i30 Owners Club

Recommended Lowering Springs

ryane · 19 · 9378

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Hey all I not sure if this is the right place, but i wanted to right about some new coil and springs that i recently had fitted to my FD CRDI.

After 18 months, and nearly hitting the 100k mark worth of driving, i finally got around to making some mods to the suspension set up in my I30. I had been thinking about upgrading to some lower springs  and new shocks as i had always found the stock set up to be far to floaty and was not a fan of the body role and under steer.

I know this opinion is not shared by all but i went ahead with it any way just out of personal preference.
I ended up going with a 30mm King Coil spring package with 4 brand new Monroe Original shocks. I was going to get the GT's but couldnt justify the price as i have had the originals before and was satisfied.

After some shopping around, the cheapest i could find these supplied and fitted was close to 1100-1200 Dollars with wheel alignment.

After looking around online, i found this guy on ebay in australia, supplies coils for $235, emailed him about the shocks and he through them in for 350.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150715626156?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got my local mechanic to install with wheel allignment for $230 ( prop cheap cause ive been going there for years)

After a 1000km round work trip this week,  I have to say i am EXTREMELY happy with the new set up.

The body role ( main thing i wanted gone) has been significantly reduced, it corners a hell of allot better with some corners near home that used to cause a bit of tyre screatch at higher speeds has not completely gone. And best of all, i have found the steering responsiveness to be allot great.

For the price i paid i am over the moon with the results. Such a simple modification from my POV has had some great results.

Once i get this whole photo bucket thing down and figure out how it works ill upload the pictures.

Cheer

Ryan

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:41:59 by ryane »

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Nice work,but I noticed by your wheel trims,someones a bit of a gutter cruncher  :snigger:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Ha ha yeah i considered photo shopping that, problems when you let your Mrs Drive.

I was a bit uncertain on how stiff the ride would be with the 17's on, so i had them taken off and got the stocks put on for a while.

first time getting lowered coils :)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
have to get some pic's with the 17's back on
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Assuming I dont get called into tomorrow and i get all the other jobs done, lawns, edges, finish oiling the deck before it pours down rain again I will try and wack them back on and upload more. Now that i know how to use photobucket

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
 :goodjob2: cool  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
she'll steer like she's on rails with the 17s back on.  :cool: :Drive:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
A bit off topic but i was just wondering if any would know if 18's would fit onto FD even with it lowered by 30mm??

Thinking about getting a set for my car and putting the 17's onto the Mrs GD...

Also would i be right in saying the max width of the wheels hasto be 7inch.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
One of our members (Ugly Mongrel) runs 18 x 7.5's on his FD CW.....but of course it's not lowered.

But, he might have a reasonable idea of whether there would be clearance if it was lowered though.... :undecided:

Might be worth PMing him in case he doesn't see this thread....

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Just be aware when your choosing wheels and tyres,it is against the law to change your rolling wheel radius by more than 3 %,that is why I didn't choose 18's for Cyril,as being a SX they only ever came out standard with 15" wheels,if I changed to 18's as the tyre centre said I could I would have had to used 215x30 or 223x25 18's for me these would have been unacceptable,may as well just put solid tyres on it,they are like riding on rocks,thats why I chose 17's to stay within the law and insurance ranges,plus keep a reasonable tyre side wall size to keep a reasonable ride comfort.

Also be aware you must contact your insurance company of any changes you make to the suspension,wheels etc,other wise you run the risk of having a small accident or a large one and then being told because of your un-notifidied changes your not covered,believe me I have had it happen some years ago when I put a stroker kit in my V6 and didn't notify the insurance company,a lot of PPL get caught just by simply re chipping their cars.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Just be aware when your choosing wheels and tyres,it is against the law to change your rolling wheel radius by more than 3 %,that is why I didn't choose 18's for Cyril,as being a SX they only ever came out standard with 15" wheels,if I changed to 18's as the tyre centre said I could I would have had to used 215x30 or 223x25 18's for me these would have been unacceptable,may as well just put solid tyres on it,they are like riding on rocks,thats why I chose 17's to stay within the law and insurance ranges,plus keep a reasonable tyre side wall size to keep a reasonable ride comfort.

Also be aware you must contact your insurance company of any changes you make to the suspension,wheels etc,other wise you run the risk of having a small accident or a large one and then being told because of your un-notifidied changes your not covered,believe me I have had it happen some years ago when I put a stroker kit in my V6 and didn't notify the insurance company,a lot of PPL get caught just by simply re chipping their cars.

Thanks for the advice rick,

Now that you have mentioned that about the 18's i might reconsider. Last thing i wanna do is have a set of ultra-low profile tyres. Had that in past on my commodore and i know exactly what your talking about.

Re the suspension change, ringing NRMA was the first thing i did whilst i was waiting for the kit to be fitted and made sure they emailed me a copy of the updated policy. A good friend of mine a while back changed the Rotars on his Suburu liberty. Fitted bigger diameter slotted and crossed drilled rotars and also 3 point callipers. Then had an accident few month later and insurance company wouldnt cover him cause of the breaks!!!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Now that you have mentioned that about the 18's i might reconsider. Last thing i wanna do is have a set of ultra-low profile tyres. Had that in past on my commodore and i know exactly what your talking about.

Fitted bigger diameter slotted and crossed drilled rotars and also 3 point callipers. Then had an accident few month later and insurance company wouldnt cover him cause of the breaks!!!

Yes ran blades on my commodre for a while,won't go down that track again,not good for a bad back I can tell you,as for your mates bigger brake issue,to me that would surprise me I thought they would have seen that change as a change for the better,but insurance companies don't seem to have that sort of insight,everthing is so black and white with them

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I agree.
Better brakes are better brakes.
Unfortunately insurance companies will look for any reason to weasel their way out of paying a claim.
They just have good PR people who like to make us think they are there for us. Like the banks.
Neither of which are, of course.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
This is exactly what myself and my friends thought!!!!! ridiculous right.

He attempted to argue  this but they basically said because there is a clause in the contract that states any modifacation made to certain parts of the vehichle ( breaks in this case) must be notified to and approved by the insurance company and he failed to do so he has no grounds to stand on!!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, legally and technically the insurance company was most likely correct.
Morally, however, is another issue.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
Hyundai (and Kia by the way) let you legalize 18" wheel size.
And tire size is 225/40R18, and the wheel radius has around 1% difference between all legalizable sizes..

You've got you math wrong, check it here:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
A bit off topic but i was just wondering if any would know if 18's would fit onto FD even with it lowered by 30mm??

18 x 8 fits, pokes out the front fenders a fair way with falcon offset (+35 i think) look at my display pic

what shokies did you end up going with, i pray to god not monroe...  seriously i would be looking at koni reds as a minimum for an upgrade...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal