i30 Owners Club

Bricked GD03

Offline Kevinfra

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hey,
I downloaded an update file from cartronics and followed the instructions to update my GD03. The update started like normal until it stopped and bricked the car system. It just shows the Hyundai logo permanently now. The screen will open the reverse camera when I go into reverse. I've tried every reset I have come across; pressing radio and voice to reset, removing and replacing the fuse, disconnecting the battery, reseting the screen with a USB plugged in with an update file on it.
I suspect the cause is that I turned off the ignition during the update but I don't remember.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
  • i30 active 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't think 2017 models come installed with a GD-03 unit, mainly installed in the mid 2015 to early 2016 active models so I think you may have run the software update for a different unit :undecided:

As to rectifying the problem  I have no idea.

Is there a link to the update file? as Cartronics don't usually provide updates to the public, a photo of the head unit would be helpful for identification purposes also.

Offline Kevinfra

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely a GD03, matches pictures I've seen and the manual in the glovebox which matches the device is for a GD03. The update file I ran is from the forum here : https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e729d1c7f81dedab1bd8d57a9a43dac0&topic=52444.0
Kevin
  • i30 active 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the power was lost during the update I'd say it's cactus, you could ask Hyundai service to try resetting it with their software tools though they might not be able to connect with a corrupted system :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My best guess is the expression 'bricked' applies in the full sense.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Yes, loss of power part way through a firmware update will make most devices inoperable.

I think @CraigB had the best advice - go to a dealer and see if they can reflash using their superior systems. Worst case scenario they will be able to advise possible solutions and costs and you can work backwards from there.

• 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline Kevinfra

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Will see what the dealer thinks.
  • i30 active 2017

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal