Trip Computer Error

AlanHo · 7 · 3180

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Four week old I30 Crdi 1.6 6 speed diesel Premium. I noticed during a holiday in Cornwall last week that when I brimmed the tank with the fuel gauge showing just under half full - it took 30.05 litres - the trip computer then showed that I would run out of fuel in 326 miles. I did brim the tank by the way - it took quite a long time.

The return trip home was 282 miles - and when I got home I took another look at the computer which then showed 277 miles before running out of fuel.

I reckon there is something wrong with the computer reading - but if it is being caused by a faulty fuel level sensor - is the dashboard fuel gauge to be trusted?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Alan,

There is heaps on here about incorrect distance to empty readings.. The distance to empty readout is extremely pessimistic but gets more accurate the closer you get to empty..

It seems to learn over time but still never really accurate.

Ouri30 (Bob) did an exercise early in the life of the club (sometime in '08) where he tracked the readings and proved that it does learn over time (It should still be on the site somewhere)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Lorian  :D

This is the (very old) thread that Bob did.. (Quite interesting)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,38.msg164.html#msg164
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
AlanHo, its a new enhanced feature they added to the i30 back in 2008 where Hyundai fitted an upside down triangular fuel tank(large at the top, small at the bottom) but as time passes the shape of tank changes back to square. Thats why the needle seems to 'sit' in the top half alot longer than the bottom half. Clever Koreans hey??

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL i said the same thing to my boss the other day, when i had to fill up before work and was a little late!!... "the car has a triangle tank, takes for ever to get to half, then drops like a bomb"

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Hi Alan, I have a i30 1.6 Crdi Style estate 6speed, The best computer mls to empty never goes above 489mls yet I get 550-600mls easily and when on a long run (motorway) it may say 329 mls to empty then when I turn the car on after a stop it goes up say 389 or so, I have let the light come on and gone down to 30mls until empty on the trip, I had 639mls when I filled up, I got 51litres in brimming to top.

I think it seams quite accurate. Today I topped up with 3/4 tank full had done 210mls and only put in 15litres!

Whatever the needle on the gauge says I tend go by I know of some who run the car by the mls to empty but have run out ! At the end of the day I don't like running my car low to light on as the crap in the bottom of the tank.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Cheers Sean.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal