i30 Owners Club

FLOATY SUSPENSION

i30RSA · 32 · 10496

Pip
@DB08 - Well im quoting this guys post:

20mm rear sway bar fitted to an FD
March 15, 2013, 08:13:09 ยป

'I can notice no change when driving over speed humps with a single rear wheel. This should cause the side of the car that has the wheel on the flat to "squat" a little (more than before) and potentially cause a greater rocking motion. The same thing (but opposite direction rocking) should happen when a back wheel falls into a pothole. As both these things can only occur when the car is already being unsettled both front and back, it's likely that any small change here is effectively masked anyway. So no discernible difference for general driving. I also travelled the road between Mortlake and Warnambool, a truck route, which has lots of broken surface, ripples and sunken dips. It was unpleasant to drive on but it was always so - again, no difference'

My i30 does what he said in the first paragraph
I recognise this as my entry.

The point I was making here was that I felt no significant negative impact from thickening the rear roll-bar for the cars sold in Oz.

As has been noted, not only are there tuning changes country-by-country, there are design changes also. Each and all of these modifications will affect the handling. It's entirely possible that what has been provided in RSA is crap based on your expectation (and actual crap by any measure).

IMHO a multi-link is a far better design than any other as it attempts to keep the (rear) wheels flat to the ground for the longest time. If you don't have it then again IMO you have an inferior design but (and I'm sure I don't need to offer a IMO for this) a well implemented inferior design can be better than a poorly implemented good design.

Which ever you have, fiddle with it if you like (as I did) to see if you can improve it (in a way you prefer - we don't all want the same handling)... That's part of the fun.

And I stand by what I said before (regarding my stiffened rear sway-bar) and offer this as well:
It has much more chuckability even in the 'burbs because you can induce it to turn a corner almost by itself (no not really) simply by adding some weight to the outside rear wheel by giving it a good "twitch" and correcting it at the other side. No, I'm not talking about rediculous oversteer because there is no "catching" required, just "readjusting" the initial excess but it does get around much easier than dragging it around as before. I really do think the rear tyres might get some more serious wear than they were getting before and the fronts must surely be cooler. I know this is the wrong thread but... anyone who likes to drive...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for posting anyhow, pip...I must admit I had been wondering how it was all going....  :undecided:  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal