i30 Owners Club

Queensland Police buy 200 Sonatas for General Duties

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:32:15 by The Gonz »
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a bit of a win for Hyundai!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
saw a Mustang posted as a chaser  they drive bull wagons here don't see many cars for general duty have seen hy vans ( good van the auto diesel ) just not roomy in rear cargo area, lot of room for driver and tall people.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Mustang is dead for NSW, it failed the drive test when the auto overheated while they were trying to fix that, it had some fairly average crash test results. Unless they can fix that in the new model, it is cactus as a police vehicle.

Sonatas are everywhere up here, the only real news there is the switch to the turbo engine. They had previously been the 2.4.

Reckon most police agencies will run a very close eye over the Kia Stinger when it arrives, especally for Highway work. They could turn them over with 5-6 years of the Kia warranty left, which won't harm the resale at all.

:link: 2018 Kia Stinger review | CarAdvice
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:20:26 by beerman »
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Mustang is dead for NSW, it failed the drive test when the auto overheated while they were trying to fix that, it had some fairly average crash test results. Unless they can fix that in the new model, it is cactus as a police vehicle.

Sonatas are everywhere up here, the only real news there is the switch to the turbo engine. They had previously been the 2.4.

Reckon most police agencies will run a very close eye over the Kia Stinger when it arrives, especally for Highway work. They could turn them over with 5-6 years of the Kia warranty left, which won't harm the resale at all.

Beerman , all i know is i see a lot of V8 Mustangs on the road in NSW every day i see a few of them no matter where i am. they look outstanding!! i have not seen one on stide of road with hood up.
don't you see any on the road in QLD? i see 13,000 more new cars sold this year in NSW than QLD.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:09:46 by Lakes »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Beerman , all i know is i see a lot of V8 Mustangs on the road in NSW every day i see a few of them no matter where i am. they look outstanding!! i have not seen one on stide of road with hood up.
don't you see any on the road in QLD? i see 13,000 more new cars sold this year in NSW than QLD.
I think Beerman means as a Potential Police vehicle.  They do look great, but I wouldn't have one...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i don't think i would have one myself as i only like useful, or fun transport, mustang a bit big & useless. the cops here still use a lot of Turbo 6 falcons, i thought would be replaced by now with holden. a mate of mine ordered a new RS Focus AWD turbo said had to order then wait about 18months & giving me a drive when he gets it. down Sydney Motor Sport Park

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

well i don't think i would have one myself as i only like useful, or fun transport, mustang a bit big & useless. the cops here still use a lot of Turbo 6 falcons, i thought would be replaced by now with holden. a mate of mine ordered a new RS Focus AWD turbo said had to order then wait about 18months & giving me a drive when he gets it. down Sydney Motor Sport Park

18 months!  :Shocked: :Shocked: Far out! 3 months for my FD CRDi i30 nearly killed me! (even a week or ten days is too long)  :head_butt:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:link: Mustang back off the police radar after two-star ANCAP - Car News | CarsGuide

There are Mustang's everywhere up here. With the Ranger they would be one of the few bright sparks in the Ford fleet.  Won't join the police fleet though.

With a Great Wall equalling 2 star Ancap, I don't think I would have one. One wonders why the media can be so critical of one and allow a defensive narrative to be run on for the other?

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Was surpised by an unmarked H IX35 come screaming past me recently with lights & sirens - better behave myself as I wasn't aware they also had these around here.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They even have a Hilux ute down here in Tassie! Plus a fleet of 3.6 litre Subaru Liberty's (all unmarked)  :sweating:

Mind you, I am a good lad.  :evil:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The new NG Holden (Opel) VXR (re-branded SS) might still be on the cards for the force yet :undecided:
:link: Holden Commodore VXR to take over from SS as performance flagship

The Fleet managers will be happy, play one off against another. I reckon Kia will have very sharp pencils (and assuming Holden adopts the same 5/175k warranty they have given the Astra the much better 7/unlimited warranty), the sales and reputation boost from being a HWP vehicle will be good for both their new model and brand.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I agree. Pretty hard to ignore - rear wheel drive platform plus performance.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

As long as the transmission does not overheat.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Yes, the Mustang failed and I'm surprised Ford didn't agree to overcome those issues.
But there's also that less than satisfactory ANCAP safety rating....
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I had 3 marked Police cars rock up to my doorstep yesterday, 2 Hyundais, and one ute (NFI what brand the ute was)  and admittedly the Hyundais where vans, but at least it's not a pack of boring Falcadores anymore:).
  • IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, the Mustang failed and I'm surprised Ford didn't agree to overcome those issues.
But there's also that less than satisfactory ANCAP safety rating....

I believe they were working on it before the Ancap killed the project.

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I had 3 marked Police cars rock up to my doorstep yesterday
Do you run a crack lab :D

ROFL, if I was I'd probably be posting on a Lambo owners forum:)
  • IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

From a prison cell :lol:

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Not if the coppers where driving Sonata's :)

(Honestly, I don't see the need for fast police cars, it's bloody hard to outrun a team coordinated by radio)
  • IO 30 N

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Not if the coppers where driving Sonata's :)

(Honestly, I don't see the need for fast police cars, it's bloody hard to outrun a team coordinated by radio)

Bet if you were getting stabbed or bashed you might have a dissenting view.

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thats when I'd prefer the ambo's to be driving an f1 wagon :)
  • IO 30 N

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal