i30 Owners Club

i30 SR - sway bar upgrade

RobB · 5 · 2043

Offline RobB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Greetings eveyone,
I hope you are all well. I have just bought a 2017 i30 SR premium and I must say what a lovely car it is. I am new to the site, and grateful for such a wealth of knowledge here.
I would like to make a couple of basic mods to the car, and was thinking of a sway bar upgrade and perhaps an exhaust upgrade also.
I notice I can purchase 1 x sway bar or 2 x sway bar upgrade kits for front and rear. What are the differences and the benefits to 2 x sway bar upgrade compared to the 1, and do I need 2 sway bars to stiffen up the steering and lesson the under steer or is 1 sufficient? This is one I was looking at: :link: Whiteline F And R Sway Bar Vehicle Kit - Hyundai i30 PD/i30 N PD/Kia Cerato GT BD BHK018
Also exhaust upgrade perhaps.. what are the benefits? noise is Not important, but a little extra performance would be good. Perhaps this one: https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/XForce-ESHY31VKCS-Cat-Back-System-with-Varex-Non-Polished-Stainless-Steel-i30-SR-1.6T/N-Line-17?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInfSRtYfo-QIVhiQrCh0elQAxEAYYASABEgKB-PD_BwE. Many thanks everyone, and please excuse my lack of knowledge around most things mechanical.
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Happy days, Rob. Enjoy the site. I hope someone comes along and points you to some good info soon. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Greetings eveyone,
I hope you are all well. I have just bought a 2017 i30 SR premium and I must say what a lovely car it is. I am new to the site, and grateful for such a wealth of knowledge here.
I would like to make a couple of basic mods to the car, and was thinking of a sway bar upgrade and perhaps an exhaust upgrade also.
I notice I can purchase 1 x sway bar or 2 x sway bar upgrade kits for front and rear. What are the differences and the benefits to 2 x sway bar upgrade compared to the 1, and do I need 2 sway bars to stiffen up the steering and lesson the under steer or is 1 sufficient? This is one I was looking at: :link: Whiteline F And R Sway Bar Vehicle Kit - Hyundai i30 PD/i30 N PD/Kia Cerato GT BD BHK018

Hi Rob, sorry, I'm so late replying to your post.  Have you gone ahead and bought swaybar/s?  If so, what are your thoughts?

When I read you wanted to reduce your understeer I assumed you must be doing what is euphemistically called 'spirited driving' on the street?  Car manufacturers favour default understeer settings for the road, being supposedly safer than default oversteer.

I had a 2006 WRX/STi.  First time I threw it hard around a very large roundabout (3am, no traffic) it understeered like a pig!  So disappointing!  From memory, I upped the front bar from 17 or 19mm to Whiteline adjustable 22mm and it made a big difference...but I was taking the first planned steps towards club level motorsport, while still being a road-registered sleeper for the HWP!  :wink:

When I first got my 2018 i30 SR I seriously toyed with the idea of modifications e.g. swaybars, coilovers, 17" wheels, better tyres, improved exhaust and a sneaky ECU upgrade and then do some track days or supersprints to keep my skills up.  But 4 years on, nothing!  Too old and too lazy to pick up tools. 

For street use only, I personally would not be changing swaybars or doing other mods unless I intended doing some track days etc...it can be too much of a temptation to test the changes on the street.  Mind you, I am a 78-year-old grump and I suspect if I was a much younger man I might think differently and make my SR a street monster and swap lies with the Maccas car park crowd. :D

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline gazzap

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thought, i'd try to revive this post as i'm thinking about the same thing. I feel my SR has a bit too much body roll and want to reduce that. Don't know if i30 2017 (PD) SR premium have sway bars already or need upgraded ones.

How did you go RobB?
  • 2017 i30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal