i30 Owners Club

Clear low pressure message on 2015 i30

Offline HyundaiAnotherDay

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England Northumberland
Hi - new to the forum. I have a 2015 petrol i30 and am increasingly frustrated with the tyre pressure sensors. Whenever I get the alert about a  specific tyre being low on the display, the alert itself hides the “miles remaining” info which I usually have on the display, and I can’t find any way to make the pressure alert go away to get back the normal display (other than pumping the tyre up of course which is very tiresome given how sensitive the pressure alerts seem to be).
Any advice on how to hide the pressure alert?
  • Hyundai i30 2015

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ho HyundaiAnotherDay and  :gunwelcome:

Do you have an issue (slow puncture?) with one or more of your tyres? Generally I keep mine around 36psi and only once had a LPA when one of them went below 30psi.

The display is most likely overriding whatever else due to the nature of the alert - ie, low pressure = a danger to drive.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline HyundaiAnotherDay

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England Northumberland
Thanks Shambles - I don’t think so as far as I know I think it’s just the usual pressure loss over time.

• Hyundai i30 2015

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I could be wrong on this, but I think the TMPS triggers a warning when the pressure drops below a % threshold of what it thinks is the normal pressure. The 'normal' pressure varies from car to car depending on wheel and tyre options. I think it 'learns' what the normal pressure is because it starts off with zero pressure before the tyre is fitted, then the tyre is fitted and inflated, then the car is driven around for a bit and the ECU gets stable readings from all four sensors, it decides that's the correct pressure assuming that whoever pumped the tyres up did it properly.

If, like me, you get some numbnuts that over-inflates the tyres ('cause they think you keep pumping air in until the warning light goes out) that pressure gets stored as being normal, and when your tyre pressures are correct, it's seen as low pressure compared to that abnormal benchmark. Try letting air out of all the tyres, pump them back up to the correct pressure, drive around for the ECU to learn the new 'normal' pressure, then it should be OK. My normal pressure is 36 PSI, the low pressure triggers at about 31 PSI. I check my tyre pressures regularly, usually they haven't fallen by more than 2 PSI between checks.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal