i30 Owners Club

Suitable glue for under the bonnet

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hi. As described in another thread, I recently had a problem where my car rolled into a wall. This has dented the bonnet slightly, such that the bonnet is no longer recognised as being shut (hence the indicators don't flash and alarm doesn't set when locking). Rather than going through the time and expense of panel beating the bonnet back into shape, I was thinking of just gluing a small item to the bonnet button to fill the gap left when the bonnet shuts.

I am well aware that the engine compartment can get very hot though, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a suitable type or brand of glue that won't just disintegrate in the heat.

Whilst we are on the subject as well, I was wondering if anyone had any ingenious ideas on either an item to glue on, or another solution to this problem.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
seeing as your vehicle is a 2009,if you were over our way I say just go to  Wreckers(think you call em breakers yards)and get another bonnet,literally hundreds of I30's over here getting scrapped no a days,panel beaters over here won't use second hand parts now a days so most body panels are cheap(here anyhow),pictures of the damage would help,so the lateral thinkers could come up with idea's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Loctite make a range  of glues which are similar to but seem more permanent and reliable than super glue. We have both 401 and 406 in our fridge for slightly different materials and they both work well.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I would think that just a dab of silicon would be sufficient to secure a small piece of rubber to the button, silicon will remove easier when you get around to replacing/fixing the bonnet.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You can buy heat resistant silicone which I think would work better than glue. Use an adjustable filler with either a thread or a piece of rubber / plastic that can be trimmed.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Cheers for the replies.

I had thought about replacing the whole bonnet, but I don't see many car's in my shade of red (Ember I think) so it might be a bit of a search. The silicone sounds like a good idea though.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Cheers for the replies.

I had thought about replacing the whole bonnet, but I don't see many car's in my shade of red (Ember I think) so it might be a bit of a search. The silicone sounds like a good idea though.

Just ring around and they will be able to tell you if they have one in stock.

There are 2 big dismantlers in Birkenhead who have parts on the shelf so no need to remove yourself
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal