i30 Owners Club

Hatch door will not unlock

Offline Ally Adams

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Eyre Peninsula
My 2013 i30 hatch door will not unlock. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution ?
  • Hyundai i30 diesel manual 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Ally. Regardless of the permanent solution, your first course of action is to set the back seats down and crawl in, then access the lock mechanism through the trap door in the plastic trim.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Just like Gonz said.

In few FD wagons the rear door opening button broke down. The rear foor lock is electrically operated. I assume the GD has some sort of similar structure. So after getting the boot open, removing the inside trim should give you access to check the wiring.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Does the tailgate open with the remote key fob? On my car there is a button on it to open the tailgate only? It might be the button on the tailgate or it could be the actuator that releases the lock. If it opens with the remote you know the actuator is ok.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Ally Adams

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Eyre Peninsula
Hi and have a Great  New Year.   I found the problem----the releasing lever in the latch assy is a moulded plastic finger. This broke off when the hatch door slammed shut. ( the pneumatic struts failed} There was no way to release.  Had to squeeze my not-so -lean frame over the back seats, remove the trim and drill  and butcher the lock. I am up for a new latch.   So-o-o do not let your hatch door slam.  Thanks for your inputs Gonz, Sundiz and BrendanP .             Ally
  • Hyundai i30 diesel manual 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good on ya, Ally. You're on your way to a fix. If you post a photo of the mechanism with the broken part, it would enhance the story and potential solutions for you. Have a great break and let us know when you're closer to town if you have the time or interest to see a couple of other i30s.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal