i30 Owners Club

Fixing a VeeDub with a Ball-Pein Hammer

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My SIL dropped by yesterday for some help. Her 2012 Jetta had been sideswiped and (luckily only) the driver's side mirror had been smashed by what was probably a passing truck in a narrow street.

I had helped her locate a replacement assembly via a national parts network and she came by when she received it. Doing the swap involved stripping the door trim using T20 and T30 drivers, so my son's tool collection was the right locality for the job.

Trying to fit the replacement assembly was proving troublesome until I noticed that the metalwork had been deformed significantly by the sheering force of the contact and so I grabbed my son's ball-pein hammer and bashed away to rectify the alignment and depth of the main bolt hole holding the assembly in the window frame.

My boss at work is an avid VW owner (Golf and Tuareg) and I can't wait to turn up at work on Monday and tell him how I treated a VeeDub on the weekend.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :evil: :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My SIL dropped by yesterday for some help. Her 2012 Jetta had been sideswiped and (luckily only) the driver's side mirror had been smashed by what was probably a passing truck in a narrow street.

I had helped her locate a replacement assembly via a national parts network and she came by when she received it. Doing the swap involved stripping the door trim using T20 and T30 drivers, so my son's tool collection was the right locality for the job.

Trying to fit the replacement assembly was proving troublesome until I noticed that the metalwork had been deformed significantly by the sheering force of the contact and so I grabbed my son's ball-pein hammer and bashed away to rectify the alignment and depth of the main bolt hole holding the assembly in the window frame.

My boss at work is an avid VW owner (Golf and Tuareg) and I can't wait to turn up at work on Monday and tell him how I treated a VeeDub on the weekend.  :lol:

You have a BOSS, I thought with your recent promotion that you woz de man  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You have a BOSS, I thought with your recent promotion that you woz de man      
He's a Wing Commander who calls me his Apprentice Wing Commander :lol:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
 :ttiuwp:

or is it a bit wuff  :snigger:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I agree, mate, but how rude would it have been to say 'Hey, Sis, not every day I get to bash your pride and joy like this, let me share the moment globally'.  :lol:

Just imagine the mirror assembly removed from the car and me trying very carefully to whack the crap out of the metalwork in the rather small triangular section just ahead of and uncomfortably adjacent to the main driver's window glass! :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I agree, mate, but how rude would it have been to say 'Hey, Sis, not every day I get to bash your pride and joy like this, let me share the moment globally'.  :lol:

Just imagine the mirror assembly removed from the car and me trying very carefully to whack the crap out of the metalwork in the rather small triangular section just ahead of and uncomfortably adjacent to the main driver's window glass! :crazy1:
No worries, if I see a Jetta kicking around in Bendigo with a mirror attached to the end of a ball pein hammer,I won't say a word :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal