i30 Owners Club

Sunglasses holder for etag?

Offline IdleMach

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi,

Recently picked up a new 2018 i30 SR Premium, and don't want to spoil my shiny new car with the ugly old etag. I think its one of the first generation type ones (replaced the battery at least once). The sunglasses holder just up from the mirrors seems like the perfect spot to hold it  :cool: And the roof above there seems like the same glass as the sunroof. Would that let through the RF for the etag or is there some hidden metal that will block it?  Anyone else tried this already? Would be great to know, Thanks

• i30 SR Premium PD2

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi,

Recently picked up a new 2018 i30 SR Premium, and don't want to spoil my shiny new car with the ugly old etag. I think its one of the first generation type ones (replaced the battery at least once). The sunglasses holder just up from the mirrors seems like the perfect spot to hold it  :cool: And the roof above there seems like the same glass as the sunroof. Would that let through the RF for the etag or is there some hidden metal that will block it?  Anyone else tried this already? Would be great to know, Thanks
Have not tried anything like that, however, How do the Sydney systems work?

Up here the tag is registered to the number plate, if you have an account and a tag if the tag does not register the rego plate ID matches the account and then it's charge normal rate + 50c I think.

when  I drive through a toll the tag beeps,

So, if your system is the same, put it in there and see if it does work. that's what I'd do if I wanted to test it.

:whistler:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,

Up here the tag is registered to the number plate, if you have an account and a tag if the tag does not register the rego plate ID matches the account and then it's charge normal rate + 50c I think.

So, if your system is the same, put it in there and see if it does work. that's what I'd do if I wanted to test it.

Correct you are Beerman .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi,

Beerman? You been skipping your meds again Mick?  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,

@tw2005
Sorry tw, complete brain fade there  :disapp:
@Dazzler ,
If only, No unfortunately not skipping them , just another side effect F-up.
Thanks for spotting that for us Dazz :goodjob:  ( this took about 5 min to type up- goodnight  :rolleyes: )
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline IdleMach

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
okay will try it out.  Looked it up, its +75c per gate for licence plate matching in Sydney
  • i30 SR Premium PD2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi,

@tw2005
Sorry tw, complete brain fade there  :disapp:
@Dazzler ,
If only, No unfortunately not skipping them , just another side effect F-up.
Thanks for spotting that for us Dazz :goodjob:  ( this took about 5 min to type up- goodnight  :rolleyes: )

It's OK Mick I got Karma last night! I went to a 45 years school reunion last night and called a "girl" I went through Primary and High School with by her older sister's name.. Whoops!  :crazy1:

I didn't know whether to blame the Meds, PD or tiredness (Was up at 4am yesterday on the Spirit of Tas and had to drive over an hour to the reunion in Lonny last night)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
with the ugly old etag. I think its one of the first generation type ones (replaced the battery at least once)

Hi Mate, if I were you, i'll make a trip to the Service NSW, and swap the eTag.  The newer version is the size of 2 10c coins side by side long and pretty slim.  So easy to put under the rear mirror out of sight.

I replaced both of my cars not long ago - just walked in, get a ticket and get 2 new one all free.  If you are using one of those private company eTag, then you should switch to Service NSW eTag, there are no annual fee.

I lost the eTag holder on the way home, so had to visit them again the next day to get another replacement - the pretty lady gave it to me on the spot over the counter.  So happy.  - the holder that is :)

• 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
If it's the older style eway tag, maybe just report it as faulty & get it swapped for a new replacement.
Either call into the M5 office @ toll plaza or get new one posted out. They supply a return bag for sending back.
They recently had one of our tags reported as fauly so just posted a new one ot
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
with the ugly old etag. I think its one of the first generation type ones (replaced the battery at least once)

Hi Mate, if I were you, i'll make a trip to the Service NSW, and swap the eTag.  The newer version is the size of 2 10c coins side by side long and pretty slim.  So easy to put under the rear mirror out of sight.

I replaced both of my cars not long ago - just walked in, get a ticket and get 2 new one all free.  If you are using one of those private company eTag, then you should switch to Service NSW eTag, there are no annual fee.

I lost the eTag holder on the way home, so had to visit them again the next day to get another replacement - the pretty lady gave it to me on the spot over the counter.  So happy.  - the holder that is :)

I got a new one not long ago. About that size.
Only problem is although it beeps (my wife can hear it), I can't even with my hearing aids turned up hear anything. I can hear the one on her car and my daughter's no trouble.
An enquiry produced the response that they're all like that now.
Anyone else noticed a difference in the beep volume of the new smaller units?
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, the beeping is not as loud on that small unit,  yet since it is linked to my car and my bank account, Service NSW will notify you if any issue arise with the tag, so now i just not worry about it anymore.

PS:  Got an email from ServiceNSW when one of my tag failed to informed me that it didnt work :) went in and got it replaced, they then refund all the extra charges.

• 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline IdleMach

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
- the Sunglasses holder by the rear view mirror doesn't work btw. At least it didn't work for me through the harbour tunnel.
  • i30 SR Premium PD2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal