i30 Owners Club

Kaspersky Free

CraigB · 22 · 3996

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They've finally released it :happydance: for a free AV they have done a great job, running very nicely here ( Avast wont be impressed :D )

:link: Kaspersky Free antivirus launches globally to secure the whole world ? Kaspersky Lab official blog

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In your expert opinion, should I be replacing my ZoneAlarm AV and firewall combo (on my W7 machines anyway) with this and something else?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
In your expert opinion, should I be replacing my ZoneAlarm AV and firewall combo (on my W7 machines anyway) with this and something else?
I'm not really a Zone Alarm Fan, their scan engine and signatures come from other products which also provide free versions so better to get from the horses mouth "so to speak" :D, Windows Firewall on Win7 and up is fine in my opinion but there are a few companies that do add-ons for the windows firewall if you wish to have easier outbound setup ability to the built in firewall, I've always been happy with the Windows default firewall myself.

A stand alone firewall with behavioural monitoring might be useful which I think Zone Alarm do if you wish to keep something from them.

Kaspersky has cut the System Watcher (Behaviour Blocker) from the free version but you're still connected to the cloud so you get all the protection benefits from the paid users :)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I bank with Barclays and they can provide POC the full version of Kapersky. So I installed it.

It drove me mad with warnings, prevented access to some sites and I forget what else. I'm sure there was a way of taming the beast amongst the gazillion settings available, but life is too short without spending hours tinkering with errant software. So I deleted it and I'm back with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes premium.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@AlanHo  There is normally a learning process with all AV's, I agree with the full version of Kaspersky being quite irritating as I didn't like it either but the free version hasn't bothered me at all so far except for some notification of updates over 24 hours.

Defender and Malwarebytes Premium is a good formidable setup, disappointing slowdowns of some system processes and programs opening though due to Malwarebytes huge resource usage but still worth keeping, Defender on it's own has been scoring 99.7's to 100% in real world test as of late so it's doing quite well on it's own lately and giving some of the major players something to think about...it's one of the reasons companies like Kaspersky are releasing free versions to try and retain a foot hold in the market.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Currently running with paid Kaspersky, got it on a very good deal 2 years 3 devices for $15? These deals regularly pop up.

Yes, it does give alerts when visiting financial sites & offer to open in a safe window. Hasn't done it for a while now, guess it learns when I regularly decline. Probably a good idea when not on your own PC.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Currently running with paid Kaspersky, got it on a very good deal 2 years 3 devices for $15? These deals regularly pop up.

Yes, it does give alerts when visiting financial sites & offer to open in a safe window. Hasn't done it for a while now, guess it learns when I regularly decline. Probably a good idea when not on your own PC.

I like Norton 360 Paid, but even through Ebay they got too dear this year $80-$100 for multi-devices. So I did the same as you went Kaspersky paid. Got 2 x 3 devices for under $40.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Here's a current deal for $19:
Kaspersky Deal

And apparently you can bank the registration codes - if yours is still current, you can add a new reg code & it will add the extra term
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here's a current deal for $19:
Kaspersky Deal

And apparently you can bank the registration codes - if yours is still current, you can add a new reg code & it will add the extra term

Thanks Neville I might do that. I paid around $19 for 1 year for three devices (twice) as I had 6 devices spread over two different periods..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I love Kaspersky. It soon learns your preferences and runs with minimal fuss.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Craig, with Avast at the moment, have had a good run with it. I do like the sound of  Kaspersky but I don't think the free version is for Mac.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:52:48 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Craig, with Avast at the moment, have had a good run with it. I do like the sound of  Kaspersky but I don't think the free version is for Mac.
I've not head mention of it for Mac unfortunately, Avast will still have your back covered though John👍

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I've not head mention of it for Mac unfortunately, Avast will still have your back covered though John👍

Thanks Craig. You never know they might come out with a free version for Mac later seeing they do a Mac paid version.  :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Craig. You never know they might come out with a free version for Mac later seeing they do a Mac paid version.  :)
You never know John, if you cross ya fingers and poke your tongue to one side your wish might come true :D

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :p   :fingers:   :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Have been using KIS for a long time now. There are plenty of deals available on Ebay, Key for 3 PCs for 2 years $14.90 or less.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kaspersky-INTERNET-SECURITY-2017-3-PC-2-Year-for-Windows-Key-ONLY-/262946240397?epid=834312433&hash=item3d38d1378d:g:XGEAAOSw2gxYrmo4

I use the KIS Firewall all the time and have no problems but like most programs and firewalls, one has to tweak them for best results. Safe Money is a secure (VPN I think) means of communicating with financial institutions that I trust and use often. I am sure the free version without Safe Money would be OK but I would not change for the sake of $7.50 per year. The only problem I have is that Safe Money will not work with Firefox Browser.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Safe Money is a secure (VPN I think) means of communicating with financial institutions that I trust and use often. I am sure the free version without Safe Money would be OK but I would not change for the sake of $7.50 per year.
KSN (Kaspersky Secure Network) = VPN is an included module in Kaspersky free which allows 200Mb of free data usage daily, easily enough for banking and shopping :)

Safe Money is a different feature that secures your browsing to stop keyloggers collecting your passwords on banking sites and prevents being directed to fake sites I believe :undecided: but as the free version also contains the virtual keyboard then that also covers you in that area if you use your browsers built in Private Browsing feature :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:36:25 by CraigB »

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
"KSN (Kaspersky Secure Network) = VPN is an included module in Kaspersky free which allows 200Mb of free data usage daily, easily enough for banking and shopping"
Thanks Craig, I read from the link in your initial post that the VPN was a feature not available in Kaspersky Free but was in the paid version. I will download the free version try it, but remain a fan of Safe Money as it so easy to use.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's included but free only has 200mb daily as mentioned with limited countries to choose from.

VPN can also be downloaded as a sole component for anybody to use whether you have Kaspersky AV or not.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
My "Paid Kaspersky" also have a limit of 200mb. So there appears little difference between Paid and Free. Good marketing of a good product by Kaspersky. Thank you Craig for bringing this to our attention.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal