i30 Owners Club

i30 2018 and technical defects

Offline motorfan10

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Berlin
I am thinking about buying an i30 as a used car from 2018. What is the basic situation with technical defects and something like that? Do I have to expect that I have to go to the garage more often?
  • Hyundai electric

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Modern Hyundai's are generally far more reliable than the average European car, like Renault, Fiat, VW etc.. Korean cars are more in line with Japanese cars as far as reliability is concerned, despite your cars being built in Czechoslovakia.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I have a 2015 1.6 diesel and in the 4 years and 109,000km I have owned it, nothing has gone wrong. The only time it has been off the road is for servicing.

My previous 2011 diesel is now owned by my partner and has now covered over 320,000km. Other than wear and tear, very little has gone wrong. One day it wouldn't start because the battery had failed. It had a wheel bearing and air-con condenser replaced under warranty. Other than regular oil and filter changes, the engine has required zero attention.

I believe the engineering has all been done in Germany.
  • i30 CRD

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Verified faults (and warranty repairs) on my i30 GD:

2x rear calipers replaced under warranty

Seat runner in the vehicle was rusting - replaced under warranty

Oil leak caused premature wear to clutch - replaced under warranty after dealership took 2 days to diagnose the oil leak.....

Underneath of the vehicle is rusting more quickly than a Ford and Toyota of a similar age.

Toyota and Honda vehicle cost more for a reason, but you pays your money and takes your choice. Doubt I'd buy another Hyundai based on this experience.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Verified faults (and warranty repairs) on my i30 GD:

2x rear calipers replaced under warranty

Seat runner in the vehicle was rusting - replaced under warranty

Oil leak caused premature wear to clutch - replaced under warranty after dealership took 2 days to diagnose the oil leak.....

Underneath of the vehicle is rusting more quickly than a Ford and Toyota of a similar age.

Toyota and Honda vehicle cost more for a reason, but you pays your money and takes your choice. Doubt I'd buy another Hyundai based on this experience.

Fair call. Absolutely no such issues with rust in Australia where roads are never salted. Plus 99% of our i30's are sourced from Korea rather than your Czech factory.  Don't know if that makes any difference.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only problems ever on my little Czech built GD was chrome peeled on the grill and window switches on both doors, all replaced under warranty.

The drivers door window switch was actually out of warranty and still replaced free of charge :)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Come to think of it, the paintwork wasn't very good on my 2011 car. Along the leading edge of the rear nearside door, and around the top of the tailgate where the high level brake light is mounted, the paint looked so thin that it looked rusty underneath, although thus far it hasn't started to bubble up.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal