Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is it legal? :eek:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep, it's still got the breather attached and a filter.

The police tried to question my HSV once and when I pointed out that it was filtered you should have seen the look of disappointment on his face :snigger:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So how relevant is this to an FD and how much does it cost? :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I got the kit from here http://k-tuning.com/en/zeo-avante-md-new-accent-veloster-k3-air-intake-pipe-kit-filter.html

Not sure about fitment for FD's, but I'll check a few sites and see what I can find, not sure if it would be possible for the turbo diesels though :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah, saw GDi in the picture and it still didn't click. I don't expect it will be anything similar at all for a Diesel, especially with turbo involved. :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No kits out there I can find for a turbo diesel Gonz :(

The pipes and connections can all be bought individually from Auto Pro and Supercheap so it would be possible to make something up with more direct and better flow than stock if you were keen, I probably would have made one up if I hadn't come across this kit.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
How does this mod affect your warranty
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Unless there is a failure directly caused by the modification warranty should still apply.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As cruiserfied said it doesn't affect warranty, I ask these things before I do them :wink: technically the new filter has better filtration as well with a HKS triple layer filter.

There also is no failure that can be caused by this change unless you happen to damage something in the removal of the old intake assembly "a quite involved process" but once the passenger front wheel is removed - then drop the left hand front inspection panel that secures the wheel well to the bumper it is fairly easy access in behind the wheel well to remove 2 hidden bolts securing part of the OEM filter box to the chassis rail.

I also cant see a reason for the lower secondary box other than Hyundai thought there was some vacant space so lets fill it with unnecessary junk, the lower box must have had over a thousand bugs in it and no service panel for cleaning so eventually it would have been full to the brim with bugs and then starting to restrict air flow even more :rolleyes: 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 17:11:38 by CraigB »

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
What about sucking in the engine bay hot air? Thought cold air induction was better for combustion? Does it go any better? Better fuel economy?  Are you getting fresh air from behind the head light? Looks a lot better than the tangled factory air intake.  :goodjob:
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
These engine bays don't get that hot, with the exhaust being at the rear of the engine the heat is reasonably well directed away from the intake and once you are moving there is so much air pouring in through the front of the vehicle it wouldn't matter...the intake pipe can always be extended down into the lower left area behind the bumper if there were any heat problems.

Definitely goes better, as mentioned it has eliminated the flat spots and gives much better throttle response, not sure about the economy yet as it's only been on for 2 days with short 2km trips back and forth from the train station so I'll check that more on my next tank refill and a good weekend drive.

Theoretically with better air flow the economy should improve "minimally at least"  always had great results with all the other cars I've done the same thing to :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I took the car for it's first decent drive today ( since installing the intake kit ) down to Bunbury and back, about 340km's all up and very little traffic.

The car performed well as usual with the added benefits of slightly more power/ better acceleration and a very minimal improvement in economy when compared to the exact same drive performed some months ago, driving style was mostly easy cruising in 5th or 6th all the way except for stopping to have lunch at a friends house in Bunbury.

Previous trip with standard air box averaged 4.8 L/100,  this trip was 4.6 L/100 so not to much difference on the overall average but I've never been able to get the usage down to 4.6 L/100 on any occasion previously so it is a little better on fuel considering the bit of extra power I'm getting as well.

Please excuse the quality of the photo, the phone didn't like the sun to much.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Nice work.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Something else I've discovered...after washing the car this morning I've noticed I'm not getting that thin layer of exhaust soot over the rear bumper any longer either :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've been doing some tinkering/testing of different filters since installing the induction kit, so far the K&N xtreme filter pictured below has the best notable improvement over the filter supplied with the kit.
The original intake pipe an filter that came with the kit was an improvement in torque and power when compared to the factory intake setup but I felt that the triple layer foam filter was still quite restrictive so I decided to test the K&N xtreme and the difference was immediately noticeable, the torque has really increased now and you can actually feel it pulling much harder.

She feels quite spirited now and can actually put a smile on ya face :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Noyce! :goodjob: :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've been doing some tinkering/testing of different filters since installing the induction kit, so far the K&N xtreme filter pictured below has the best notable improvement over the filter supplied with the kit.
The original intake pipe an filter that came with the kit was an improvement in torque and power when compared to the factory intake setup but I felt that the triple layer foam filter was still quite restrictive so I decided to test the K&N xtreme and the difference was immediately noticeable, the torque has really increased now and you can actually feel it pulling much harder.

She feels quite spirited now and can actually put a smile on ya face :D

Has it given more response at takeoff? Trish is finding the 1.6 a bit lethargic after the FD 2.0 ...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes it's better right across the board Dazz, put my foot down in 3rd yesterday and waited for the usual feel of the car to let me know when to change into 4th...looked down at the speedo and I was already at 120 and still some to go :D

Edited to correct gear change intervals.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:12:43 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes it's better right across the board Dazz, put my foot down in 2nd yesterday and waited for the usual feel of the car to let me know when to change into 3rd...looked down at the speedo and I was already at 120 and still some to go :D

So it wouldn't affect warranty or insurance?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nope, it still connects to the breather hose so emissions are retained.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you decide to get one Dazz I'll give you the model number of the additional K&N filter I purchased if you want it, be warned though the K&N costs nearly as much as the kit itself :Shocked:

You can get the SAAS filters for about $15 but then you need an additional reducer to make it fit the induction pipe and I couldn't find one to fit 63mm so I just bit the bullet and said stuff it...get the K&N, you can of course stick with the HKS filter that comes with the kit as it is still a marked improvement over the stock system but as I mentioned previously the K&N is on another level.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you decide to get one Dazz I'll give you the model number of the additional K&N filter I purchased if you want it, be warned though the K&N costs nearly as much as the kit itself :Shocked:

You can get the SAAS filters for about $15 but then you need an additional reducer to make it fit the induction pipe and I couldn't find one to fit 63mm so I just bit the bullet and said stuff it...get the K&N, you can of course stick with the HKS filter that comes with the kit as it is still a marked improvement over the stock system but as I mentioned previously the K&N is on another level.
Cheers :drinks:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I know someone with a diesel sportage who would like this setup.......

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I haven't seen these setups for diesels, if the main induction pipe is similar to the i30 diesel then you could possibly get an adapter and fit a pod filter to the end so it is situated down behind the headlight where it can draw fresh air from.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I took the car for it's first decent drive today ( since installing the intake kit ) down to Bunbury and back, about 340km's all up and very little traffic.

The car performed well as usual with the added benefits of slightly more power/ better acceleration and a very minimal improvement in economy when compared to the exact same drive performed some months ago, driving style was mostly easy cruising in 5th or 6th all the way except for stopping to have lunch at a friends house in Bunbury.

Previous trip with standard air box averaged 4.8 L/100,  this trip was 4.6 L/100 so not to much difference on the overall average but I've never been able to get the usage down to 4.6 L/100 on any occasion previously so it is a little better on fuel considering the bit of extra power I'm getting as well.
What speeds were these, more or less? I had to laugh today, I had to go out of town to a client. I drove about 110km into a fierce 70kph headwind. The poor i30 struggled to keep 120kph, and when I got there my OBC pegged my consumption at 12L/100km. On the way back with a nice tailwind I managed 6L/100km, so the two trips evened each other out :goodjob2:

The reason I am asking is that with 70% Highway/30% City driving I mainly stay around 7.6 - 7.8L/100km no matter how I drive and I was looking to improve it a bit
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Speed was mostly 100-110kph the whole way there and back except for a couple of lower speed suburban areas, no stop starts which is why I was able to achieve 4.6 for the trip.

My driving is probably a 70%/30% like you but my averages are about 6.2 - 6.5 and more around 7.5 if I just do short stop starts with no HWY driving.

If you're trying to sit on 120kph that's probably why you used so much fuel, your above the optimal working range of the engine and it's labouring harder.

My 1.6 is a little different to yours as well, slightly higher kw's and different gearing I would think so that has to be taken into account also.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Speed was mostly 100-110kph the whole way there and back except for a couple of lower speed suburban areas, no stop starts which is why I was able to achieve 4.6 for the trip.

My driving is probably a 70%/30% like you but my averages are about 6.2 - 6.5 and more around 7.5 if I just do short stop starts with no HWY driving.

If you're trying to sit on 120kph that's probably why you used so much fuel, your above the optimal working range of the engine and it's labouring harder.

My 1.6 is a little different to yours as well, slightly higher kw's and different gearing I would think so that has to be taken into account also.
I agree 1000% with the comment about the gearing - to me, it seems like the Gamma engine has a sweet spot between 3800 and 4200rpm, but this rev band doesn't really help the fuel economy, especially not with the 5spd gearbox like I have. 120 on the speedo is around 3700rpm, so actual 120 as per a GPS would probably be around 3900 - which I think is a bit high, but then again I come from a Honda that sat at 3200rpm @ 120 so I am a bit biased :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal