i30 Owners Club

FD Hyundai i30 trip meter

Matia · 18 · 4050

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've read around quite a lot regarding this issue and haven't found a solution yet.

Just recently bought a 2009 FD i30cw 1.6L diesel and she's a pearla, the issue I'm having is that I can't cycle between trip meter, DTE, avg speed, fuel consumption. The only shows the trip meter. I read the user manual and it says to press the trip button for "less than 1 second" to cycle through modes, mine does nothing with a short press. With a long press  it clears the trip as expected.

Do all models come equipped with all of this info? Or just higher end models? Maybe mine is just supposed to only show trip distance. But that seems pretty stupid.

Anyway sorry for rambling and thanks in advance for any and all help 😀

Cheers, Matia
  • 2009 i30cw 1.6L CRDi auto

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My 2009 FD was petrol but it only had the trip meter. Base model.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome and congrats on the new CW. I've often said the diesel CW was the pick of the FD series.

As Trevor says if it's an SW (base model) then it doesn't have the trip computer function. Pretty normal for the book to cover all models although it usually says (only available in some models with an asterix or something)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
only available in some models with an asterix or something
Asterix
ns

Asterisk

:P
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
My 2009 FD was petrol but it only had the trip meter. Base model.

Ah I see, geez that's a little dissapointing. It is what it is, still happy with the car.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! This forum is excellent 🙌😀

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Some way down the track you might think about poaching bits from of a wrecker to do a changeover. Some members even buy another car to snatch the best bits of each. :D

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Welcome and congrats on the new CW. I've often said the diesel CW was the pick of the FD series.

As Trevor says if it's an SW (base model) then it doesn't have the trip computer function. Pretty normal for the book to cover all models although it usually says (only available in some models with an asterix or something)

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to contributing to the community and learning more about this car.

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Some way down the track you might think about poaching bits from of a wrecker to do a changeover. Some members even buy another car to snatch the best bits of each. :D

Does this require changing the entire instrument cluster?

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That would be my guess. I really don't know just how much extra looming and sensing is required beyond that. @tw2005 might know, or @cruiserfied

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
That would be my guess. I really don't know just how much extra looming and sensing is required beyond that. @tw2005 might know, or @cruiserfied

Well in that case I might just leave it alone and enjoy it as is.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well in that case I might just leave it alone and enjoy it as is.

Trip computers are a handy fairly recent inclusion but you can't really beat brim to brim manual calculations.  :victory:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't forget you can have fun with ridiculously cheap eBay gear like wireless OBD to your phone app to catch all sorts of metrics. :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't forget you can have fun with ridiculously cheap eBay gear like wireless OBD to your phone app to catch all sorts of metrics. :victory:

Good point 99 (I mean Fernando...)  :goodjob:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I wouldn't know off the top of my head. It might be supported as a change of cluster, but no idea.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've read around quite a lot regarding this issue and haven't found a solution yet.

Just recently bought a 2009 FD i30cw 1.6L diesel and she's a pearla, the issue I'm having is that I can't cycle between trip meter, DTE, avg speed, fuel consumption. The only shows the trip meter. I read the user manual and it says to press the trip button for "less than 1 second" to cycle through modes, mine does nothing with a short press. With a long press  it clears the trip as expected.

Do all models come equipped with all of this info? Or just higher end models? Maybe mine is just supposed to only show trip distance. But that seems pretty stupid.

Cheers, Matia
You could try track down a SLX CRDi Auto cluster, swap it out. I recently was experimenting with a 2011 SX unit, managed to convert that one , also decoded the data in order to Odometer correct.

There's multiple cluster versions, most of the wreckers are'nt real switched on. I've seen a database they use show only 4 types which is crap. Had an interesting discussion with one who felt his information was , well , let's just say the bible.

The latter SLX clusters are wired slightly different too as I found with some of the warning lamps and symbols used

94001-2L227 is a SLX CRDi Auto cluster from 2009 / 10 i30CW. Fitted to 10 Dec 2008 - 13 Dec 2010 models built (SLX)
94011-2L225 is a SLX CRDi Auto cluster from 13 Dec 2010 to the end of the series in 2012

My  30 Sep 2008 built SLX CRDi Auto Hatch had, 94001-2L226

My  18 Apr 2008, SX manual hatch was 94001-2L215

I can't 100% confirm the cluster swap will work in the 09/10 models, definitely will in the SX 2011

Very early clusters are different again
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 00:37:40 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Hi all,

Cheers, Matia
You could try track down a SLX CRDi Auto cluster, swap it out. I recently was experimenting with a 2011 SX unit, managed to convert that one , also decoded the data in order to Odometer correct.

There's multiple cluster versions, most of the wreckers are'nt real switched on. I've seen a database they use show only 4 types which is crap. Had an interesting discussion with one who felt his information was , well , let's just say the bible.

The latter SLX clusters are wired slightly different too as I found with some of the warning lamps and symbols used

94001-2L227 is a SLX CRDi Auto cluster from 2009 / 10 i30CW. Fitted to 10 Dec 2008 - 13 Dec 2010 models built (SLX)
94011-2L225 is a SLX CRDi Auto cluster from 13 Dec 2010 to the end of the series in 2012

My  30 Sep 2008 built SLX CRDi Auto Hatch had, 94001-2L226

My  18 Apr 2008, SX manual hatch was 94001-2L215

I can't 100% confirm the cluster swap will work in the 09/10 models, definitely will in the SX 2011

Very early clusters are different again

Well that's all the info I'll need for a swap if ever I decide to do one!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge mate.

Offline Matia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC

Ya know I think this might be the easiest and cheapest option. Do you have any experience in using these? Are there specific apps for specific OBD readers?

Cheers

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not really. I bought one like this with software included on disk.
:link: New Obd V2.1 Mini Elm327 Obd2 Bluetooth Auto Scanner Obdii 2 Car Elm 327 Te L8L1 | eBay
The software was good enough I didn't need the large range of free compatible apps from the app store. :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal