what was behind the bumper below the lights when I last had it off.

Liquid welds on plastic isn't an issue as plastic doesn't have much structural strength anyway, was more concerned with structural integrity if it was the metal frame work that was repaired in that manner.

I can remember my brother in-law used liquid weld on the rad support for his XD Falcon after running into the brick letterbox and breaking the top cross support beam (doing doughnuts out front of the house :rolleyes: ) and he wondered why I wouldn't pass his scrutineering check down the strip :head_knock:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@CraigB

A bit different on the GD, radiator support is all metal and lights bolt on the end from what I can see, cant remember what was behind the bumper below the lights when I last had it off.

Liquid welds on plastic isn't an issue as plastic doesn't have much structural strength anyway, was more concerned with structural integrity if it was the metal frame work that was repaired in that manner.

I can remember my brother in-law used liquid weld on the rad support for his XD Falcon after running into the brick letterbox and breaking the top cross support beam (doing doughnuts out front of the house :rolleyes: ) and he wondered why I wouldn't pass his scrutineering check down the strip :head_knock:
I must admit I was surprised when I pulled the front off the first time. I had no idea it was constructed like that.

All sacraficial stuff in an impact, all support and nothing structural really. :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Same. First time I pulled a bumper off I had 30 odd pieces of plastic at my feet.
Marrion doesn't like  Rapidfix because its hard to get the mix into tight places, thats why I tried the paper.  :HuggsNKisses: One major benefit is that its an instant set unlike 2 pack glue.

I have a guy collecting a BMW engine tomorrow , an ideal time to try the glued chain link, me thinks  :fingers: :happyjumper: :Ouch:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Same. First time I pulled a bumper off I had 30 odd pieces of plastic at my feet.
Marrion doesn't like  Rapidfix because its hard to get the mix into tight places, thats why I tried the paper.  :HuggsNKisses: One major benefit is that its an instant set unlike 2 pack glue.

I have a guy collecting a BMW engine tomorrow , an ideal time to try the glued chain link, me thinks  :fingers: :happyjumper: :Ouch:
Why don't you throw in the car as well and clear some space :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@nzenigma
Looks like a useful bit of gear. I have a couple of panel lugs that need a bit of help/ strengthening on my bikes and also a cracked fiberglass bikini fairing.
Purchased from ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mick got it from a auto paint supplier, but also Ebay etc.
First blush, i'm impressed, seems to live up to the claims on Utube.

PS dont glue then hold the lugs in place, unless you are willing to go without food and sex for a month.  :happydance:

Instant drying.  :winker:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Mick got it from a auto paint supplier, but also Ebay etc.
First blush, i'm impressed, seems to live up to the claims on Utube.

PS dont glue then hold the lugs in place, unless you are willing to go without food and sex for a month.  :happydance:

Instant drying.  :winker:

Cheers will track it down.
Can't go without food  :Shocked:
 ( nerve damage pain meds killed the other 5 years ago   :blubber:  :blubber:  :disapp:)
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Mick, if the lugs are plastic  the wurth plastic weld kit (very similar to this stuff) works great and not too savage on food intake or sex life.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Do you still work for Kodak ?  :snow:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I wish his eye would stop staring at me.

Cos,

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Nope, and never have.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal