i30 Owners Club

Interior 'reading' light LED replacement

Craig · 18 · 10898

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I thought this would be pretty straightforward but I'm having no luck.  My i30 has blown both bulbs of the interior light at the front of the car (the ones just beside the fold-down sunglasses holder thing).  They didn't blow at the same time, but both have gone within about six months of each other.  I thought it would be easy enough to pop in some LED direct replacements (from what I can tell, LEDs usually fare better with any voltage spikes so should last longer) but I can't for the life of me find any.  I asked my local garage about it and they said that the bulb manufacturers don't really seem to care about making direct replacements as they make too much easy money with the old filament bulbs.

Can anyone tell me what LED bulbs I can get that I can use as a direct replacement for those filament bulbs?  I am not interested in a kit, only a direct replacement.

Thanks.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Apparently these are direct bulb replacements (though note the images are indicative only) :link: Aftermarket LED Interior Light Fit 2008 2012 Hyundai I30 I30CW Elantra Touring | eBay
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
From the description they only fit if I have a sunroof?  :confused:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
From the description they only fit if I have a sunroof?  :confused:

Sorry NFI - AU models are Korean and I have no idea what the difference is between them and the non-sunroof Czech models.

Maybe we need to see some photos of the respective bulbs in your model? So we can compare with those in AU models (I will try to remember to grab some images).     Though I sought of wonder if the item 'not fit without sunroof'/'item fit on sunroof model only' is because one of the bulbs that make the 'item' can be used/fitted - not that none of them fit...

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
When I was searching for LED replacements for those bulbs, I found that they were described as "festoon" bulbs. Search for "festoon led" on ebay.
They typically come in 31mm or 36mm lengths.  I don't recall the appropriate size for your car.  The same type of bulb is used in the center ceiling light, as well as the boot.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hmm, I thought the festoon was just the big one in the middle of the roof.  I'll check into it, thanks.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Cheaper to make your own.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hmm, I thought the festoon was just the big one in the middle of the roof.  I'll check into it, thanks.

I just checked me 2010 FD (wagon - but I am not sure that will make much difference) - BUT remember this is a Korean made car.   In mine the lights are...

• cabin/center/middle of roof: 12V10W Festoon - assume 31mm typical length (exact length was 29.64mm)
  • vanity mirror: 12V5W Festoon - again assume 31mm typ length (exact was 30.20mm)
  • front map/reading (i.e. near rear-view mirror): 12V10W Wedge - T10 (exact width at wedge part: 9.34mm)
( These match the bulbs pictured in the listing and description seems to indicate the same info as the pictures )

Again not sure what the difference is for your vehicle (non-sunroof Czech) - causing the vendor to say the item it won't fit - but those are what is in my Korean 2010 FD.

Assuming you have the sunglasses holder, and it is similar to the ones in AU, you will need to unscrew and take out the whole unit to get to the bulbs (the holder they are in can only be released from the back-side - trying to pry the lenses out from front will probably mark the surrounds and damage them but still not give access).   The vanity/cabin lenses just clip in - seems to unclip easier if edge towards front of car is levered.

I did take photos - might post them later (got to go to a meeting soon).

Also think I have pretty well worked out the control system for the lights and how the BCM controls them - least for the FD.  Haven't had time to try to observe the 'decaying' 12V line mentioned by, I think, one of the VIPs (also can't remember if that was for FD or GD).

BTW IIRC the GD tourers in NZ, and I think AU, might be EU made (or at least were a couple of years ago) hence only coming in 1.6L (but maybe that has changed) - but that is a different story/model to the one being discussed above.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Be interesting to know what the difference actually is.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Be interesting to know what the difference actually is.

Definitely.  I'll see if I can get access in a few hours.  Thanks for the info on the lenses.  I had assumed that was the way in!

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Had a look but couldn't see any screws to undo to release the assembly.  Will post up pics later when my phone gets some charge.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Maybe I'm making a meal of this.  Just watched this video and it seemed pretty trivial.  :link: Hyundai Sonata LED install with Sunroof - YouTube

Okay it's not a Sonata but still.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I think you just open the sunglass compartment, get your fingers on the inside edge of the clear plastic light cover and pull outward.  It just pops out.

Good luck with it.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline martyni30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
You will need to get the 31mm festoon LED bulbs for the reading lights it's an easy job about 10mins to do it and they do look good when done so much brighter.Remember to do the back light for the rear passengers otherwise the front will be bright and the rear will be that dull yellow.
  • 2011 i30 1.6crdi tourer

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I finally got around to opening up the map light and checking what was there. Festoon LEDs on the way :)

The fiting:

The bulb:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nothing wrong with kits if you mean flat panel LED with festoon adapter wiring. This is what I put in my centre cabin and boot lights and they're fantastic. Big square arrays of LEDs resting against the lenses.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal