i30 Owners Club

i30 unlocking while driving

Offline AnthonyMcLean

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Minyama
Hi team,

My daughter's 2011 2.0L FD i30 Hatch has a central locking problem, not like others I have read on the forum of not unlocking, quite the opposite, while parked and locked, the boot will unlatch itself setting off the alarm and similarly, when driving, the doors lock at 15km/hr as normal and then randomly the door actuators unlock the car (doors stay closed just unlock) and the boot unlatches and flashes as per the attached image. This occurs at varying speeds and even when idling at the traffic lights.

What we have tried:
* Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 30mins (multiple times)
* Replaced the car battery and installed new
* Replaced both keys (one genuine one aftermarket and recoded twice)
* Installed a new boot actuator
* Replaced alternator 15AMP fuse as it was not charging the battery
* Replaced the master switch assembly as the rear window wouldn't go up from the driver's door panel

In good conscience, I cannot sell this car with this fault and have spent a lot of $ with the dealer trying to diagnose the problem, which they cannot. 

Has anyone had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction.  At the moment the Dealership has no idea and my wallet keeps paying them to tell me it is fixed when it is not.

I am really stumped.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

• 2011 i30 FD 5 door Hatch 2.0L Petrol Auto Grey

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A few more diagnostic points to cover:
- does it happen in the same general area each time?
- does it happen at the same approximate speed each time?
- does it ever happen when stationary?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AnthonyMcLean

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Minyama
A few more diagnostic points to cover:
- does it happen in the same general area each time?
- does it happen at the same approximate speed each time?
- does it ever happen when stationary?
[/quote]

Hey The Gonz,

- does it happen in the same general area each time? No.  Sometimes it will happen in our street and other times after driving for over 30mins
- does it happen at the same approximate speed each time? No.  It happens at varying speeds but obviously greater than 15km as it needs to auto lock first
- does it ever happen when stationary? Yes.  When sitting at lights. 

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, So to clarify a couple of points. this is the model where a single press of the remote will unlock but not unlatch the tailgate. And there is no button inside the car to unlatch the tailgate. This bit I'm guessing,   inside the tailgate there is the rubberised momentry switch in the tailgate lift area, with wires to the latch, experts can correct me here, ( the wires could loop back to the BCM to get the signal to unlatch). So do the experts know if the cars BCM can unlatch the tailgate, as in a crash scenario, like the door unlocking.  I would be checking the wiring beween anything that can send the unlock pulse/signal and the latch. Looking for an intermittant  short, and if the BCM can unlatch the tailgate, I'd would be looking at all the input wiring to it, suspecting a bad sensor input.
As for the battery, was it an original, if so excellent lifespan, or a replacement that was  jump started, and was the charging fuse replaced before or after the new battery?

Offline AnthonyMcLean

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Minyama
Hi, So to clarify a couple of points. this is the model where a single press of the remote will unlock but not unlatch the tailgate. And there is no button inside the car to unlatch the tailgate. This bit I'm guessing,   inside the tailgate there is the rubberised momentry switch in the tailgate lift area, with wires to the latch, experts can correct me here, ( the wires could loop back to the BCM to get the signal to unlatch). So do the experts know if the cars BCM can unlatch the tailgate, as in a crash scenario, like the door unlocking.  I would be checking the wiring beween anything that can send the unlock pulse/signal and the latch. Looking for an intermittant  short, and if the BCM can unlatch the tailgate, I'd would be looking at all the input wiring to it, suspecting a bad sensor input.
As for the battery, was it an original, if so excellent lifespan, or a replacement that was  jump started, and was the charging fuse replaced before or after the new battery?

Hi Aye30,

Model/key - correct.  A single push of the unlock on the key will unlock but not unlatch the boot.
Battery - I think it had been replaced before we bought it. Due to the jump start and battery running down, we replaced it prior to the alternator fuse being replaced.  The battery was running down and under strain to kick over the car, hence the change of the fuse.

I agree 100% with your comments about the wiring - so interested to see if the experts have a thought on this or anyone has experienced the same. 

I also have no idea about the labour required to chase this.  Again interested in anyone's thoughts if they have had to do it previously.

Cheers

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Remote armchair diagnostics are notoriously inadequate, so take this advice with a grain of salt.
I'm leaning towards a vibration-related fault in the release wiring. Labour would not be a cost but it would be somewhat ... er ... laborious!
Check wiring for loose connections or damaged insulation.

Offline AnthonyMcLean

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Minyama
Remote armchair diagnostics are notoriously inadequate, so take this advice with a grain of salt.
I'm leaning towards a vibration-related fault in the the release wiring. Labour would not be a cost but it would be somewhat ... er ... laborious!
Check wiring for loose connections or damaged insulation.

It will go back into the dealer this week.  I appreciate the opportunity to kick this around, so I can have a bit more of an informed discussion rather than just a hand wringing frustration-filled shrug fest!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you considered disabling the autolocking, think with fd only dealer can do or if you have scanner, to see how the locking/unlocking acts

Downside is the doors will be unlocked while driving/stopped at lights etc.

Fob actions should still be working.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Have you considered disabling the autolocking, think with fd only dealer can do or if you have scanner, to see how the locking/unlocking acts

Downside is the doors will be unlocked while driving/stopped at lights etc.

Fob actions should still be working.
I got the autolocking taken off on the very first service - nothing worse than premature ageing of locking relays for what I consider a needless action, but that's me.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal