i30 Owners Club

Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us - part #2

meehalych · 591 · 114583

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Last week on the news I saw this report.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/caroline-davis-died-while-out-for-a-jog-on-her-birthday-20180606-p4zjoj.html

I wondered at the time if she maybe had headphones on and didn't look as well as she should have as she crossed the road. Although there was nothing in any reports which suggested that.

Anyway, the fact that she was fit and died on her birthday struck me as particularly sad.

Last night I got this post from one of my facebook friends, a couple who I have known since the early 70's, watched them get to know one another, fall in love and marry. Two absolutely wonderful people.

"For those who don't know the sad news, our eldest daughter Caroline (Caz) was killed last Tuesday whilst jogging. It was her 33rd Birthday & she was training for the Noosa Triathlon.

She was to compete in this year's Noosa Triathlon & was raising money for "Cure Brain Cancer". For those who would like to donate on behalf of Caroline, the link is as follows.... :link: everydayhero: Noosa Triathlon Multi Sport Festival 2018 I know that Caroline would appreciate any donations. For those who are interested, her funeral will be on Friday 15th at St. David's Anglican Church Chelmer at 10,30am. We would like that those attending wear bright colours to celebrate the life of a sunny, funny, caring, witty, special young woman who will be dearly missed by many people. It is with a heavy heart that I posted this but I am determined that she is one truly good person whose memory is not forgotten."

It's taken me until this morning to be able to reply.

Meg and Richard were motor sport friends, RCCQ members and Meg and two other women drove a Fiat in the Repco Round Australia Trial in 1979. When I left motor sport in 1985, I lost touch but a few years ago thanks to FB we linked up again and at a rallying reunion a couple of years ago, I found them to be still the same absolutely lovely couple.

Life can be so unfair.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! That is a pretty incredible story Trevor and so sad. When I hear of good people dying in their 30's and younger it makes me feel very thankful that I have at the very least made my early sixties.

When you think of the number of ways we can be "taken" it is amazing that some people manage to survive to my Dad's age or older.  :undecided:

While I'm not religious and don't believe in God as such, I do think our lives are somehow mapped out to a certain extent and that when your time is up, that's it!  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Very sad news Surferdude...my condolences :blubber:

-yesterday my work Caddy here in East London (I am here for the week) that I had parked perfectly fine in the demarcated parking bay was t-boned by another vehicle (Isuzu KB300) as his brakes failed and he swerved to avoid another car. I wasn't in the Caddy at the time of the collision, but it was pretty sad seeing the b-pillar, floor pan and door all out of whack. I took the rest of the afternoon off to file the accident report at the local police station, deal with the company's insurance and gather as much info as I could.
+I wasn't inside the Caddy when it happened, otherwise I would be pretty bruised today!
-+I got my loan vehicle today, a Ford Ranger with the 2.2 TDCi engine. It's very hefty and a chore to park around town, but at least it has enough stonk and goes like the clappers once you put your foot down and you manage to get it in that meaty torque curve. Also pretty economical around town - the OBC reads 6.7l/100km currently. I'm deducting points for no fire extinguisher equipped, but thankfully this one doesn't have a Kuga badge on.
-+I finish up at my current employer on the 29th of June, and start my new position on the 5th of July. I am both excited for the new prospects but sad to leave as my current company has been very good to me.
+Myself and the girlfriend have a trip to Hogsback soon, and we are hoping to see some snow :victory:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! Always something happening Phil. Lucky you weren't in it at the time!  :crazy1:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
First day of vaccation today, no more work for four weeks! Got some ferry tickets to spend a week on Gotland, also a tent and a roofbox. Was planning for denmark, but apparently the dog needs both a passport and a rabies shot to go there, the latter which needs to have been given at least 3 weeks prior to arrival.

Now just to hope the box arrives before we depart, otherwise its gonna be a helluva puzzle to fit everything in the car(unfortunatly we cant flat pack the dog, so half the trunk goes to him).
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good luck with it all.  Hope you have a great time! ; :victory:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Sunny and 27°C just now, and will be several more days at least. However I still have one more week to sweat at work (where it's also hot inside now) before my 4-week vacation is on. I wouldn't be surprised a slightest bit if this weather goes away exactly then...  :rolleyes:

At least the weekend is now on, and I try to enjoy the weather while it lasts. Today I was in Joensuu for my car service and took my bicycle into the trunk, and then rode about 20 km around the city and suburbs during the service.  :cool: I should do that more often...
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sunny and 27°C just now, and will be several more days at least. However I still have one more week to sweat at work (where it's also hot inside now) before my 4-week vacation is on. I wouldn't be surprised a slightest bit if this weather goes away exactly then...  :rolleyes:

At least the weekend is now on, and I try to enjoy the weather while it lasts. Today I was in Joensuu for my car service and took my bicycle into the trunk, and then rode about 20 km around the city and suburbs during the service.  :cool: I should do that more often...

Enjoy hearing all these stories from our regulars.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
- our beloved cat Bella crossed over the rainbow bridge today.  At nearly 18years old she was a constant in our lives. We will miss her terribly, but at least she is with out beautiful dog Tarnie once more.

I can’t at this point think of anything positive to add. 
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very sorry to hear that Cecilia xxx

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sad to hear kittikat, our pets become family members and it's never nice to lose one :(

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
- our beloved cat Bella crossed over the rainbow bridge today.  At nearly 18years old she was a constant in our lives. We will miss her terribly, but at least she is with out beautiful dog Tarnie once more.

Condolences.
Our Samantha got to 16 and was a major part of our and our kids' lives.
It was more than three years before we were able to face getting another. Josephine has not replaced Sam but she has injected her own unique personality into our household.

All the best.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

I am so sorry for your loss

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Sorry to hear about your loss, very sad when a loved pet passes. Obviously Bella had a great life with you and gave you a lot of pleasure for 18 years and I am sure you will never forget her or Tarnie. There is not much a person can say at this time to ease the hurt but when it eases it will be time to give another pet a great home & life.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :blubber:
Always hurts,  😦
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts.   :DoubleKiss:

It’s a very tough time for my family. I think it will be quite a while before we go back for another pet, it’s just too raw at the moment.  :blubber:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So sorry to hear of tour loss.

We lost our 5yo cat in feb.
He was hit by a vehicle, not sure if car or van, right outside our drive and they never stopped.

Outright killed.

We said that was it no more but............ A visit to the local rescue shelter and we now have a female rescue kitten, 7 months old, who we have had for 5 months.
She has now been spayed and only this last week has been venturing out.

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Sorry about the loss, always hurts to loose pets, especially when they have been along so many years.
:link: I30 with Calix 600 on oem rack - Album on Imgur

Apparently I cant link pictures from my ipad, so here is a link...(will fix later).

Got the box on the roof now, a Calix 600, swedish made box. 600l, 225cm long and 80 wide, started loading it today with chairs and stuff and man does it swallow a lot! Its like two more boots on the roof. And still under 2m for cheaper ferry fares.

Dog still has to share the boot with the tent, that is a little to big (high) to fit in the box. It does fit, in the centre, but then its hard to fit the other weird size stuff.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

That was 3 weeks ago and the weather has been about the same whole time!  :cool: Daily highs have been 26 to 32°C, sunny and 30 just now, but in next few days will gradually drop to around 20 and afternoon showers with possible thunder can be expected (which is closer to our normal summer days).

The average temp of July was record high in many areas of Finland but the all-time daily high record of 37.2 from 2010 wasn't even nearly reached. A/C at home is a blessed thing and vital part for these hot days to be enjoyable.

Not so good news is that my Yamaha has been 2 weeks in the workshop for repairing those crash damages. Of course they found one more damaged part which wasn't noticed earlier, and now it seems it'll be delivered from Holland by bottle mail! The muffler fastener plate is warped and new muffler doesn't fit, so it can't be let to be replaced later.  :wait: :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a bit of a bugger tohis! Our weather has been wetter and colder than usual for the last month or more.  :disapp:

Global weather extremes are definitely affected by something.  :undecided:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
- haven't been here for a long time due to work load
- Tapatalk still refuses to log me in to this forum
- 105000km service cost me a fortune today: scheduled works + 4 disks replacement along with pads
+ it is time I changed my Ceed to something new - thinking of new Optima (had a chance to seat inside it today while waiting for the end of maintenance), new Ceed (it comes to market in September) or new Cerato.
- Hyundai doesn't have many cars to choose from in Russia (I would come to buy i40 then).
- VW passat, Volvo V40CC or V60CC would cost me too much with the options I want.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

- haven't been here for a long time due to work load
- Tapatalk still refuses to log me in to this forum
- 105000km service cost me a fortune today: scheduled works + 4 disks replacement along with pads
+ it is time I changed my Ceed to something new - thinking of new Optima (had a chance to seat inside it today while waiting for the end of maintenance), new Ceed (it comes to market in September) or new Cerato.
- Hyundai doesn't have many cars to choose from in Russia (I would come to buy i40 then).
- VW passat, Volvo V40CC or V60CC would cost me too much with the options I want.

Great to hear from you mate.You've been quiet on FB too. How's bub growing (what age now?)

Excited about you car shopping. Keep us posted.  :happydance:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Dazzler
yep, the summer turned out hot (my working hours in last month went up to 360)
Well, my daughter is 6 months old now :), growing up fast

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler
yep, the summer turned out hot (my working hours in last month went up to 360)
Well, my daughter is 6 months old now :), growing up fast

Awesome. Love to see a photo some time.  :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
(my working hours in last month went up to 360)

90 hours per week :scared:  sheez :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Technically only 83.1408775982 hours per week, but that's still a lot!  :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Technically only 83.1408775982 hours per week, but that's still a lot!  :crazy1:
Yep. 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Crazy.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Since last Friday the bike has been back and all fixed.  :cool: Unlike earlier, the fairing has now the FAZER sticker which is omitted from bikes sold here, because the Fazer brand name is already owned by other Finnish company. Let's hope it will stay tyres down from now on!  :victory:

Then it was the car to have something fixed. During the last week I had to add air into the left rear tyre twice, and by closer inspection I found a nail puncture!  :scared: It has been there for some time, long enough to have the base of it break off. However it didn't leak much, only 0.1 bar per day. It was easily fixed at local tyre workshop by gluing a tubeless patch into the hole, taking only few minutes and cost 15 EUR. Never had that happen before, however 20 years ago I had a flat for unknown cause, which was then fixed by using inner tube.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Since last Friday the bike has been back and all fixed.  :cool: Unlike earlier, the fairing has now the FAZER sticker which is omitted from bikes sold here, because the Fazer brand name is already owned by other Finnish company. Let's hope it will stay tyres down from now on!  :victory:

Then it was the car to have something fixed. During the last week I had to add air into the left rear tyre twice, and by closer inspection I found a nail puncture!  :scared: It has been there for some time, long enough to have the base of it break off. However it didn't leak much, only 0.1 bar per day. It was easily fixed at local tyre workshop by gluing a tubeless patch into the hole, taking only few minutes and cost 15 EUR. Never had that happen before, however 20 years ago I had a flat for unknown cause, which was then fixed by using inner tube.

Looks pretty racy! Nice bike.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal