i30 Owners Club

K&N Pod filter install on std Pipe

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Fitted my K&N pod filter onto the standard intake pipe.
I have ordered a TORCON One Bend Aluminum Intake.  For which the K&N filter will fit directly on.
You can't see it in the photos. I have a cable tie looped around the clamp band & the std top filter mount, holding it secure 
:link: TORCON One Bend Aluminum Intake Kit for Hyundai Elantra Sport (Avante AD) 2017+ | eBay

You get a lot better intake sound coming though.  Any extra power??   With the std intake pipe, most likely not a great deal.
I do feel that the std air filter box & air filter are a little on the small size. My Astra 1.8lt air box & filter was larger.
So there would be plenty of air flowing through..    I will update when the new intake pipe arrives.
I do have another pod filter here, if anyone here in Perth wishes to try this on their own car. If you like it, you can have the filter for free  :goodjob2:

Cheers

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not cheap are they!! I had good results with the POD setup though economy gets hampered by roughly 1ltr per hundred at low speeds and traffic lights with hot air off the engine, a setup like this :link: 2018+ i30-Elantra GT Turbo OEM-Style Intake Pipe Kit - Shark Racing (pictured below) with a K&N panel filter in the airbox would work efficiently once opened up the intake side of the factory airbox.

TBH just the panel filter and improving the intake port side of the air box is all thats really neccesary which is what I've ended up doing with mine, I did notice on the PD's that they've made better improvements to the airbox intake side which I thought were quite good now.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:32:04 by CraigB »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I agree with Craig.
also if you hear sucking from the filter, it means air is getting sucked through filter element . So this means air is traveling from out side the filter, you want enough air space, inside the filter. for a smooth, uninterrupted flow of air. it is also possible to test how well it's working. by taking a vacuum reading from that pipe between, intake and filter element . A high vacuum reading would mean filter more restrictive , so if you then made changes and saw a lower vacuum reading, it would mean you had improved the flow.
good luck with it.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate it looks the part :goodjob2:
However, first thing that caught my eye was all the hot air you are dragging in from the rad and engine. would be good if you could shield  it and increase the 'street air' flow.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Unfortunately no. They aren't cheap at all.
I will be looking at doing some sort of shielding around the air filter. To try & keep some of the hot air out.
Though I have read somewhere. That getting some of the hotter air from under the bonnet doesn't affect turbo intercooled engines as much as NA engines.
As the air will be cooled by the intercooler anyway before entering the engine.

When the intake pipe gets here, I will be removing the lower half of the airbox & see what can be done to introduce cooler air.

But the plan is to make it easy to attach all the original bits back on easily for when servicing is due..
Though I don't think having an intake on like this would affect warranty in any way..
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal