i30 Owners Club

My experiences with keema Springwood

ttc · 22 · 6290

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Firstly I actually used to work for this company, so this how they treat the people they do know!
I bought a Barina from there, the finance guy signed me up for all these extra insurances that I neither wanted or was told about, first I knew was when the paperwork was sent to me. i had to go through the hassle of having them cancelled. They had a warranty that required the car to be serviced with them, they damaged the front guard and the car went back on a tow truck because they didn't put the spark plugs in correctly..
Now to my i30. It was a demo, only a handlful of km's on it, but I went over it carefully before I agreed to buy it. Pickup day, we're checking it out and see the front bumper bar has been scratched in a few places by the pre delivery people. I said it had to be repaired so they organized a day for it to be touched up. I picked it up, and the repair was awful. I said that to the salesperson that was there and his reply to me was 'It was a demo, too bad'.  I kicked up a fuss and it was semi fixed, still not the best job.
I swore that day that the car would never go back in their driveway again, and it hasn't. Hyundai rang me up one day and asked if I wanted a free service as they wanted to use my car to mystery shop a service department.. I said yes until they said it was Keema, then I said no, not interested, it's not going there.
I did ring them up one day when I was trying to source some wheels for it, I found some second hand off an i45 and I wanted to know if they'd fit as the offset was listed as different to the standard wheel.. the lady in the service was quite rude, told me it was illegal to change the offset. Mind you I found out later this type of wheel had been fitted to i30 earlier Elite models so it was perfectly fine.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
A sad story. It would never have happened in Henk's day.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What Trevor said. Very poor!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
After sales service is an area where Hyundai Australia needs to spend some dollars, IMO.
They sell great cars and all is well as long as nothing goes wrong, then you have to go into battle, which is a shame.
After several sad stories, I did have a good experience with Mandurah Hyundai, although I don't know if that is typical.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You should try Tamworth Hyundai (in 2 weeks time)  :goodjob2:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From my experience you should try Robina Hyundai or Browns Plains Hyundai. Both have been reasonable.

But I get my services done by a local bloke.

Firstly because I know I get a qualified bloke working the tools, secondly because if I have ever had a problem with his work it is fixed without argument and finally because if all these 'fixed price services' achieve their goal the little blokes will be gone, then watch the price of a service fly up.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Not much better at Keema Mt Gravatt - had my Excel serviced there for a few years... work was a few KMs down the road, etc..   Nothing major to complain about - just little things not being done and/or a few things that likely should have been advised about that weren't, so on and so forth.

But when a salesman works out a "drive-away" price (to me that is everything included and all discounts applied) - I asked if it was he said yes.  And that doesn't match near what the same place, a week or two before, had jotted down indicative drive-away prices ranges and value of various promotions (which were all still on).  Then when your leaving to go look at a used Elantra - says 'when you come back we can work on getting the price down.'   That is what lost me for them...  later worked out 'getting the price down' would likely have been a theatrical piece - hiding the factory/promotional discounts (which should already have been) being applied - where I would feel really happy for getting 'such a great deal on a new car'.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
I hate that. Just give me the price and let's get on with it. Once they start with the I can't give you our best price until you agree to buy type of thing,  I'm out of there.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
^
I hate that. Just give me the price and let's get on with it. Once they start with the I can't give you our best price until you agree to buy type of thing,  I'm out of there.

Yup.  When I ask 'if that is the drive-away price' after they 'worked out a price' - I am effectively asking them is that the best price they are prepared to offer at the time. I am not saying I want a price that isn't open to negotiation - just that if I snap my fingers and buy at any particular instant I know exactly how much I will pay all up through whichever dealership I choose to buy from. It might be I find a better price elsewhere and ask for a lower price - then it is up to the dealer if they want the sale or to pass; or I might just not come back in that case. In any event I am not going to commit to a multiple $10K purchase without knowing the exact price.

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
I worked at keema mt Gravatt and Springwood selling cars. There was a customer who came in, we chatted, he made it very clear he didn't want to buy yet, he was just looking. I didn't push the point.
A few weeks later he came back and bought a car from someone else, I got singled out at a sales meeting for not doing my job properly for not continuing to call the customer. My theory was I treated the customer how I'd like to be treated. if I want to buy a car, I will buy a car when I'm ready, not be hassled into it. It was one of the jobs I hated the most of any I've done.
There was one guy who was awesome, he was deaf, he came in on a motorbike. I took him to my office, showed him a pic of my bike,  we had a great connection and he bought a car :D

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was one of the jobs I hated the most of any I've done.

Yep, I can relate to that! I was a car salesman for three weeks then gave my notice.... Hated it. Long hours, poor money until you got established, having to bend the truth... etc... :disapp:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I worked at keema mt Gravatt and Springwood selling cars. There was a customer who came in, we chatted, he made it very clear he didn't want to buy yet, he was just looking. I didn't push the point.
A few weeks later he came back and bought a car from someone else, I got singled out at a sales meeting for not doing my job properly for not continuing to call the customer. My theory was I treated the customer how I'd like to be treated. if I want to buy a car, I will buy a car when I'm ready, not be hassled into it. It was one of the jobs I hated the most of any I've done.
There was one guy who was awesome, he was deaf, he came in on a motorbike. I took him to my office, showed him a pic of my bike,  we had a great connection and he bought a car :D

So wait... the guy did come back and did purchase a car through that dealership (i.e. the one where you were working at the time) so the dealership still made the sale and got the profit - and they still pinged you?!?  WTF were they thinking - you will try harder if they put the spotlight on what you did 'wrong' for everyone to know - yeah that helps you keep staff in the long run...

I wonder how many sales they actually loose to other dealerships (Hyundai or not) by being pushy and/or trying to manipulate the customer (some of it seems fairly overt to me).   But it sounds like they wouldn't take that into account... rather just how many cars were sold and % profit on each and totals.  So they might not even realise they are loosing sales (lost opportunity and the cost of it) by being pushy, etc. - having said that, given how they seem to operate, I am not crying.   I wonder if they even monitor their conversion rates of various situations... e.g. people who walk in and buy vs. people who are just looking today and come back when ready - and, of the latter group...  people who they get contact details (so can harass) vs. those they didn't (so couldn't) - did they ever come back interested to buy or not?  If they did come back interested to buy... did they actually buy?

Nice story about the deaf guy!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I do wonder how ordinary people like us would do at sales when you hear these stories. 
Surely we'd have to do well.
The fact is, he spoke to you and he came back to the dealership and bought a car.
It was more of a loss for you than anyone else.
Treat people right and they will treat you right.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even back in the early nineties the pressure was on to use all the tricks in the book to get the sale. I'm sure it is worse now in every sales job (not just cars)  :undecided:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Even back in the early nineties the pressure was on to use all the tricks in the book to get the sale. I'm sure it is worse now in every sales job (not just cars)  :undecided:

Well the dealership (which I won't mention here - being the complain section mentioning a particular one) I got my i30 through wasn't following the book, or using a different one.   I am sure/know they used some - such as politely (and seemingly earnestly) asking: "What do I need to do, or get for you, to close the deal?"   Handing me control - but, having worked out a drive-away price and put some free 'extras' in, expecting me not to ask for anything big.

Having said that - pretty sure you are right about retail jobs. If I find someone to be too overbearing - I just walk out the door.  Or tell them they are not helping me but rather making me feel uncomfortable about the buying whatever it is.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even when I was in the Bank over 20 years ago there was a lot of pressure to sell products. I won't repeat all the jobs I've done in retail, but each one upped the ante with the pressure to sell... Glad I'm out of it now.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Even when I was in the Bank over 20 years ago there was a lot of pressure to sell products.

But you promised you wouldn't teller.  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even when I was in the Bank over 20 years ago there was a lot of pressure to sell products.

Tell who? I was a loaner...  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Tell who? I was a loaner...  :whistler:

:lol:   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Well, you're the type I would buy from. I hate pushy sellers...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Having spent the majority of my working life in sales type roles, I cringe every time someone tries the hard sell on me. My wife knows, if she is with me, it's time to wander off out of earshot, 'coz she knows what's coming.
You can play their game for a while, leading them down the garden path and letting them think they've set the hook. But at some stage they discover they've hooked something bigger than their tackle will handle. And they definitely DON'T want it in the boat with them.  :whistler:

In the tyre industry, there are plenty of hard sell types but they generally belong to one of two of the big name chains. They are expert at selling you what THEY want to sell you, not what you want nor necessarily what you need.

I was fortunate that I started out in a company which placed major emphasis on training its people and in providing good customer service as well as aiming for long term customer relationships. My bosses also practised proper sales techniques which were definitely NOT hard sell.

Then, after about 10 years in retail, I was transferred across to wholesale where customer relationships are even more important. You are dealing with people who own there own businesses and buy off you in bulk at least once a month and sometimes once a week as well as for daily requirements. So they have to have total faith in the fact that you'll do the right thing by them. This type of B2B relationship suited my style perfectly and I still have good friendships today with people I dealt with more than 10 years ago.

It's always been my experience that you can sell almost anyone anything almost immediately. Whether you will ever sell them anything ever again is a completely different matter.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal