i30 Owners Club

Fuel filter light & aircon??

Framu · 4 · 1656

Offline Framu

• 1st Gear
Hi i30 owners,

I am looking for some ideas on what I think are an odd set of symptoms.

I had a leak in aircon system for a while, but hadn't bothered in getting it diagnosed until recently and so I just never used the aircon. Gas with fluorescent dye was used to detect the leak, but it turned out the leak was much slower than I thought so I had cold air for a few weeks. As the aircon became less efficient, I noticed that after driving with AC on for 15 mins I saw the fuel filter light on the dashboard (never came on before). As soon as I turned off the AC the light would disappear. This happened on 3 separate occasions. I think this seems odd that the two systems could be connected?

Also, this may be unrelated but as the aircon has slowly lost it's ability to cool air (due to leak), I have had cool air coming out the vent at the driver's side and warmer air coming through the other vents.

I am due to take this back to the mechanic to look for the leak in the aircon but I was just curious if anyone has any ideas about why running the AC could trigger the fuel filter fault light?

Thanks for reading,

Fran
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Fran.

:welcum:

When AC is selected a pulley clutch is activated which connects the AC compressor to the drivebelt system. As this puts extra load on the engine the ECU increases the fuel injected into the system to compensate for the reduction in power. That's the only link I know of.

As to why the filter warning light illuminates, only God would know.

Or a competent mechanic :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Framu

• 1st Gear
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the reply...I'll need to find one of those so!  ;)
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Our super techie @cruiserfied might have some ideas hopefully!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal