2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

Chin Ho · 159 · 50835

Offline Chin Ho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Chin Ho
Hi All,
I am experiencing a low transmission vibration when accelerating under load from 1,800 to 2000 rpm in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gears ( it's a manual ) Hyundai Aust service ctr. has replaced clutch and all seals plus selector fork but to no avail. At my cost due to no cover of clutch under warranty ! This did not fix the problem and mechanics are now baffled. Tyres are balanced and aligned. Car has done 60k easy driving and is always serviced well within guidelines. Any thoughts please ?

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I no longer have my 2008 FD manual diesel but I recall that when accelerating from a low speed the transmission would shudder until the revs picked up and the turbo kicked in. It was commonly reported here on the forum and the solution was just a matter of adjusting how you drive and making sure you selected lower gears in order to keep the revs up. It may well be that this is your issue and that the car itself is fine.
Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Between 1,800-2,000rpm there shouldn't be any shudder ... It well in the maximum torque band between 1750-2750rpm. I don't have the issue with my 5spd 09 i30cw and it doesnt even shudder towing an 1100kg camper.

I'd be definitely making sure Hyundai take care of this under warranty.

The diesel isn't going to be a race car, but if your changing gear at the correct time and are progressive on the accelerator it shouldn't be shuddering.

Sorry I can't help anymore than that
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Between 1,800-2,000rpm there shouldn't be any shudder ... It well in the maximum torque band between 1750-2750rpm. I don't have the issue with my 5spd 09 i30cw and it doesnt even shudder towing an 1100kg camper.

I'd be definitely making sure Hyundai take care of this under warranty.

The diesel isn't going to be a race car, but if your changing gear at the correct time and are progressive on the accelerator it shouldn't be shuddering.

Sorry I can't help anymore than that

:whsaid:

Have to agree with elantraelite. I can even accelerate without shudder from less than 1800 revs when towing my 1400 kg caravan...  :happydance:
EDIT: Not in 5th gear, but other gears, no problem.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 21:58:58 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I no longer have my 2008 FD manual diesel but I recall that when accelerating from a low speed the transmission would shudder until the revs picked up and the turbo kicked in. It was commonly reported here on the forum and the solution was just a matter of adjusting how you drive and making sure you selected lower gears in order to keep the revs up. It may well be that this is your issue and that the car itself is fine.
Russ

What Russell said is correct, but usually happened under or near the 1500 RPM mark, not at 1800 rpm or higher?

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Russ

What Russell said is correct, but usually happened under or near the 1500 RPM mark, not at 1800 rpm or higher?

Agree, but that was only in 5th gear, Chin Ho mentions 3+4+5th gear with the problem...  :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Russ

Agree, but that was only in 5th gear, Chin Ho mentions 3+4+5th gear with the problem...  :undecided:

That's right, I couldn't remember which gear off the top of my head. Been 5 years since I traded in my CRDi  :Shocked: :faint:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could it be an engine mount, belt tension, even exhaust mounting problem. Given the work already performed, I'd be looking at other areas for the source. Only other nasty would be a failing bearing or shaft problem in the drive train somewhere. Just guessing, really.

PS, I wonder if the tyre tread is damaged, (there's a word for it but I can't remember what it is),  Surferdude would know what I mean, usually from hard acceleration of braking.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Think it's called harmonic vibration or something like that Phil. :undecided:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Harmonic resonance is the term, i believe. It's what breaks wine glasses.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No, there's a condition where the individual tread wears at an angle relative to the wheel rotation, instead of presenting a round surface to the road, a toothed edge is presented and this can cause vibration.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Chin Ho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Chin Ho
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your advice, it is now in the hands of the dealer.
They have had the car for 8 working days now and counting.
They have contacted HMCA ( Hyundai Australia ) for help.
Fingers crossed, I will let you know the outcome.

Offline duttowisch74

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
I have the same problem with our I30 2011. Vibrations 1600-1900rpm, very noisy. Hyundai says it is normal when the Turbo charger starts... I don't believe them. I think it is the EGR that have make a lot of sot in the intake. But I have warranty until September so i will try again.
Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:28:14 by duttowisch74 »
  • I30 2011

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
Not sure if it's relevant but a friend of mine had similar problem. Turned out to be track rod ends. His problem was occurring more between 30-40mph. That's was on a vauxhall zafira.
  • 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All,
I am experiencing a low transmission vibration when accelerating under load from 1,800 to 2000 rpm in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gears ( it's a manual )

I have something identical in my 2011 FD i30. Occurs around 1600 to 1800 rpm just until the turbo spools up. Vibration through the car, mild if level ground but worse if the car is under load or accelerating swiftly.

I reported it at the last service. Was noted and experienced by the technician (who I had no confidence in because  of some false reporting), but nothing found.

At this stage I don't know if it's a problem or just a characteristic of the engine and transmission. Keen to find out if the OP gets it sorted out.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi All,
I am experiencing a low transmission vibration when accelerating under load from 1,800 to 2000 rpm in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gears ( it's a manual )

I have something identical in my 2011 FD i30. Occurs around 1600 to 1800 rpm just until the turbo spools up. Vibration through the car, mild if level ground but worse if the car is under load or accelerating swiftly.

I reported it at the last service. Was noted and experienced by the technician (who I had no confidence in because  of some false reporting), but nothing found.

At this stage I don't know if it's a problem or just a characteristic of the engine and transmission. Keen to find out if the OP gets it sorted out.

This vibration in the diesel usually occurs in higher gears at lower RPM (under 1500 rpm) and seems to be exaggerated if they are running a bit rough.

Apparently they fixed it by the time the FD got the 6 speed transmission according to Member Lakes (who had both models of FD)

Offline duttowisch74

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
Hi,
we are quite many that have the problem with vibrations until the turbo starts up. I will test two I30 next week to see if the problem are there as well. I bought the car from friend and he can not remember any vibrations.
  • I30 2011

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

This vibration in the diesel usually occurs in higher gears at lower RPM (under 1500 rpm) and seems to be exaggerated if they are running a bit rough.

Apparently they fixed it by the time the FD got the 6 speed transmission according to Member Lakes (who had both models of FD)

The problem with that theory is that my car is the 6 speed manual MY12 model.

I suspect Lakes is meaning a different type of vibration.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Have a look at something I posted a couple of years ago based on vibration and acceleration:

:link: Labouring/lack of power
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline duttowisch74

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
Hi!
Look at this tread, :link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)
The problem were the clutch. "Early days but it appears this 1800rpm+ vibration/rattle has been fixed by a 3 part clutch kit.  Warranty  :mrgreen:"
  • I30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi!
Look at this tread, :link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)
The problem were the clutch. "Early days but it appears this 1800rpm+ vibration/rattle has been fixed by a 3 part clutch kit.  Warranty  :mrgreen:"

:ta: Wish there was a bit more consistency between dealers in situations like this. Some are a lot more agreeable fixing things under warranty than others. :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
It's always hard to describe, things like this, but a good wrench ( for a better word? ) that knows there job well should be able to work it out.
I owned two FD CRDi manual one was 5 speed 2008 year i hit a big Kangaroo with it, then got a new FD CRDi 6speed if I recall rightly was around same time or a week before constipated . So I got to know the two different gear box's & the motors, the second one was a good improvement over the first one.
But for the $ I payed Wow what a bargain they both were loved them both &it hey loved me :rofl:
But they had there own personalities that made them even more special. The first one had a little quirk of it's own, if I got too lazy & did not shift down a gear when I should, this always happened in third gear it did a funny jerky shake that I got to know. But that was my falt from lugging her.

The second one with update tune & six speed manual never ever done that & could pull smoother from low rev's but we only have a little 1.6 or 98 cubic inch or a family size bottle of drink. It's a small motor keep rev's 1,900 n up boy's n girl's . Or better still ride a pushy up a hill in high gear see how you feel.
The original problem could be a number of things would need to drive it myself.
But I'll tell you one thing they can't do & if you try to force them to do it you will stuff up your clutch.
That is try to reverse them up a very steep incline I found out this on my cousins drive they go up that forward with ease but can't go up reverse you have to ride clutch too much I could smell my clutch burning so, never ever tried it again both 5 &6 same

Offline Chin Ho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Chin Ho
Hi Guys,
Thank you for all your advice and referrals on my transmission woes....

Quick update. The vibration was originally diagnosed as clutch plate shudder.
The clutch plate was replaced but the vibration continued ( Costing me over $1,000 out of pocket due to clutch not being a warranty item.)
I took my i30 back, and after having my car in their workshop for 6 weeks the Hyundai Dealer "Suttons Rosebery" finally replaced the flywheel and the vibration has ceased.
They also made it a very difficult and lengthy process to get my $1,000 refund for the incorrect diagnosis. This took over 3 months of many, many emails and calls to Hyundai Aust. and Suttons.
And this was only after involving Dept. of Fair Trading. Funny how quickly they paid up when I started legal proceedings. I have now got my money back for the faulty diagnosis on the clutch plate. Overall a very poor experience for me and my future confidence in Hyundai Australia and Suttons Rosebery.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks very much for the update, can understand how (and why) you feel that way.  :head_butt: :goodjob:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Good to have a resolution. Chin, I have PMed you for more info.

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Does it sound like it's the same issue as mine here?

:link: Clutch vibration+noise 2012 CRDi Wagon Manual

They ended up replacing my whole clutch under warranty which fixed it, but the noise came back when the clutch was the same age as the old clutch. Once again this lead to a terrible time having to deal with Tynan Hyundai, and it remains unresolved to this day.
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:sad:

Offline tuchan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
First post here, been lurking but hadn't posted till I got my own issue with this vibration sorted out, FD 2010 CRDI.

I can confirm the same issues with vibration.

Had the gearbox off, clutch plate had loose springs. Car had done 120K.

Replaced clutch plate and back together, fixed and is now just fine.

• 2010 i30 FD CRDI

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've just bought a 2011 FD 6 speed manual, and have noticed the slight vibration in 3rd gear around 1800rpm. I'm not fused about it as long as it doesn't get worse, I'll just take it as a quirk of the car as another member posted.

My car is still under warranty until April 2015, maybe I will at least report the issue now so if it does get worse when out of warranty the issue would have been noted within the warranty. I've never had a car with a factory warranty before, do I report the issue to the large dealer (Holden) I bought it from, or go to a Hyundai dealer?
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Do these things have a dual mass flywheel?
Useless things were always vibrating in Nissan's Patrols etc.
Cheapest fix was to go to a solid wheel which was not as smooth overall but still a vast improvement on the factory wheel.
  • i-30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal