i30 Owners Club

2015 i30 CRDI hatch DCT replacement issue?

Rumble · 3 · 8962

Offline Rumble

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Hi all, I have a 2015 i30 crdi hatch, purchased new, that has since developed a rattle noise over the past couple of years when at idle. My last couple of Hyundai services advised it was not a problem and standard diesel engine noise (nothing in writing unfortunately).  As the car is now out of warranty I had it serviced by a local mechanic who advised there was  a definite issue with noise emanating from the transmission "bell housing" area. He suggested I take it to a tranmission group.  They advised the noise was transmission related, possibly "flywheel, dual mass", but needed to drop the gearbox for better examination (at cost). They referred me back to Hyundai as a warranty issue.  Hyundai required I pay for a "diagnostics" service to apply for warranty. After the service, they reported the issue as "replacement of flywheel, DCT and snap rings". They then declined the warranty claim. I have since approached a number of transmission repair groups, though many have not replied, or declined the repair, those who can undertake the repair have quoted prices between $6500 and $7000.  There has also been confusion as the details as per the rego search is different from the DCT recommended by Hyundai.  One of the transmission mechanics however did comment that Hyundai did a few DCT's and it is most probably DCT (which also need a special tool). 

My query is 1. why so much and 2. can it be done by any knowledgable mechanic.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. - Rumble :crazy2:
  • 2015 i30 CRDI

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
A bit late replying, but I had similar problem with my 2015 CRDi DCT.

2016 model with over 300,000kms, went fine until it suddenly lost all odd numbered gears.

My local mechanic said he didn't have the gear to property diagnose and fix it, so I took it to a Hyundai dealer. Mechanic said that as the DCT is computer controlled you need the Hyundai factory programming software to set it up properly after replacing parts.

Ended up costing a bit over $5,000 (trade price). Parts essentially as you listed. Our family has a business relationship with the dealer, and we know the service manager quite well. He said retail would have been around $6,500.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline Rumble

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Thanks for that.  Yeah my local mechanic told me that if I can put up with the noise then it will be fine.  Hasn't affected the running of the vehicle so I haven't worried about it.  I'll wait until it takes a dump then I'll bin it.  I have put about 140K on it since new - 2015.  Cheers. :victory:
  • 2015 i30 CRDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal