i30 Owners Club

15 Hour Interstate trip Elantra GT 2019 Base

Frfunk · 2 · 10492

Offline Frfunk

• 1st Gear

• us United States
Decided to give my newer 2019 Elantra GT 8k miles an Italian tune up on a solo drive. 15 hours on Interstate 77 to Interstate 95 to subtropical weather. 

Comfort wise the driver seat was amazing. No back pain or orthopedic issues. Highway visibility was good despite car being full of stuff. The cargo capacity was fantastic for a "small" car.. I actually had room to sleep in back if necessary. Stock sound system is acceptable. Only a few Android Auto hiccups.

Driving wise, as a city car the transmission is a little clunky. The deceleration on down shift is my issue. This becomes a positive on highway when switching gears from 6 to 5 causes a brief slowing before gas punched and is safety element whereby braking is not necessary as the downshift slows car.  IDK It seems Elantra GT was designed for highway, long modern block travel not stop and go traffic inner city.

Early on roads were wet and car handled well. I saw traction control turn on once.

Top speed was 100(160kmh) mph and this was reached quite easily. I recall a reviewer stating the engine was sluggish(what aren't you smoking?). i found downshifting quite useful and necessary as 6 feels like an overdrive. I passed numerous Mustang 5.0 , Camaro's, Audis, BMW they never followed.. Even at 90mph the car was not shaking and felt super solid, maneuverable. The miles per gallon figure was 32.6mpg. Probably averaged 77 mph. I do not recommend anybody speed on interstate it could cause death...

Overall the car gets high marks.. The N version must be scary fast.  And i begin to question the usefulness of excessive HP when only utilized on a track.  BTW  i saw 1 tesla entire trip sputtering at 65mph.
  • Elantra GT Base

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great to hear. I did 66,000 kilometres in around 30 months in my 2017 PD i30 SR. They are such a great all around car. Quick, sporty, economical,  roomy, fun to drive and more reliable than most other cars on the road too.  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal