i30 Owners Club

2012 GD Premium + Sat Nav - upgrading head unit retaining factory reversing cam

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I'm looking to upgrade the head unit in my 2012 GD i30 Premium (it's the model with sat nav) to an Alpine iLX-F309e (Halo9). I've got parts sourced for the facia kit, and AerPro ISO loom adapters, but the one thing I really want to do is keep the factory reversing camera functionality.

Has anyone here successfully adapted the reversing camera hook up to RCA? I've seen enough threads on here where people have done it, but alas, being someone that's never touched a wiring loom in his life, and only experience with a soldering iron is being told "pointy end is hot" when I was 6, I've found myself somewhat confused.

I'm imagining it should be a matter of getting a female plug to mate up, and connect the right pins to an RCA cable.

Appreciate any assist, and I apologise in advance for repeating anything already asked.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
, and only experience with a soldering iron is being told "pointy end is hot" when I was 6,

I love that (great line!)  :rofl:

Sorry can't help with the other ..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
All good Dazzler! I've been looking further at the pin outs of the GD head unit based on another thread, and it appears that at the head unit side, there isn't a seperate connector for the reversing camera. It's quite likely that I would need to convert the camera connector down at the reverse camera end to an RCA connector and bring that down to the head unit (based on photos of OEM replacement units I've seen on eBay), while still maintaining the reverse gear switch that switches the reverse camera on and opens it out.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal