i30 Owners Club

Upgrading PD stereo with rear boot subwoofer

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
G'Day everybody.
Merry christmas. Well progress so far over Xmas has been slow just getting the power feed from battery to the boot. I used a previous post.
1.attach red power cable and fuse to battery terminal and route into LHF wheel arch. jack LH front wheel & remove it.
2. Remove inner plastic wheel arch is held in place with clips & 3 screws for mudflaps. A trim tool really helps.
3. Remove insulation between door and front wing
4. Push power cable through a grommet into LH footwell.
5. Unclip panel beneath glove box, remove LH trim to unveil a lot of wiring looms. This is tricky but hunt your power cable.
6. Pull up lower rubber door seal and lift up lower door trim.
7. Thread power cable next to existing loom.
8. Door pillar / seatbelt was tricky too so didn't remove it, just lifted away and fed cable underneath.
9. Removed rear seat cushion held in from boot with 2 bolts through seat loops. Lift up seat cushion from front & remove.
10. Unbolt LHR door trim from underneath seat cushion. Lift up door seal and door trim.
11. feed cable along wiring loom into boot under seat .
12. Use one of the bolts for earth. Remove paint and add ring clip and earth cable and feed into boot.

That is as far as I got for power, this took about 3 hours partly as voyage of discovery & wasn't 100% sure if it would work.  :whistler:

As PD SR doesn't appear to have an output in LH rear panel as US Elantra GT. So need help
Sub amp can use both RCA or high speaker inputs where would the best place to get my feeds from. I don't know the wiring colours for rear door speakers to cut into lower door wiring loom, so will probably need to pull door trims off & cut into both rear speakers and then feed back to amp in boot.  :crazy1: also ran remote switch on along side power cable from battery and was going to take an auxiliary turn on. I could always use rear seat belt switch to shorten wiring

Any ideas on best way with existing head unit :phone1:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 15:55:27 by Crustycottage »
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Following this with interest.

I like the sound of the standard  PD especially DAB , but it could use a small sub. I used one in the  FD, just an under seat jobbie, but it improved the sound a lot. I want to do the same for the PD, interested where/if there is a feed somewhere for it.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Sadly There is no room under front seats for under seat sub due to plastic duct in SR, probably same in Elite. I will be using a $88 eBay under seat sub amplifier in boot to start with

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Sadly There is no room under front seats for under seat sub due to plastic duct in SR, probably same in Elite. I will be using a $88 eBay under seat sub amplifier in boot to start with

Good point, forgot that is fitted in the PD. I found the under-seat sub to be just enough under the passenger seat, not sure how effective may be that far back. Probably excellent for the back seat passengers 
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Fitted underneath amp subwoofer into boot. I took a speaker feed from rear door pillar loom which was a bit tricky as needed to remove door trim panel ( easy bit) to trace the wiring from the speaker plug. LHR door speaker was yellow positive & black negative , RHR was brown (+) & white (-) however, I had to do continuity tests with probe tester through wire insulation in door pilar loom to the speaker plug. Thanks Hyundai for putting 3 yellows in same loom  :crazy1:

Used old home hifi 42 strand speaker cable for high level input into amp. Couldn't be bothered to pull the dash apart to try and find an audio remote turn on so used a small blue wire in front LH footwell connector and loom. It is live only with car running so good enough for now until somebody provides me an alternative .  :crazy2:

Sounds good and fills in bass in the boot area nicely.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:42:31 by Crustycottage »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your doing a good job Scott. Thanks for the updates.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Out of interest how did you remove the lower door trim once you removed the rubber seal? Mine doesn't want to budge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Used a trim tool from Sipercheap to prise it up. Be brave

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Great. Went and picked some up today. Just took a bit of faith and it popped out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal