i30 Owners Club

New caliper - Mobis or Kasco?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Need to buy a new passenger side rear caliper, on the parts site it states ‘Manufacturer restriction’ and then either Kasco or Mobis. Is there any difference?
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Need to buy a new passenger side rear caliper, on the parts site it states ‘Manufacturer restriction’ and then either Kasco or Mobis. Is there any difference?
Why? can it be refurbished?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
583101HA00 (left Rear)

all rear calipers are listed as the same, so maybe there is a good one out there on a wreck?

you can get the bits to refurb the assembly though, like pistons, seals , guide oins etc.

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Thanks.
I was thinking of a refurb kit but in all honesty I can’t be bothered I’d rather just swap it out and stick a whole new one on. Plus knowing my luck I’d take apart the original and find somethings totally ruined inside.
New TRW unit is about £60 so it seems pretty reasonable
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just a word of caution.
Brakes are very sensitive pieces of equipment.
If they aren't carefully matched, uneven braking could result.
A new unit will be operating at peak efficiency and if it's matched with an older unit on the other side, that's probably not ideal.
At the very least overhaul the other unit with new seals and boots. Carefully check the piston and bore for any scoring or marks.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks.
I was thinking of a refurb kit but in all honesty I can’t be bothered I’d rather just swap it out and stick a whole new one on. Plus knowing my luck I’d take apart the original and find somethings totally ruined inside.

Compared  to 11 pounds for 2 bolts,  it's an absolute frrking bargain.  Grab 2 !   :rofl:  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just a word of caution.
A new unit will be operating at peak efficiency and if it's matched with an older unit on the other side, that's probably not ideal.
At the very least overhaul the other unit with new seals and boots. Carefully check the piston and bore for any scoring or marks.
Good point  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Thanks.

Compared  to 11 pounds for 2 bolts,  it's an absolute frrking bargain.  Grab 2 !   :rofl:  :goodjob:

It’s the time the car would have to be off the road while I take the caliper off and then strip it down (something I’ve never done before) whereas a new one I can just straight swap.

Just a word of caution.

I’ve heard differing views on this one. The one that seems to make sense is that calipers either work or they don’t, an older one shouldn’t work noticeably different to a new one unless it is sticking/failing. Plus this is the rear brakes which provide minimal input compared to the fronts. I had a front caliper changed by a garage a month ago and they were happy just doing one side (even though I’d have potentially paid more) and I’ve noticed no difference or pulling to one side since.

I’ll see how I get on, if there’s a big change then the other caliper is probably on the way out and that’ll get changed to. Cars done 103000 miles so I guess things just start to wear out
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal