i30 Owners Club

Just Throwin' This one Out There

JJF3RD · 4 · 1522

Offline JJF3RD

• 1st Gear
Greetings again to all. Anyone had a 225/45-17 on a Gen I without it ripping something to pieces? I'm cross ref'n numbers with the specs on wheel-size.com  for my '10 (215/45-17) and I know there's a bit of wiggle room but not sure where I remember that from. I'm looking at +.35 in dia. +.39 in wdth. and +.18 sidewall. Brand new OEM $trut$ & thing$ (LOL) in front so it's nice and tight. I was just offered a GIFT of a deal for a set of  winters on pristine factory wheels however, it's about 140 miles from me so I'd want to be as certain as possible . . .
  • 2010 i30 2.0L Automatic

Offline JJF3RD

• 1st Gear
"No further questions your Honor". Just watch a vid of an i30 vs pot hole . . . not pretty. The +.35 may just as well have been +3.5 LOL!
  • 2010 i30 2.0L Automatic

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Greetings again to all. Anyone had a 225/45-17 on a Gen I without it ripping something to pieces? I'm cross ref'n numbers with the specs on wheel-size.com  for my '10 (215/45-17) and I know there's a bit of wiggle room but not sure where I remember that from. I'm looking at +.35 in dia. +.39 in wdth. and +.18 sidewall. Brand new OEM $trut$ & thing$ (LOL) in front so it's nice and tight. I was just offered a GIFT of a deal for a set of  winters on pristine factory wheels however, it's about 140 miles from me so I'd want to be as certain as possible . . .
Do the winter tyres have a bolder tread? That might cut down your clearance. At the end of the day, there is an acceptable "variance" in sizing. Some brands will build to the upper limit and some to the lower limit, so you won't really know until you fit the wheel and tyre assembly to the car, unfortunately.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ThatDanoBloke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
So how did you go? I'm considering factory 18" from a newer model on my 2016 GD. Hyundai make some pretty nice rims in an 18", with the 5x114.3 PCD and 50mm offset but I think all of them step up from a 6.5" to 7.5" width and I don't wanna touch the struts.  :scared:
  • 2016 GD3 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal