i30 Owners Club

A new role for the top dash compartment - Instrumentation!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Some of you may recall that I've managed to rig up all sorts of brackets to convert the FD's top dash to accommodate things like GPS.

My latest 3D print is to accommodate a 25mm high Digital Volt Meter displaying 3 7-segment digits matching the blue of the instrument cluster. I haven't yet wired up the DVM (since that's the last step) but the quick (rough) prototype panel here is already holding it in place. The lid is held down via an extended paperclip secured to convenient nooks.

I like the low height resulting in a go-fast, sleek, slim instrumentation look. However, the DVM on its own looks lonely. I'm after ideas to include either side of the DVM to match its 25mm height. I could add an LED linear bargraph but I'm not sure what I should be measuring.

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Getting creative Gonz :goodjob2:

Turbo boost - oil pressure/oil temp - ambient temperature ( not sure if FD already has :undecided: ) - extra USB charge ports - clock.

Could also mount the phone there in landscape view for navigation or OBD11 monitoring apps.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Turbo boost - oil pressure/oil temp - ambient temperature ( not sure if FD already has :undecided: ) - extra USB charge ports - clock.
Could also mount the phone there in landscape view for navigation or OBD11 monitoring apps.
Thanks, Craig. Yes, the FD stereo displays temperature and time.

I have a 52mm circular turbo boost gauge but I now think it's too big to use. I could convert the boost signal to a VU meter reading for an LED bargraph if my OBD reports it rather than chasing it with a bit of hose through the firewall, but that may mean investing in a Raspberry Pi or Arduino, which sounds like overkill.

The extra USB charge ports are my lazy option if I don't think of anything else, but I already have two custom built between the cigarette lighters.

The landscape phone mount was my previous use for this spot but with my custom 3d printed charging phone holder, I already have Siri telling me where to go, if not the wife.  :lol:

Some suggestions need to tie into the engine compartment, which I'd rather avoid. That leaves somewhat self-contained sensors, such as g-meters. Would you believe I'm considering my own design for an inclinometer? No cables or hoses required. At least it will remind me not to take corners too fast.  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's one easy thing to build into the panel, but will it simply remind me that I'm driving lopsided?  :undecided:

ns

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
All done in good non-warping ABS and working. I kept this version simple for a quick win.
The best part is that the storage compartment is unchanged.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal