i30 Owners Club

Lorian's i30 N-Line - I can't believe it's not diesel

Lorian · 7 · 15110

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
So I've had the n-line some weeks now. I've lost track.  for those who don't know I used to have a FD 1.6 CRDi and now I have an n-line 1.4 GDI.

This thread is just random observations, some comparisons, and perhaps something about rubber. These things are probably all in other people's threads.

The 1.4 GDI is a quite a schizophrenic engine. It has some low down torque, just enough to stop me missing the CRDi. Its perfectly possible to change gear early and drive on the torque. Then there is the middle rev-range, really a place not to find yourself if you are wanting to move. But then at 4.5K+ on the rev counter the engine is most definitely feeling like a petrol and ready to push you a long quite quickly.And of course its best NOT to be on instant consumption display on the computer when doing this. Not for a previous CRDi owner.

Quite quickly that is as long as its not in the first minute or two when its cold - as the engine seems to be a little boost-limited until a certain temperature. I've not work out this threshold yet.
The driver seats look nice (these are the cloth N seats) and offer great lateral support (see Tyres) however I've found the foam in bottom of the seat to be like sitting on dead bodies. I'm on the second set of foam in the seat now, and maybe its getting a little better as it beds in. Might pull it all to pieces myself at some point and add some poron or similar. the foam is not a quality item.

Yes tyres. Well the FD handled OK and was on 16 inch rims and now I'm on 18 inch with Michelin Sport 4S tyres. The ride is surprisingly compliant, and there is plenty of road noise (see rubber). But all that fades as I now wish I lived in Milton Keynes as its ability to go around corners and roundabouts can be breathtaking. I have to watch not to catch people out especially when on roundabouts.

The radio is good, with DAB and Android Auto. The fader has a bug. The dealer didn't have time to fix this last time I was in so I've found v100 of the firmware to download and I'll flash it myself at the weekend - this this has the fix.  People report the phone mic is quiet - I suspect it might be next to the sunglasses holder - so perhaps I've muted it when I foamed that to fix a rattle (see rattles)

Rattles. I hate rattles. Those fixed/to fix so far are:
               Sunglasses holder - grey foam slipped out of place above headlining (fixed)
               Screw in passenger handle loose (fixed - do ALL Hyundai's have this problem)
               Screen clicks - (yet to fix) - need to remove wipers and scuttle and put rubber on the tabs where the scuttle joins window.
               Drivers door wind noise (when going fast - yet to fix) see rubber.

Noise. I hate noise too (see tyres).  things I've done to reduce noise (or at least make me feel like I've tried):
               Carpet in boot (definitely helps)
               12mm EDPM rubber between parcel shelf and rear door (there is a big gap - well 12mm)
               Extra foam in right wheel arch (more eDPM as I have lots)

Brakes. The brakes (Slightly oversized discs in the N-Line) are much better than the FD. more bite, more power.

Active Lane guidance. Great until you fail to notice its switched off.

Active "Lorian don't get to close while overtaking Assistant" - seems I get too close to people when overtaking as it moans at me a bit thinking I'm going to run in to the car, but I'm loathed to set it to "late". I think its telling me Im a bad person. I'm sorry.

The car does seem to attract Fiat Arbarth drivers who think I'm driving an N and are disappointed when I don't race them to mcDonalds.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 22:11:16 by Lorian »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Awesome testimonial and good demonstration of restraint ;)

Would you mind if I moved this to our Testimonials section (with parallel copy to the portal page) ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Lorian. I've always enjoyed your posts and this one is no exception.

Think you would love the 1.6 T.

Pretty much the same as what you described for the 1.4 T but no weaknesses to speak of.

On paper and in the real world I found the hill climbing ability and feel, line ball with my 2008 CRDi with the added benefit of more refinement. I certainly enjoyed the smooth free revving nature of the little turbo too.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I like the 1.4T and I like the n-line styling, but I'd for sure switch to a 1.6T if it were to become available here.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Fixed the clicks from windscreen.

Seat more comfortable now too - firmed up the springs with a piece of plastic sheet - and I'd not spotted the lumbar support moves up and down - and it was fully UP

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear. I wonder if the lumbar in my new car does that. I must check it.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal