i30 Owners Club

2009 i30 Diesel eps/esp off light are on

coolbzk · 32 · 14619

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,
recently i noticed my steering wheel started to clunk and knocking when it passes the center, after i googled it, it seems the common problem for i30 due to a rubber bush corruption in steering motor,
so i checked with my mechanician and he said he will do some home work first.

then since last Saturday , both eps and esp off lights are on on my dash, the eps still works as the wheel is not that heavy, i called hyundai dealer and they said if it is a rubber bush problem, the eps light should not be on, and recommended me to drive in and diagnose first. if it is a steering column problem it will cost me around 4k Australia dollar  to replace it.

my mechanician also called me back saying hyundai should have a recall for this , so i called hyundai customer service with my vin number, but they said my car is not in the recall list .

i have eps off related brake switch recall in 2013, but both hyundai customer service and dealer have checked my vin and said my car is not valid for mdps recall :link: Hyundai?Hyundai Elantra (HD) & i30 (FD) MDPS | Product Safety Australia

the symptom looks the same.

i am not sure if i can do the rubber bush replacement by myself in worst case(hyundai refused to recall and asking 4k to fix it), my car is valued at 8k i think , i definitely not going to pay 4k to fix it.

any doc for how to dismount the steering motor without taking the steering wheel off ?

Much appreciated!

• i30 slx wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi coolbzk,

The worn bush is a separate cheap fix. There is plenty of info on her if that is required. I would probably not do it myself, but it depends on your levels of mechanical skills.

With the warning lights, you may get away with a reset in the short term at least, by disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery for a minimum of half an hour.

You may need to then do a short drive turning the steering fully to the right and left to calibrate it and clear the EPS light.

If this doesn't help and your power steering malfunctions (loses assistance or starts randomly pulling in different directions) then it may need replacement.

For the small amount of people who have had this issue not covered by warranty, the cheapest option is to try and source  a second hand one with some warranty from a wreckers yard or other part supplier. I think the last I heard the going price for that assembly secondhand was between A$500 and A$1000.

Hope that helps.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
much appreciated  Dazzler
i did disconnect negative pin on my battery, but just for only few minutes , the lights were still on after put the power back, till now. i think i will do it again following your advice to make it few hours for safe.

yesterday i also connected a BDO2 scanner trying to find something, and it actually gave me no error code at all.

booked hyundai dealer to diagnose my car next Monday and see what they can find.

i will keep update here.

again thanks for your inputs Dazzler~~~
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No problems.  If you need help finding any applicable threads let me know. Too much on this site now. Sometimes hard to find stuff!

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
I have the same problem.

I replaced the bush myself following the instruction sheet that is somewhere on this site, it was not too hard to do.

However my lights are still on, connecting it to a scanner showed that it is the steering angle sensor having no output/not registering movement. Apparently the only way to replace this is to replace the whole power steering unit. Mine still drives ok with functioning power steering so have not bothered going any further with it yet.

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
ibooked hyundai dealer to diagnose my car next Monday and see what they can find.

i will keep update here.

@coolbzk   NO NO  NO! Sure we have supplied enough info to do the job yourself if you are handy.
But also supplied herein: clearly it is not a $ 4000 repair and clearly the dealer is on trend to empty your wallet.

If you were to do the 2.5hr repair yourself you would need to get your independent mechanic to set the ESP centre. 5 minute job with scan tool.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Steve for your update

so you still have the eps /esp off lights on ?
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
ibooked hyundai dealer to diagnose my car next Monday and see what they can find.

i will keep update here.

@coolbzk   NO NO  NO! Sure we have supplied enough info to do the job yourself if you are handy.
But also supplied herein: clearly it is not a $ 4000 repair and clearly the dealer is on trend to empty your wallet.

If you were to do the 2.5hr repair yourself you would need to get your independent mechanic to set the ESP centre. 5 minute job with scan tool.

Thanks nzenigma, i tried to disconnect the battery for few hours , but the lights are still there.

not sure how to clear it , i may need to talk to my mechnican to check the error code, as my simple one didnt provide me any error code.
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

i will keep update here.

Thanks nzenigma, i tried to disconnect the battery for few hours , but the lights are still there.

not sure how to clear it , i may need to talk to my mechnican to check the error code, as my simple one didnt provide me any error code.

No use trying to clear codes until bush is replaced. Fix that and ESP can be centred with Proscan or similar device. I dont think your mechanic has much knowledge about this bush replacement so ask some questions elsewhere, NOT the dealership. The bush is a fault common to many Hyundais so someone in your region has to be on top of it. Remember, it is only a 4 hour repair first time you do it.... therefore, your dealer was going to charge you $1000 per hour.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi

Firstly to coolbzk, yes the lights are still on

Secondly to nzenigma, I think the $4000 quote was most likely for complete power steering unit replacement or maybe even just supply and not for just the bush. Also my lights could not be reset after bush replacement, there were no error codes and as the steering angle sensor was not outputting/registering movement the zero setting could not be done. If these lights are on for the same reason perhaps they also will not be able to be reset.

I have not read anywhere else where people having to do the bush have had these 2 lights on so think this instance may be the same as mine.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I have not read anywhere else where people having to do the bush have had these 2 lights on so think this instance may be the same as mine.

Keep reading,
 @tw2005  and I have discussed this here at length. We have both contributed accurate information available if you use the search engine . The instruction sheet you followed is probably our work.
In several posts, I have mentioned that one or both lights will be on until steering is centred, also said EPS may stay on after engine is stopped. Battery must be disconnected and connected again.
PS this info comes from practical experience and many repairs.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
yesterday i also connected a BDO2 scanner trying to find something, and it actually gave me no error code at all.

No codes will be showing. A cheap $30 scanner, that I assume you have, is very handy, but for the reset you need a more sophisticated workshop unit. Think $2500. :Pout:

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

No codes will be showing. A cheap $30 scanner, that I assume you have, is very handy, but for the reset you need a more sophisticated workshop unit. Think $2500. :Pout:

I don't have a scanner at all, what was used was an auto electricians unit, as you described, a sophisticated unit. While viewing the scanner the steering wheel was turned at which time there was no change to the steering angle, unlike other readings such as yaw that were changing as the wheel was turned to and fro

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

Keep reading,
 @tw2005  and I have discussed this here at length. We have both contributed accurate information available if you use the search engine . The instruction sheet you followed is probably our work.
In several posts, I have mentioned that one or both lights will be on until steering is centred, also said EPS may stay on after engine is stopped. Battery must be disconnected and connected again.

I probably didn't explain myself properly here, what I meant is I can't recall these 2 lights being on before the job of replacing the bush except in mine and this case.

As for the search engine I have used it extensively but never seem to be able to find what I am after and always seem to get results that are nothing to do with what I am looking for so tend to rely on those of you that know what you are talking about to provide advice.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There is definitely a knack to using the search engine. I select Advanced search then untick all topics and selectively tick the most likely areas. Then search for most likely fault descriptions. It still usually involves some scrolling through topics to find the applicable ones. Not always a fun experience.  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Keep reading,

I probably didn't explain myself properly here, what I meant is I can't recall these 2 lights being on before the job of replacing the bush except in mine and this case.

As for the search engine I have used it extensively but never seem to be able to find what I am after and always seem to get results that are nothing to do with what I am looking for so tend to rely on those of you that know what you are talking about to provide advice.
I'm a little confused, so are you saying that you had a pre-existing fault with the angle sensor prior to replacing the coupling?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

Keep reading,

I'm a little confused, so are you saying that you had a pre-existing fault with the angle sensor prior to replacing the coupling?

That is a definite yes from me and from the way I understand coolbzk posts it is also a yes for him

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thats Not what he said    :crazy1:

Hi all,
recently i noticed my steering wheel started to clunk and knocking when it passes the center, after i googled it, it seems the common problem for i30 due to a rubber bush corruption in steering motor,

then since last Saturday , both eps and esp off lights are on on my dash, the eps still works as the wheel is not that heavy, .....

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

Hi all,

then since last Saturday , both eps and esp off lights are on on my dash, the eps still works as the wheel is not that heavy, .....

I think you will find that is what he said, further down the post you quoted he said,

i am not sure if i can do the rubber bush replacement by myself in worst case(hyundai refused to recall and asking 4k to fix it), my car is valued at 8k i think , i definitely not going to pay 4k to fix it.

any doc for how to dismount the steering motor without taking the steering wheel off ?

Much appreciated!

So he clearly has not yet done the replacement nor has he had it done for him, therefore the issue of his eps/esp off lights being on before having replaced the rubber bush is the same as I experienced

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Whatever :wacko:

He's so confused now he is going to the dealer; I think today and ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear

Hi all,

I think you will find that is what he said, further down the post you quoted he said,

Much appreciated!

So he clearly has not yet done the replacement nor has he had it done for him, therefore the issue of his eps/esp off lights being on before having replaced the rubber bush is the same as I experienced

you are right, i have not done anything, and both lights are on.
with the scanner , no error codes

i think we are on the same boat.

i dont mind  the lights during daily driving, but can not sell the car with them.

• i30 slx wagon

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear

He's so confused now he is going to the dealer; I think today and ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dealer rescheduled check to tomorrow

so i will make the update after tomorrow

the 4k quote is from dealer if they need to replace the fault column with a brand new steering column+labour.

my mechnican also said the best shot may find a second hand steering column to replace.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 23:56:09 by coolbzk »
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

the 4k quote is from dealer if they need to replace the fault column with a brand new steering column+labour.

my mechnican also said the best shot may find a second hand steering column to replace.

Ok this thread has become messy because two separate members repairs are being discussed.

Tread carefully tomorrow   :cool:

Yes if you look at a replacement column., there are plenty of second hand ones about. Probably about $400. But here's the rub: the bush may be old , new, or never going to fail in the second hand column  :(

If I was going in that direction, I would still replace the bush. It will only cost you $5 - $20.
The time to open the column and replace it is only about  10 minutes.

To remove and reinstall a column is between 2.5hrs and 4 hours depending upon the mechanic's experience (incuding bush replacement).
Your mechanic is not familiar with this so he will charge  his hourly rate x 4. = $480

On balance, your column is as good as a 2nd hand one.

Q. What do you prefer , total of $485 or $880?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:40:43 by nzenigma »

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear

Ok this thread has become messy because two separate members repairs are being discussed.

Tread carefully tomorrow   :cool:

Yes if you look at a replacement column., there are plenty of second hand ones about. Probably about $400. But here's the rub: the bush may be old , new, or never going to fail in the second hand column  :(

If I was going in that direction, I would still replace the bush. It will only cost you $5 - $20.
The time to open the column and replace it is only about  10 minutes.

To remove and reinstall a column is between 2.5hrs and 4 hours depending upon the mechanic's experience (incuding bush replacement).
Your mechanic is not familiar with this so he will charge  his hourly rate x 4. = $480

On balance, your column is as good as a 2nd hand one.

Q. What do you prefer , total of $485 or $880?

yes, i will definitely replace the bush if i go with the second hand column.
for $485 or $880, depends on tomorrow's diagnose, if dealer can clear the error code (if there is any with their scanner) and switch off the lights, i will just replace the bush, if they can not and saying it is the column problem, i will go with $880.
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Bear in mind the light(s) will come back on when you install your column, be it your original or another, because it will be indicating a new centre position. Will need another reset.
Simple and only way to avoid this is to mark your original column before it is removed so that it is refitted into exactly the same spline on the steering rack. Also, the power steer motor cannot be rotated at all when fitting the bush.

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
Bear in mind the light(s) will come back on when you install your column, be it your original or another, because it will be indicating a new centre position. Will need another reset.
Simple and only way to avoid this is to mark your original column before it is removed so that it is refitted into exactly the same spline on the steering rack. Also, the power steer motor cannot be rotated at all when fitting the bush.

Here is the update from dealer

Dealer did the diagnose today and called me back , saying the lights are caused by the bush , and they need to take the whole column out and replace the bush, which will cost AU$440, i confirmed they will fix the lights after replacing the bush, this price also includes the diagnose fee, which is $121 if i choose somewhere else to fix it, so i let them go ahead.
Can not get my car back today, will see how it goes tomorrow

thanks all~
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fair enough , I think they have been reading our mail.  :whistler:

thanks all~
much  appreciated  :goodjob2:

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
Hi guys,

got my car back today, all good now, lights are off and no knocking/clunk anymore .

total cost is $445 from hyundai dealer.

they also show me the bush they took out from your motor, totally grinded just like others showed on youtube.

dealer charged me $50 for the new bush :Shocked:

dont know how they fix the eps/esp off lights

from the report there is an item called clear the error code , not sure if they have a special tool to  read it and clear

as my $7 scanner can not read anything.

anyway, happy have my problem fixed with this price.

thanks everyone.

• i30 slx wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear, although they did very well out of the job...  :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the update coolbzk, appreciated by all of us.  :goodjob2: good to hear it has been resolved.

Good to hear, although they did very well out of the job...  :disapp:

Dazz  re Bush price increase:
Ok it was only $5, but there is inflation, freight charge between two rooms in same building, admin fee, perusal fee, computer time....the costs are endless. $50 was a bargain! :faint:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal