Driving Without Insurance

AlanHo · 9 · 1769

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
One of my near neighbours has put his house up for sale and has decided to move into a care home.

He is 89 and as fit as a flea but has no living relatives and has decided to make the move while he is fit enough to put up with the trauma of the move. Rather than leave it until he is ailing.

10 days ago he sent an Email to his car insurers worded as follows :-

"This is to advise you that although I am in good health, I have decided to move into a care home and give up driving when I do. My car insurance expires on June 6th and I write to ensure that you do not automatically renew it by direct debit which you can now cancel".

Last Friday he received a letter from them confirming that they cancelled his insurance 8 days ago and enclosing a statement showing they had refunded the premium for the unused insurance from which had been deducted a £45 administration charge.

He was horrified to learn that he has spent the last 8 days driving without insurance and asked me whether I thought his Email was not clear. To make matters worse - when he phoned them they told him that they could not reinstate the policy and he would have to start from scratch. The new policy for just 4 months is almost as much as the previous year's premium - which he has accepted. :crazy1:

You or I would have kicked up merry hell at this treatment - he has been with the same insurer for 7 years - and I suggested that he should fight them over it. But he wants a quiet life and cannot be bothered.

A man who is moving into a splendid private  care home where the monthly fee for his apartment suite and full board is £6,900, is clearly not short of money.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think someone at the insurers has misread

My car insurance expires on June 6th and I write to ensure that you do not automatically renew it by direct debit which you can now cancel

I'd play holy hell and ask them where I'd said I'd asked for it to be cancelled immediately.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I suspect they'd be happy to highlight 'you can now cancel'....

Very poor service, they should clearly have reinstated it for the old guy <sigh>

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have, of course, made those points to him and even offered to contact them on his behalf.  However - his focus is on his move of home and he is quite happy to leave things as they are now he can drive again fully insured.

He has a VW polo 4 door 1.2 petrol with 33,000 miles on the clock with a 55 (September 2005) registration which he has owned from new and had regularly serviced. It looks like new. The VW garage have offered him £500 for it. Being generous I told him that I would give him £750 for it when he is ready to sell. I will either sell it on or offer it to one of our respective grand kids.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I am a mild mannered and easy going chap (in most situations)  :evil:

However, I would have exploded if that happened to me!  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

6,900 pounds a month! f**k!  :Shocked: :faint:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

This is it

http://www.sunrise-care.co.uk/care-homes/knowle/overview.aspx

It really is a nice place - luxury retirement living on a budget - a big one.. :whistler:.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Certainly looks a nice place . With what I could afford I hate to think what I would end up in if  I was in that position.  :(
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A lot flasher than where my dad lives! But he does get brilliant care and seems happy in his smallish room with ensuite...  :undecided: I don't handle his finances, but think he pays maybe A$1800 a month after paying an initial lump sum?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal