i30 Owners Club

CV joint is making a clicking noise

Offline Mark2020

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Antrim
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and was looking for some help if possible. I bought an i30 April 2018 with 48k. The car was in for a health check its a 1.6 d with 61k. After the health check I noticed this clicking type noise and thought it was a bush creaking. I brought it to a mechanic friend and confirmed that it was the drive/ cv joint. Should the health check not flag this issue? I complained several times before about a grinding noise from the same wheel. It was checked during the service I was told they couldn't see anything
The warranty run out during covid lockdown in June .
Has anyone any experience of either the noise or dealing with Hyundai out of warranty but complained about a fault before it run out.
  • 2015 i30 1.6 diesel bluedrive

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I think if you have something in writing that shows that this is a problem you highlighted whilst the car was in warranty and the dealer didn't pick it up when being serviced, then I think you'd have a case for arguing they should have spotted it then and fixed it. However, your case may be weakened if you got the car back after being serviced and it still had this fault but you didn't tell them straight away.

If you drive the car around fairly slowly on smooth ground whilst turning the wheel from side to side then the clicking or grinding would be CV joint or bearing. A suspension joint knocking would show up going over bumps, although I've also had knocking when I've forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts!

If the dealer won't fix it as a gesture of goodwill you can always imply that if they don't, you won't use them for any servicing in the future.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Mark2020

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Antrim
Thanks i will try the dealer because I have a service plan running. Cheers
  • 2015 i30 1.6 diesel bluedrive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sure I read on hy uk web page if  warranty expired during 1st  lockdown it was to be extended to cover same period.

Not sure for how long but best check with their site/ dealer.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal