i30 Owners Club

i30 oil seal issues / oil pump / crank end play

Offline tone944

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi I'm new to this forum...

I am helping a friend diagnose an oil leak from the front crank seal on his 2010 i30 2.0l petrol. The seal is getting blown/pushed out.

I've read several threads on this forum but couldn't find how to add a reply to them. Seems the oil pump is at the front of the crank and the likely culprit. Also seems that end play on the crank due to worn thrust bearings is related.

Here are my questions:
- The crank only has 12 thou end play, apparently 10 is max spec, but surely 12 can't be enough to damage the pump and cause high pressure on the seal. I would have expected the fit to the crank has a spline or flat to drive and has the ability to at least allow for differential expansion. Or does the thrust washer fail and the oil pump become the device that takes all the thrust from the clutch? Your thoughts would be appreciated?
- What is the spec on oil pressure for these engines? Do the relief's get stuck?
- If it is thrust bearing failure, causing oil pump damage, is it feasible to replace pump and main/thrust bearings? Or are the cranks typically damaged beyond repair?
- We haven't done a PCV test yet. I know turbo Volvo's have an issue with cam seals blowing out due to blocked up PCV, I know it's unlikely, but just in case I'll ask... Is this ever an issue with i30? From the images I've seen of the pump, I expect this seal only gets oil pressure and not crankcase pressure, is this correct? Or is there a drain port from the seal back to sump?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:11:36 by tone944 »
  • i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I can't answer from a professional point of view but the specs are 2 -10 thou. My mind tells me the fact you are out of spec means you have a thrust bearing issue and we have read of a couple now.

@nzenigma was telling me one of his mechanic pals had very recently just had an i30 with front seal issues and excessive end float.

My instinct is it's a manual with excessive play and seals popping out, seems to match what we've heard about so far.

Not sure about all the other combinations you talk about or whether you can repair. I(f you have the equipment, sometimes a cheap low k used motor could be a quick and reliable solution,

I expect Gary will have some relevant input, all mine are diesels

Chances are those other threads are locked. Did you save the links?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mods are free to unlock the topics - they get auto-locked after a certain period of inactivity ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Tony,
you dont mention transmission. I assume it is a manual. Seems that clutch pressure and a batch of bad thrust bearings are the culprit.

The one that tw2005 refers to had about 12 thou play and we found little of one thrust was still existing.

Oil pump will be ok. It seems that the movement distorts the pump enough to pressure the seal.
The crank journal will probably be scored so new thrusts will die quickly......  :head_knock:  a low Ks wrecker motor is probably most economical solution.

"I expect this seal only gets oil pressure and not crankcase pressure, is this correct? Or is there a drain port from the seal back to sump?"

The seal is primarily an OIL seal. There is, and has to be, a drain to sump. The seal has some PCV function the same as does the seal on the dip stick.

Sorry, been through all the the PCV babble before, but at end of the day your crank is RS. Drop the sump and check.  :cool:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 20:17:44 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tone944

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Thanks everyone, that clarifies things a lot. I appreciate your replies.

Still seems amazing to me that thrust bearings can fail, then cause so much grief, but the evidence all stacks up and makes sense. Definite design flaw (or as NZenigma says, bad batch of bearings) if an engine can't do more than 90,000 kms without throwing thrust bearings, no matter how much someone abuses the clutch this shouldn't happen.

I'm guessing by the consensus that a replacement engine is the way to go, that there is no such thing as an oversized thrust to allow machining of the crank?

Oh well, it is what it is...
  • i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks everyone, that clarifies things a lot. I appreciate your replies.

Still seems amazing to me that thrust bearings can fail, then cause so much grief, but the evidence all stacks up and makes sense. Definite design flaw (or as NZenigma says, bad batch of bearings) if an engine can't do more than 90,000 kms without throwing thrust bearings, no matter how much someone abuses the clutch this shouldn't happen.

I'm guessing by the consensus that a replacement engine is the way to go, that there is no such thing as an oversized thrust to allow machining of the crank?

Oh well, it is what it is...

Yep as you say!

I assume that it WAS a manual from what you say. Also my last one had only done 90k km.

However, there have been no reports from Europe of the problem(  :undecided:  :whistler: :head_butt: ) and they are almost all manual drive up there.

So limited batch of bad thrust collar / bearing  seems reasonable.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
there's no oversize offered in the genuine parts list. I'd be looking at auto motors that have not been subject to thrust of the clutch being operated and swapping the flywheel over
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal