i30 Owners Club

Economy using the 1.6L Diesel Auto in the city

danman · 4 · 1931

Offline danman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hello, I am considering a new 2018 i30 to use for ~80% city driving (Sydney region) including some rideshare. The diesel seems like the smart option of the two engines as tested L/100km is much lower. Will I still achieve better economy if I'm not regularly using motorways?

I considered the additional cost for possible forced regens (apparently about $150 AUD) which dealerships have repeatedly told me "they do not have issues with i30 DPF". Any insight into how often my style driving will cause DPF problems in real life?

This is the best place I thought I would find an honest answer.
Thanks all in advance.
  • 2018 ACTIVE 2.0L Petrol Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Dan,

If the other 20% includes good half hour plus long blasts on the freeway at 100 kph every week or two I think you will be fine. Don't forget to factor in the additional cost of the dirsel engine option in the first place and the slightly higher cost of diesel fuel from time to time.

With the purchase price you should recoup maybe half the extra on resale.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline danman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Dazzler,
half hour plus long blasts on the freeway at 100 kph every week or two
Are these official reccomendations? I guess this won't be too hard to do an intentional DPF regen trip per fortnight.

Assuming I won't be able to meet those driving requirements, only guaranteed short highway trips, what real life economy am I looking at and will I encounter DPF issues?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 15:41:00 by danman »
  • 2018 ACTIVE 2.0L Petrol Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Dazzler,
half hour plus long blasts on the freeway at 100 kph every week or two
Are these official reccomendations? I guess this won't be too hard to do an intentional DPF regen trip per fortnight.

Assuming I won't be able to meet those driving requirements, only guaranteed short highway trips, what real life economy am I looking at and will I encounter DPF issues?

The PD is the first version of the i30 to "score" a DPF in Australia but from what our OS members have reported over the last 11 years I believe you would have issues unless you did some regular highway miles. I love the little Hyundai diesel. Our 1st (of 4) i30's was a non DPF manual 2008 CRDi. The torque is addictive but of less benefit around town.

I'm assuming you are talking an Auto. The Diesel auto only comes with the DCT which again is not particularly well suited to stop start city traffic.

I'm guessing around town the auto DCT CRDi economy would start to creep up towards the 7 or 8 mark so maybe only 1 or 2 L/100 kms less than the 6 speed auto 2.0 petrol.

If your heart is set on picking up a PD i30 for the sort of work you intend doing then I would steer you towards the petrol.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal