i30 Owners Club

About car service (To chill out or not.)

John B · 16 · 3070

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Guys, Like to get a few opinions. Tried a new Hyundai dealer for my i30 service when it was last due. The problem is the service bay is not on the premises, it is about 2,5 km from where you book it in. The car is picked up from reception by one of their  technicians and driven to the workshop, and supposedly road tested on the way there and back. They unplugged my front dash cam but I also have a rear dash cam hardwired which was left on. On looking at my sd card at a later date I found that the car went to the service centre from reception was then driven back to the dealers reception ,picked up a passenger ( probably a mechanic that was returning a serviced car ) returned to the workshop and then probably serviced my car. The dash cam then recorded the car heading back to the reception but just before the dealers heading off in a further 2 to 3 km detour  (  probably claimed to be a road test back to the dealer ) . I have not approached the Service Manager yet as I am not quite sure if I am being too picky. In all I estimate about  9 / 10 km for the service. In all fairness this dealer is about  15 km closer than the dealer I used to use.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What a strange set up.  :undecided:
I think the distances involved are probably acceptable given the circumstances, plus we often complain about techies not testing a car far enough so this might be a point in their favour.
I guess the most important thing is, were you happy with the service?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Surferdude, Yes happy with the service but felt a bit peeved with car being used as taxi service. I thought they would have a company car to ferry mechanics back and forth. :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They unplugged my camera at my last service. Wish i had a back camera! I think Trevor is right John. I would be a bit peeved too, but would probably just cop it on the chin.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz. Decided to have a civilised chat with the Service manager ( a real nice guy ) he sincerely apologised and told me it is company policy that customers cars are not  allowed to pick up and drop off mechanics and when tracing back to the mechanic that serviced my car told me he was no longer with the company having left some time ago. He assured me that it would not happen again. I trust him so will be using them again.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

when tracing back to the mechanic that serviced my car told me he was no longer with the company having left some time ago.

How long after service did you speak to the garage?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

when tracing back to the mechanic that serviced my car told me he was no longer with the company having left some time ago.

How long after service did you speak to the garage?

I left it too long . Seeing I do not do many kms  my dash cam does not overwrite for a long while so I don't check it very often.. I did explain to the service manager that I did not expect him to chastise the mechanic I just  wanted to know his policy on the car being used as a taxi. 

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally I would want to know why they disconnected my dash cam?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Personally I would want to know why they disconnected my dash cam?

Yeah, first time they have made it obvious with mine (left it unplugged)

I forgot to say something at the follow up phone call...  :head_butt:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Found this interesting article regarding dash cams and car service.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nowra-toyota-refuses-to-service-customers-cars-if-dashcam-running/news-story/a34b56666ed80242afc214c1a788864a
Be interesting to see if they maintain that attitude after a "discussion" with Toyota Australia.
Simple answer.
Find another service outlet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks/sounds/smells like they have been previously caught doing the wrong thing... I have a video somewhere of a service on my Toyota Hybrid. Dumb and dumber...  :head_knock:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
After previously stating I would return to the Hyundai dealer I am now seriously considering returning to the service centre that I used for several years before buying the i30. It is a small garage with 6 long term technicians including the owner & RACQ approved and very capable of servicing the i30. I not sure but maybe  some warranty work may have to be returned to a Hyundai dealer, perhaps some of you guys that use non Hyundai dealers can enlighten me on that. On contacting the garage I used to use I have been assured that they are not at all interested in turning off dash cams as they have nothing to hide and are surprised that the Hyundai dealer insisted on turning them off. They were also astounded that the workshop was not on their premises and that they did not want customers to know where it was, this was the reason given to me why they did not want the dash cam on. I can only see one problem and that is I can not have Hyundai roadside assist but having read the conditions it stated only 2 free call outs per year and then you pay. If it is a warranty claim you will then have to get Hyundai to reimburse you the cost of towing etc. RACQ cost for a plan that suits me is $ 98 a year, the Hyundai road side  assist with bridging is $16.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re not wanting customers to know where the service unit is............is it an indy doing it at fraction of cost then they charge you hy cost!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Re not wanting customers to know where the service unit is............is it an indy doing it at fraction of cost then they charge you hy cost!
Interesting thought.
But surely (I hope), Hyundai Aust would want to make regular compliance inspections of their dealerships.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

No , I got good look at the workshop when they did not realise my rear camera was operating, it also showed where the service centre is located. The service bays actually looked quite tidy and the mechanics were in company overalls. Just can't get my head around their policy of keeping the customers in the dark. The service managers explanation was he did not want customers going  to the service centre and trying to get jobs done with out booking in at the dealer which seemed a bit weak to me. The service centre I am thinking of going to is very professional and friendly they are about $20 cheaper on a  36 month service than the Hyundai dealer but with no Hyundai free road service I will have to pay $98 for road service with RACQ.  In the end it will cost me slightly more but at least I can trust them.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal